Can we still afford to shop at Thai supermarkets?

webfact

44 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

People drive up from Bangkok to load up with kilos of the stuff,

In the real world the shop would be on-line and people wouldn't have to drive half the length of the country to buy from them. Just imagine the business they are losing. Assuming that your claim is correct, of course.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Fortunately we keep a Tibetan milking goat in our garden and she has bountiful teats

We have a place near us that must have 30 goats or more. I wondered why, and then saw the price of goats milk in the supermarket.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hmm. The exchange rate is still ok compared to a year or two ago. I've been here neary 10 years and the price for most produce seems much the same.

Yes, petrol/diesel has gone up again. For the first time it cost me over 100 Baht (117 Baht) to fill my motorbike.

Our car is diesel. Hopefully the Government will cap the price.

26 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Funnily enough I recently watched a case in South Africa where a doctor was prosecuted for propagating a diet based purely on meat and fat....literally.

He won the case based on the evidence he presented.......have to say he did look ultra fit for his age.

And coronary heart disease, diabetes and stroke are in the top 5 leading causes of death in that country with an average life expectancy of 64 years.

9 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

In the real world the shop would be on-line and people wouldn't have to drive half the length of the country to buy from them. Just imagine the business they are losing. Assuming that your claim is correct, of course.

Not sure why the quote you are replying to, is attributed to me, I certainly didn't say it, those are the words of Lacessit ..... not really important, but strange how that happened  

8 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Not sure why the quote you are replying to, is attributed to me, I certainly didn't say it, those are the words of Lacessit ..... not really important, but strange how that happened  

Yes, I see that now. Somehow it happened as you quoted him. Life is full of mystery. I'll try again ????

Edited by Bangkok Barry

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

There's a shop near the clock tower in Chiang Rai that sells sai ua, the Northern Thai herbal sausage. People drive up from Bangkok to load up with kilos of the stuff, there's usually at least one Merc, Beemer or minivan with Bangkok plates parked outside when I buy mine.

24 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Hmm. The exchange rate is still ok compared to a year or two ago. I've been here neary 10 years and the price for most produce seems much the same.

Yes, petrol/diesel has gone up again. For the first time it cost me over 100 Baht (117 Baht) to fill my motorbike.

Our car is diesel. Hopefully the Government will cap the price.

What did you fill it with? Water?  I filled my X-Max yesterday as it was on fumes and it ran me 400 Baht.........and that was for just under 12 litres here in BKK of course that is very similar to what I have been paying within 20 baht either way for the past year.

• Thanks 1

What many westerns don't realize is that in many cases Thai people have more money than them. 

Go to high end places in Bangkok and Pattaya. They're very busy, often can't get a seat in a luxury restaurant if you don't book in advance.

Look around in the streets and you can see Porsches and Benz (which are already overpriced by over 200% here). Over 95% of these owned by Thai people. Depending on where you go Lambos and Ferraris can be seen too and they can cost around a million USD here.

High end supermarkets doing very well, Thais love high end products and some western food. Korean/Japanese strawberries and grapes at over 1000b for a small box, and they get sold.

I won't even mention the girls.

The time of being seen as a "wealthy" farang with your retirement is behind you. You can still get by but you'll need to be careful with your expenses and avoid certain places. The reality is that perhaps 20% of Thai people are way wealthier than you and this number is increasing.

• Like 2

You cannot judge inflation from looking at individual product's price. I don't dont buy avocados, while onion and potatoes seems for me to be about same price level as two years ago.

When I say two years ago it's because you cannot use the Covid-pandemic period for comparison, prices dropped below normal, engine fuel is double up at the moment compared to the lowest price during the pandemic. Crude oil price per barrel was as low as $11.26 during 2020, now it's $103.41, and before the pandemic it was around $60.

The Thai consumer price index is 103.1 at end of January - we don't have the February figure yet - looking two years back to 2020, just before the pandemic, the index was around 100, before it dropped. So in average the consumer prices have increased by 3 percent in two years, which is about 1.5 percent each year and slightly below the 2 percent margin economic experts recommend for inflation.
(Source: Thailand Consumer Price Index.)

Exchange rate however, is a serious matter for expats depending on foreign money. Normally we see Thai baht compared to USD, but for the individual it can vary depending of our home country's currency compared to USD. Again we should look outside the pandemic and odd financials during the period. Two year ago you got around 31,50 baht for the 1 USD, at the moment you get around 32.5 baht for 1 USD (right now 32.57).

(Source: Echangerates.org.uk)

So generally you don't get less baht if USD is your source, than you did just before the pandemic - you actually get 3 percent more - and consumer prices have in average increased 3 percent over two years, so pretty much status quo, even if your money source has not been indexed; however avocado and carrots might still be more expensive than before.

But if you widen the view to five years, the exchange rate back then was 35 baht for the dollar and the Thai consumer price index just below 98; so about 7 percent less baht for foreign currency - which can be more or less for some currencies - and little more than 5 percent consumer price index increase.

Right now and in the near future prices might become quite odd due to the ongoing conflict - war - in Ukraine, and some of us might need to adjust our lifestyle.

Was very surprised at the price of Mangoes in Phuket markets. Same price as France, and honestly, the ones we get in France are nicer. Mostly from Peru. The ones I bought in phuket are the  often 120 B kilo, and no taste. 

• Like 1

Thai baht to US dollar when I arrived June 25, 2010 from America?  32.42.  Today? 32.56.   Vive la difference.  Meanwhile, my regular COLAs are keeping pace with any price increases here.  Gasoline is definitely higher--same story in the US--but my partner and I haven't found food prices to have increased all that much. 

It helps to shop the specials at the big supermarkets and also shop at the cheaper local markets when you can.  It also helps to know which stores usually have good deals on certain items and which stores usually don't.  We like apples and find one chain store to be expensive.  But, we know another chain usually has packs of 4 Fuji apples for around 35 baht.  This chain only carries expensive maple syrup while the chain with the pricey apples has a much cheaper brand that tastes fine--we stock up when we are there.  

Inexpensive compared to America is eating out and ordering food by Grab.  It can be hit or miss but we have found some good Grab food.  Our favorite might be a shop that specializes in chicken pad thai.  Good quality chicken, generous portion, delicious, delivered to our door for 90 baht a serving.  We can walk down the street to a nice, air-conditioned restaurant that has some entrees under 100 baht; many are under 200 baht.   Sometimes it can almost be as cheap to eat out or order Grab as it is to cook--nice.   As I've said before, if one is struggling here, likely it would also be a struggle back in the home country.

4 hours ago, vandeventer said:

We must be very lucky when the rest of the world are hurting so badly for food. Even in the USA people are stocking up on can food as their shelves are getting more and more empty. Count your blessings as things could get a lot worst than they are now.

I am pretty sure that’s an over exaggeration, maybe the vegan gluten free no sugar wontons are out of stock in USA but no one’s starving 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

What's needed here is Lidl or Aldi and they would shake up the whole Supermarket price racket; which is what it is with almost all Local Malls and Supermarkets now in the hands of one family.   Naturally; the Germans would not be allowed in as they would be  'Competition', which is a dirty word to Thai Billionaire's ears !

Yes that Thai Billionairs, will do everything in their power to keep those two German superpowers out.

At the time when the Makro came here apparently they weren't that powerful yet, however this days they taken over that dutch company. 

Lol

CP Group owns Makro

CP Group Owns Lotus's

CP Group owns 7-11

CP Group wholesales to most or all of their competitors: Tops (Central), Big C (Charoen), CJ Express, TMK, et cetera

When my wife asks me who has the best prices, my answer is always the same: It depends on what you want to buy, and when.

Different stores have different promotions at different times. And each store has their own policy about when they feel they can make a little more on something, and when they have to settle for a little less. 

Across the board---when all the high profit and low profit things are added together---all the majors probably make about the same profit percentage. What we see as consumers can vary quite a bit only because of the choices WE make. 

Think about it: If CP Group were making a lower profit percentage overall at Makro stores than at Lotus's, why wouldn't they replace the Makro stores with Lotus's? 

CP Group doesn't have three different kinds of stores (7-11, Makro, Lotus's) because they make more profit percentage at one, and less at another.  They have three different kinds of stores because they appeal to different kinds of customers. But if one truly started to pull away on its profitability, CP Group would shift more and more in that direction! 

But the bottom line is, the *ahem* "best place to shop" has everything to do with what YOU want: What you want to buy, and when you want to buy it!

Because I guarantee you, if you want to waste a bunch of time (and money on petrol), you can do better shopping at ALL the stores, instead of fousing on just one! 

But who wants to go to Lotus's to check the prices, then go to Big C to compare them, and then to Makro to compare theirs to the other two? And then who wants to buy a few things while you're still at Makro, then go BACK to Big C and Lotus's for those things with the price advantages! (That's FIVE STOPS altogether, to save...... how much? [Probably not as much as you spent in petrol, at today's roughly 3km=10baht, to drive a car!] 

---------------

---------------

And my wife and me? We have settled on doing about 80% of our "Supermarket" shopping at Big C. It is the closest major to us (14km), and fairly regularly has good promos we can take advantage of:

* Spend 299 baht and can buy certain other things at better-than-sale prices.

* Spend 700 baht, get 60 baht discount / spend 1,300 baht, get 120 baht discount. 

* Use card and get points. Use points to pay part of the bill. 

* Shop in the early evening and take advantage of "Yellow Tag" clearances. Bakery products usually 25% off (the crispy pizza for 38 baht is pretty darn good! 555); in-house prepared foods for a quick microwave snack later at 25% off; near expiration fresh milk at half price (which my stepson will guzzle down in a day, anyway!), etc. 

* And we watch for sales: Buy 2, get 1; buy 1 get 1. Discounts on rarely discounted items. Not shy about stocking up a little on something we'll use anyway!

(Me: Jack 'n Jill Chocolate cookies, with chocolate center! [The milk chocolate colored ones, not the dark, like Oreos! 555] Sometimes 44 baht for 1 pound multipack. Sufficiently satisfies my chocolate craving, and much cheaper than buying "real" expensive-in-Thailand chocolate! 555 I'll buy 6 to 8 multipack when they're on sale! 555)

We'll only go to Lotus's or Makro if we're in the neighborhood already, or there's something we really want/need and only they have. ("American" Peanut Butter---JIF/Skippy---in 1kg jar. Much cheaper this way than half-sized containers at Big C or Lotus's! Best Foods "Real Mayonnaise" in a 1kg squeeze bag, [which I've since found in Lotus's "bulk" area, also! 555 Love that stuff!]) 

Fresh fruits and veggies come almost exclusively from the open market, but not meat. Never meat! (Hey, if fly poop/eggs had a nice crunch to it....... 555)

Honestly, for what we buy, for ourselves and for our hotel, I haven't really seen much of a change. Mostly I've seen the seasonal changes we see every year: Price for oranges goes up, price for oranges goes down! Nicer oranges are a little more expensive, not as nice oranges are a little cheaper! But come on! 30-35 baht for a kilogram? That's CHEAP! 555

Cheers!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Lol

CP Group owns Makro

CP Group Owns Lotus's

CP Group owns 7-11

CP Group wholesales to most or all of their competitors: Tops (Central), Big C (Charoen), CJ Express, TMK, et cetera

When my wife asks me who has the best prices, my answer is always the same: It depends on what you want to buy, and when.

Different stores have different promotions at different times. And each store has their own policy about when they feel they can make a little more on something, and when they have to settle for a little less. 

Across the board---when all the high profit and low profit things are added together---all the majors probably make about the same profit percentage. What we see as consumers can vary quite a bit only because of the choices WE make. 

Think about it: If CP Group were making a lower profit percentage overall at Makro stores than at Lotus's, why wouldn't they replace the Makro stores with Lotus's? 

CP Group doesn't have three different kinds of stores (7-11, Makro, Lotus's) because they make more profit percentage at one, and less at another.  They have three different kinds of stores because they appeal to different kinds of customers. But if one truly started to pull away on its profitability, CP Group would shift more and more in that direction! 

But the bottom line is, the *ahem* "best place to shop" has everything to do with what YOU want: What you want to buy, and when you want to buy it!

Because I guarantee you, if you want to waste a bunch of time (and money on petrol), you can do better shopping at ALL the stores, instead of fousing on just one! 

But who wants to go to Lotus's to check the prices, then go to Big C to compare them, and then to Makro to compare theirs to the other two? And then who wants to buy a few things while you're still at Makro, then go BACK to Big C and Lotus's for those things with the price advantages! (That's FIVE STOPS altogether, to save...... how much? [Probably not as much as you spent in petrol, at today's roughly 3km=10baht, to drive a car!] 

---------------

---------------

And my wife and me? We have settled on doing about 80% of our "Supermarket" shopping at Big C. It is the closest major to us (14km), and fairly regularly has good promos we can take advantage of:

* Spend 299 baht and can buy certain other things at better-than-sale prices.

* Spend 700 baht, get 60 baht discount / spend 1,300 baht, get 120 baht discount. 

* Use card and get points. Use points to pay part of the bill. 

* Shop in the early evening and take advantage of "Yellow Tag" clearances. Bakery products usually 25% off (the crispy pizza for 38 baht is pretty darn good! 555); in-house prepared foods for a quick microwave snack later at 25% off; near expiration fresh milk at half price (which my stepson will guzzle down in a day, anyway!), etc. 

* And we watch for sales: Buy 2, get 1; buy 1 get 1. Discounts on rarely discounted items. Not shy about stocking up a little on something we'll use anyway!

(Me: Jack 'n Jill Chocolate cookies, with chocolate center! [The milk chocolate colored ones, not the dark, like Oreos! 555] Sometimes 44 baht for 1 pound multipack. Sufficiently satisfies my chocolate craving, and much cheaper than buying "real" expensive-in-Thailand chocolate! 555 I'll buy 6 to 8 multipack when they're on sale! 555)

We'll only go to Lotus's or Makro if we're in the neighborhood already, or there's something we really want/need and only they have. ("American" Peanut Butter---JIF/Skippy---in 1kg jar. Much cheaper this way than half-sized containers at Big C or Lotus's! Best Foods "Real Mayonnaise" in a 1kg squeeze bag, [which I've since found in Lotus's "bulk" area, also! 555 Love that stuff!]) 

Fresh fruits and veggies come almost exclusively from the open market, but not meat. Never meat! (Hey, if fly poop/eggs had a nice crunch to it....... 555)

Honestly, for what we buy, for ourselves and for our hotel, I haven't really seen much of a change. Mostly I've seen the seasonal changes we see every year: Price for oranges goes up, price for oranges goes down! Nicer oranges are a little more expensive, not as nice oranges are a little cheaper! But come on! 30-35 baht for a kilogram? That's CHEAP! 555

Cheers!

Agree - shop around and there's money to be saved. 

All the supermarkets have buy one get one promotions - even Villa Market!

https://shop.villamarket.com/catalog/Special Offer/Buy 1 Get 1 Free/All

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

What's needed here is Lidl or Aldi and they would shake up the whole Supermarket price racket; which is what it is with almost all Local Malls and Supermarkets now in the hands of one family.   Naturally; the Germans would not be allowed in as they would be  'Competition', which is a dirty word to Thai Billionaire's ears !

And it is not only the price but the products as well. Some procurement managers here obviously have an extremely unlucky hand for they pick mostly inferior products if they could have much better quality at the same price. Maybe they are forced to do so or they dont have the knowledge how a 36 months old parmesan is different from a 12 months old one.

I am still desperately looking for really tasty orange juice and apple juice (regardless of price). I knew exactly what to import and people would love it. As a private person and without company I most probably could not do it so I am seriously thinking of talking to some managers here or restaurant owners who could maybe try to follow my recommendations and import on their behalf. They would make a lot of money if advertised properly then.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

That said, I have to say with my western habits I do not think I will venture to these outside markets to buy my chicken, as the flies everywhere tend to put me off.

Don't think that those same flies haven't been on your veg also! Flies aren't fussy, they'll vomit and defecate on anything.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

I think it is mostly due to greed by sellers to increase prices because they think all foreigners are wealthy. How wrong can they be?

How wrong could you be?!   The supermarkets in Thailand have way more Thai customers than foreign customers...obviously.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pomchop said:

"I would say my personal food shop has gone up around 20% in the last six months, especially if I stick to the expat-type style supermarkets."

These expat markets selling western foods have always been premium priced....if u want western food maybe live in the west or if you MUST have it in Thailand be prepared to pay major premiums.  Never ceases to amaze me how many falangs move to Thailand and then try to eat/drink like they are back in their home country.

well said that man ..my opinion exactly..

5 hours ago, bdenner said:

Having always had an unlimited food and beer budget I buy what I want where I want, rarely look at price. If I couldn't do that I wouldn't be able to sleep at night wondering where I went wrong during my working life!

I can afford to do that but am still tight.... prices mean little to me other than Villa, which raises my eyebrows!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterphuket said:

Yes that Thai Billionairs, will do everything in their power to keep those two German superpowers out.

At the time when the Makro came here apparently they weren't that powerful yet, however this days they taken over that dutch company. 

oh what I'd give to happily walk around Lidl and Aldi in Pattaya ..as if eh 

• Haha 1

A Lotus Go Fresh was opened about 600 meters from my house. So, I usually walk there a couple of times per week. Better products than the market across the street, although I still go there, too. For Western food and deli meats, I walk to the Foodland about 3 km away. Only drawback to this arrangement is that the Go Fresh does not stock the same items consistently. But when they do, their potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, and apples are much, much better and cheaper. Yes, it's a lot of places to visit to get what you want at the preferred prices. But I've got the time to do so these days. And the exercise walking is a healthy alternative to driving around in some polluting car or truck.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, John Drake said:

And the exercise walking is a healthy alternative to driving around in some polluting car or truck.

Would not be healthy where I live... stand a good chance of getting bitten by a feral dog, or hit by a 7 year old racing around on a stripped down Wave.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1