Chang beer price increase

itsari

Any small breweries (if allowed to start up) will not be able to seel a 620ml bottle for less than 90 Bht.

Certainly the quality will be better.

If it is possible get your beer by the carton. I am paying under 50 Baht delivered still

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, stigar said:

After been living there for years nohing surprise me.

Nothing surprises me either 

You need to look closer at how things work here . Same as the beverage business

5 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Any small breweries (if allowed to start up) will not be able to seel a 620ml bottle for less than 90 Bht.

Certainly the quality will be better.

If it is possible get your beer by the carton. I am paying under 50 Baht delivered still

No such possibility of a small brewery to compete in the market . Please get the drift 

10 minutes ago, itsari said:

Nothing surprises me either 

You need to look closer at how things work here . Same as the beverage business

Well..Heiniken allready said their prices migth raise 30% worldwide.

6 hours ago, JoePai said:

I’m always surprised when posters have the temerity to call Leo, Chang, Singha et al, beer in the first place

Agreed, and it does seem to be a small price to pay to get pickled with all the formaldehyde they must have used.

My wife (who runs a small shop) was told by her main wholesaler that their beer prices were going up TODAY - she would have to collect before 5 p.m. So she bought 10 boxes. Prices were going up by up to 50 baht a box. If you are only paying 57 baht, you are lucky - or maybe that was the last price rise; new stock maybe more?

16 hours ago, tonray said:

The little shack down the road from our moobaan sells Leo bottles for 60 baht, apparently I've been living large.

In my small corner of Isaan, some village shops sell Leo at 60 some 65 baht, some sell Chang at 55, some at 60 baht etc.

I don't really care as I like to go to different places for my afternoon beer.

It's no different to being in say Pattaya where bars charge varying prices for the same product.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Well, for the price of one beer in a Thai supermarket I can can get four or five in a Spanish supermarket. Tastes better too.

I've tried that, but it's a hassle getting a flight to Spain, then a flight back, for a cheaper better beer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andycoops said:

In my small corner of Isaan, some village shops sell Leo at 60 some 65 baht, some sell Chang at 55, some at 60 baht etc.

I don't really care as I like to go to different places for my afternoon beer.

It's no different to being in say Pattaya where bars charge varying prices for the same product.

All the small shops were charging 55 baht in my area  until yesterday with the exception of one new shop with tiles on the floor was charging 56 .

My complaint is not with the shops but with the beverage companies protection from the government .

13 hours ago, DezLez said:

My next door Mom&Pop do not get from the Supermarket!

They have theirs, and mine, delivered by a bike and sidecar delivery bloke who delivers a box of Chang for 20 Baht cheaper than us collecting directly from the local Big C in CM.

I spoke too soon.

Ordered a box of 12 big Chang last night, just had them delivered and the price has gone up 10 Baht a box to 610.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I can't understand the temerity of anyone, anywhere, referring to "lager" as beer.

Oh another who does not know what they drink,

For your (and others) education Lager is a Beer - only difference is the type of yeast i.e. bottom v's top fermenting

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JoePai said:

For your (and others) education Lager is a Beer - only difference is the type of yeast i.e. bottom v's top fermenting

Call them what you want, they are all beers.  I wouldn't put too much stock their labelling, as they seem to call them whatever they think is marketable.  If you like it, drink it.

One person's idea what an Amber, Light, Dark Lager or Ale is, surely will be different from someone else.  Porter vs Stout for instance ... it's all marketing, except for the purist, who make up the rules as they go.  They were called a 'stout porter' in the beginning.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoePai said:

Oh, another who does not know what sarcasm is.  Nothing that you can post is an "education" as I'm well aware of the qualities of what I consider to be beer.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, itsari said:
17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There is no beer brewery in Thailand with a monopoly on the business, actual or "more or less".   

Then you continue to show you know little Lou

Prove me wrong with how much you know, then.   Which company has the beer brewing monopoly in Thailand? 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Call them what you want, they are all beers.  I wouldn't put too much stock their labelling, as they seem to call them whatever they think is marketable.  If you like it, drink it.

One person's idea what an Amber, Light, Dark Lager or Ale is, surely will be different from someone else.  Porter vs Stout for instance ... it's all marketing, except for the purist, who make up the rules as they go.  They were called a 'stout porter' in the beginning.

Not true, Porters came before "Stout Porters" i.e. Stout was a stronger Porter

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Oh, another who does not know what sarcasm is.  Nothing that you can post is an "education" as I'm well aware of the qualities of what I consider to be beer.  

Stop digging.....

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, The Oracle said:

An absolutely *cracking* beer. 
I tried it when it came out and haven't looked back.  It's  55 baht per bottle where I am (a five baht discount on the original Leo to stimulate sales ,I assume) but I buy it by the box at 585.

Agree The Oracle , at last Leo 8 and not too bad for lager.  The off licence here sells it for 589 B a case. Strong means more flavour not more alc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoePai said:

Not true, Porters came before "Stout Porters" i.e. Stout was a stronger Porter

That pretty much what I said, just didn't use the 'chicken / egg' thingy, and who can say which, as I wasn't there.  Quote from link below:   

https://vinepair.com/wine-blog/difference-between-porter-stout-beer/

"As more brewers across England made porters, experimentation naturally followed. Brewmasters would tweak recipes, add different ingredients and boost the alcohol content, and thus the stout was born. That’s right, all a stout technically is, is a stronger – or stouter – version of a porter. In fact, its original name was “stout porter.”

Who determines something being 'stout' ... also an opinion.  As most adjectives can be. 

I prefer an Amber, so it's labelled, but has a deeper color than most lagers I see not labelled pale.  Is a 'dark' beer / ale darker due to 'beer' ingredients, or simply a bit more caramel, or coloring for that matter.

Read elsewhere, simply called porter, since porters were the one to drink and or fetch them.  Go figure.  Wasn't there, so haven't a clue, and don't care.  

Talk origin of the word 'Hoagie' to describe a submarine / baguette sandwich, and you'll get different versions.  Wasn't there either, and prefer the Hog Is version.

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Prove me wrong with how much you know, then.   Which company has the beer brewing monopoly in Thailand? 

Read the Guardian article on asia now listed on the story bangkoks illicit craft breweries 

Perhaps you will believe the Guardian far more than myself .

I did not need to read the article as i am fully aware how the large beverage companies do business in Thailand 

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Reads like a monopoly to me, 2 companies anyway.   Big 3 with about 99% of market share:

"Most popular brands are Singha, Leo, Chang and Heineken. The rest 1% market share consists of Thai craft beers with 50-60 brands and international brands or super premium beers with a wide selection of products and more than 100 brands available in the market."

https://www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.com/export/sites/trade/files/market_studies/Studie Beer Market in Thailand.pdf

1. Boon Rawd beers: Singha, Leo, U, Snow, Asahi

2.ThaiBev Brands: Chang, Archa, Federbräu

Doesn't leave much:

3. Thai Asia Pacific Brewery: Heineken , Tiger, Cheers, Cheers X-Tra

In terms of brand, market leaders are:

Leo (53%)

Chang (35%)

Singha (7%) 

Heineken (4- 5%)

Thailand mainly produces lagers which represent 99% of the market. Most popular brands are Singha, Leo, Chang and Heineken

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2022 at 12:14 PM, Kwasaki said:

Price depends on where you live. 

Price where you live can be different sure . But the price increase will most probably be 3,6 percent all over the country .

55 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That’s right, all a stout technically is, is a stronger – or stouter – version of a porter. In fact, its original name was “stout porter.”

The original name was Porter (not stout porter) - it was only later that a brew was called a Stout 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, alien365 said:

Tell me about it. I just went to lotus and a box of tiger is now ฿652! It uses to be ฿620 and a few months ago 610. If it keeps going up I'm going to cut out beer altogether and just drink whisky. Thanks government for pushing me towards the harder stuff. 

I will rent another apartment and fill it with beer.

If the price continues to go up, I will sell the bottle Chang for 80Baht

Space to hold 100.000 bottles.

I went already to see the local Lamborghini dealer to see, where I will spend my future profits.

3 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I only drink that MY beer (less alcohol at 4.5% - God knows how you people drink Chang and Singha at 5%). Splash of lime and some ice, lovely jubbly. Now if only they would bring the price of that lime cordial down !

My father came to visit me while living in Norway . I was under the false impression that all alcohol must be bought at the government run shop called the vinmonopol  I purchased the only beer they had which was called elephant beer . My father after having tried a few of the beers asked if i had more elephant beer . Sure i have more i said . Good as it has hell of a kick to it he replied .

Elephant beer is around 8 percent and that is why it is sold in the government alcohol outlet as i found out later . 

I don't drink that much beer, or would consider home brewing.  May be drinking less in the future, as been out of for a while.  Not the price, but availability.  Apparently Boon Rawd / Singha isn't putting much Kopper Craft in production, or simply not being ordered where I am, as 7-11, original distributor, nor Makro are stocking of late, here or the ones in Hua Hin I peeked at.  

Strange, as stock goes fast at local Makro when it is there.  Go figure, so more than just me buying.  Local 7-11, I can understand, as I may have been the only customer, and stopped buying there, since cheaper by the slab at Makra.

An aside, on brewing, bought Bailey's as a treat last month, damn tasty & expensive stuff.  Tested an easy online 'copy' receipt, and damn tasty, using Jameson. Not bad by itself chilled, if a whiskey drinker, which I'm not, as can't find Crown here.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

I will rent another apartment and fill it with beer.

If the price continues to go up, I will sell the bottle Chang for 80Baht

Space to hold 100.000 bottles.

I went already to see the local Lamborghini dealer to see, where I will spend my future profits.

With all that beer as furniture, you can raise the rent

• Like 1
  • Haha 1