Bangkok’s illicit craft brewers risk arrest under draconian laws

webfact

19 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

I’m surprised that a couple of you ex special forces guys don’t pony up the 10 million Baht and partner one of these young Thai brewers…

Yes, I see your point exactly .

Just sell a few bitcoin and get started . 10 million should be small change for them .

But there could be a few obstacles on the way if you tried .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

You can see the PM's viewpoint. Do you remember early in the pandemic, around May 2020, Prayut announced his Covid recovery fund which was to be stuffed with oodles of cash by the richest people in the country? This was at the time that he'd also banned all booze sales entirely across the nation, and he refused to lift the ban until the owners of Boon Rawd and ThaiBev coughed up a few billion Baht for his personal Covid recovery fund. Now that was easily done given that there are only two brewers of note in the country, but imagine if the poor old Nayok had had to deal with dozens, or even hundreds, of small breweries instead? Why his recovery fund would hardly have been able to get off the ground, lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

In the UK the advent of CAMRA and more recently the craft beer brewers have had the effect of making the bigger brewers widen their product range and offer better beers

To their credit, the monopoly brewers in Thailand have done the same, albeit to a miniscule extent. I find Tapper, Leo 8, Cheers Extra and Siam Weizen from Cheers to be half-decent, to the extent that I never now touch Chang, Singha and rarely the traditional Leo. But it is just a <deleted> in the ocean compared to more enlightened countries.

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

It is a pathetic and corrupt situation which demonstrates that the large breweries and everyone involved in the legislative system regarding this matter is absolutely rotten to the very core.

There should be a full audit of the bank accounts / assets for everyone involved and their families going back for the last 10 to 20 years to find out just how this situation came into being and still exists.

I suspect there will be a massive trail of corruption and bribery

There will be corruption for sure cos that is how Thailand business works . What makes the brewing laws a farce is that I have seen boxes of fake canned Heineken lager , on the back of a motor bike trailer , coming over the Cambodian/ Thai border and being waved in by the Thai immigration . There was a video on you tube showing  the manufacturing in what looked like a dirty Cambodian  workshop .

Further more , there was a time when you could order your favourite beer from an online store but the authorities put a stop on that with the excuse that under age folk were buying it . It is possible to buy some less popular beers from Tops but how do they get round the regulations of production rates ?

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

I suspect there will be a massive trail of corruption and bribery

Yes, and the corrupt *_!***!s will accuse the outsiders of being the corrupt ones.  That's the way it's done.

Going after beer nerds, the real menace to society.

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 1

blatent corruption and sleaze but a woman and a boat in bkk .her mother just wanted a mill bucks what a bunch of sleaze bags inside and out,theres no law or moral compass,im not going to jail heres the money,how much???well its all over the papers so i guess i must pay.pathetic is a generous term