Thailand is transitioning to an endemic, so what happens now if you catch COVID?

webfact

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I can see why Thais follow the process but most farang won't bother to report test results due to the costs that will be pinned on them

Only makes sense but I do not understand where these big numbers are coming from. On 2 occassions recently I have gone to the doctor for respiratory problems. First with appoint, second at emergency. No Vovid19 test given either time. I fully expected it but did not see any being administered

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I can see why Thais follow the process but most farang won't bother to report test results due to the costs that will be pinned on them

What costs are those?

Come on... weren’t you warming a stool at the bar when ‘they' started taking about how all these ‘farangs’ are receiving fake positive test result and being fleeced for 100,000’s of baht by the hotels (hospitels) who are profiting... :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

The fact of the matter is that Thais are going to have to learn to live at home with their runny noses for a few days, just like the rest of the world has been doing for some tine now, 

I'm sure the more enterprising gamblers will devise a Snotto Lotto ???? Hotty totty here we come

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Come on... weren’t you warming a stool at the bar when ‘they' started taking about how all these ‘farangs’ are receiving fake positive test result and being fleeced for 100,000’s of baht by the hotels (hospitels) who are profiting... :whistling:

No

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:
16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

No

I think you may have missed the point I was making about these sort of rumours being spread by those who love to sit at a bar, gossip and spread negative and fanciful conspiracy theories... 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:
2 hours ago, Guderian said:

Too much of a money-making opportunity for the hospitals and hotels, they'll never want to relax things.

I couldn't agree more with that part.

You think the hospitals and hotels are making more money now than they were when there were no restrictions on tourists entering the country ???

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are three main scenarios. 

1) ATK+ at home - self isolate do nothing else. No need for authorities to know (most ppl are doing this, some are altering authorities who send a ‘care package’ (usually late 3-5 days - not sure if they do for foreigners, but it doesn’t really matter - its rubbish). . 

2) PCR+ at clinic or hospital - discuss with MoPH to self isolate (most self isolate now unless strong symptoms), authorities send a care package (not sure if they do for foreigners, but it doesn’t really matter - its rubbish). . 

3) PCR+ upon arrival (T&G) - this is dealt with more seriously as if you are presenting grave risk to Thailand, if symptom free (or very mild) you may be forced into Hospitel which insurance may not cover. My insurance has a list of hospitals that can treat me (no hospitels on that) - Thus, if testing positive, fake symptoms get hospital treatment that insurance covers !

since 15.2 symptoms for hospitalisation are 39.5C for minimum 24h before admission or breathing rate over 25 per minute.

It's difficult to exaggerate those symptoms easily.

Other symptoms are not important.

You can say you had high fever before getting tested, but in the hospital they measure temperature minimum 3x per day and under supervision of nurse

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I imagine a lot of people, foreign or Thai have had it already without realizing, due to mild or no symptoms.

The 3-day or weekly ATK testing requirements are mostly just there for people working here or schoolchildren.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

The fact of the matter is that Thais are going to have to learn to live at home with their runny noses for a few days, just like the rest of the world has been doing for some tine now, 

Several months ago my Thai wife came down with fever/chills and did a home ATK test and it was positive for covid and she reported it to the authorities, they told her to report to a nice hotel (not some open field hospital) where she stayed free of charge for about 8 days.  Now, just this week as she was visiting family in Issan she started feeling ill again (slight fever/chills) and did another ATK test at home and it's positive, but this time she's just self isolating in one of her mom's spare room above their restaurant, even today 2 days after testing positive she says she feels fine, but will isolate a few more days.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, internationalism said:

since 15.2 symptoms for hospitalisation are 39.5C for minimum 24h before admission or breathing rate over 25 per minute.

It's difficult to exaggerate those symptoms easily.

Other symptoms are not important.

You can say you had high fever before getting tested, but in the hospital they measure temperature minimum 3x per day and under supervision of nurse

I agree... IF you have Thai issued insurance - IF you have international issued insurance I think IF you make enough ‘noise’ and refuse to go to a hospitel (at a charge), they may either let you go home and isolate there, or admit you into a hospital so insurance can pay. 

This is of course just a guess... But nothing is ever as rigid as things seem.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bbko said:

Several months ago my Thai wife came down with fever/chills and did a home ATK test and it was positive for covid and she reported it to the authorities, they told her to report to a nice hotel (not some open field hospital) where she stayed free of charge for about 8 days.  Now, just this week as she was visiting family in Issan she started feeling ill again (slight fever/chills) and did another ATK test at home and it's positive, but this time she's just self isolating in one of her mom's spare room above their restaurant, even today 2 days after testing positive she says she feels fine, but will isolate a few more days.  

Wife, Son and Wife’s Parents all had Covid a few weeks ago.

Wife called the ‘Covid line’...  received a call back 3 days later (symptoms already passed) - 2 days later they sent a care package which contained a load of useless stuff (Masks, Cloves, Gel, rehydrating salts, O2 reader and a few other items) - they said they would not send Favipiravir as that was in short supply and my Wife and son had mild symptoms. 

Wife called the ‘Covid line’ for her parents who returned a call to them, they received a ‘care package’ which included Favipiravir.

Both care packages arrived 5 days after calling the ‘covid line’ - which is pretty useless as the favipiravir as an antiviral is most effective when taken as early as possible. 

Thus: In-laws (and Wife and I by proxy) now have a supply of Favipiravir just incase we catch Covid-19 again and worry that we may come down with more severe symptoms if there is another variant (no harm in keep the drug on standby).

In all cases (Wife, Son, Wife’s parents) - they were told to stay at home and isolate for 10 days.

No idea if location makes a difference - this is in central Bangkok.

• Like 1