At least five passengers killed and 30 others injured in bus accident in Thailand

webfact

Take a look at this 2015 - Consulting Service in Relation to the Development of Safe Road Usage Action Plans 
for the Department of Land Transport Report

https://www.dlt.go.th/site/ltsb/download.php?ref=rS9jET1Oq09ZGT1BM1q0G2yRrS9jDz1Hq19ZpJ1SM2I0oTyvrTSjqT1sqlMZp21yM2k0nJyzrS9joJ1kq0IZMJ1jM3y0qTysrPMjZT0mqmEZA21kM0I0MTycrS8oSo3Q

Especially Page 6-2 the Road Safety Action Plan

Ask yourself in 2022 has any of these DLT strategies been implemented that has made a significant positive difference in the reduction of road accidents and associated deaths in Thailand.

Of course, it's a rhetorical question?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Would that as per the Thaivisa Members' Traffic Act B.E. 2565?  The Land Traffic Act, B.E. 2522 (1979) doesn't seem to mention it but, well, you know...

It's what my policeman brother-in-law recently told my wife. My asking why the police don't enforce that or any other laws except pub closing times seemed inappropriate, bearing in mind he signs forms I receive in which I have to confirm I'm not dead yet. It isn't supposed to be signed by a family member but, well, you know....

I'm guessing that the law might have been amended/updated since 1979. I don't know.

13 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Limit is probably 90 kph! 

Do those coaches have their own, often see 3 categories on the motorway limit signs.? It didn't look like there was a lot of headroom either and I would expect to be slowing down for it. 

(Has the video been taken down?)

2 hours ago, Wagga said:

What the hell has the 'outside' lane got to do with it ???

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT,
B.E. 2522 (1979)

Section 35.10 The conveyance driving slowly or slower than another conveyance driving in the same direction, the driver must drive as nearest to the left edge of the road as possible.

The driver of a truck, passenger transport conveyance, or motorcycle driving on the road which is divided into two or more lanes in the same direction, or a bus lane is specifically provided in the left hand side, must drive in the ultimate left lane or the lane next to bus lane, as the case may be.

Text in bold is mine for emphasis. 

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT,
B.E. 2522 (1979)

Section 35.10 The conveyance driving slowly or slower than another conveyance driving in the same direction, the driver must drive as nearest to the left edge of the road as possible.

The driver o

f a truck, passenger transport conveyance, or motorcycle driving on the road which is divided into two or more lanes in the same direction, or a bus lane is specifically provided in the left hand side, must drive in the ultimate left lane or the lane next to bus lane, as the case may be.

You and I know that........but how many others have (including Thai bus drivers).

A pdf of the Road Traffic Act BE2522 (1979) is attached for those who are interested.

It makes for interesting reading.

ThaiDriving2 (2018_03_23 05_25_41 UTC).pdf

• Thanks 1

I can understand the driver saying it might have been a tire that went  out.  The problem is that it could have been any part of the wheel or undercarriage that let go.

That being said I wonder  how many hours he had behind the wheel and awake.  

I am willing to bet that there was no one cause of the accident but that it is probably like making a cake 

a little of speed

a little of sleepy or lost concentration

poor maintenance on  the vehicle.

We will never know until the families sue the government

Scary thing for me is   I like to sit up in the front of the bus to see where i am going and get the extra foot room. 

Might have to rethink that

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

This is where it happened - opposite view to the camera.

bus.JPG.3a88b6c084b83ed4ad773d6f430344e0.JPG

It seems the bus collected the dividing curb, took out the pole in the centre picture and then the 90 k sign just before the overpass.

Opinions on whether he was under that speed in the outside lane may vary.

My guess (and that is all it is) from this picture it looks likely the right front wheel of the bus hit one (or all) of what appear to be 3 small concrete barriers outside the right lane which caused his tyre to blow...leading to the subsequent accident. If so, he clearly drifted outside the lane, for whatever reason.

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Do they ever reveal, after notifying family of course, the names and ages of those who've died, and been injured?

I was surprised the OP news report actually named the operator of the bus involved. Usually, the authorities and/or the media don't even do that!

Don't defame me, bro!!!

One of the main problems here is that you have poor quality drivers that are paid peanuts and are mercilessly driven by greedy bus companies and schedules. Most buses are only given a certain amount of time for each section of a route, and they have to punch in a time card at various designated places/stations along the way (Wang Noi is a good example of such) and drivers are penalized for being off-time... hence why you see bus drivers doing impressions of Spanky Spangler or some such type. Secondly, maintenance is at the discretion of the company, not the driver, and tyres etc. are only replaced at officiallly established milage/times.

I'd say it was a potent mix of poor driver going too fast in an old bus (probably refurbished many times already) with questionable maintenance checks/servicing trying to meet a fascist schedule. It could have been a trye, but the companies or supervisors are also culpable in this sort of stuff too.

Edited by Sir Dude
Typos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Most of them.......

my point is that in most countries yes I now TIT there is a limit to the number  of  hours you can drive.  While I know it is not a big thing guarantee it is one of the reasons the people suing will use.

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT,
B.E. 2522 (1979)

The driver of a truck, passenger transport conveyance, or motorcycle driving on the road which is divided into two or more lanes in the same direction, or a bus lane is specifically provided in the left hand side, must drive in the ultimate left lane or the lane next to bus lane, as the case may be.

Do you feel better now !

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Scary thing for me is   I like to sit up in the front of the bus to see where i am going and get the extra foot room. 

Might have to rethink that

Definitely rethink that. Don’t take a bus, don’t take a minivan.

Where ever possible, drive yourself, day time hours only when taking interprovincial journeys. 

• Like 1

Tyres in good condition and properly inflated do not spontaneously burst.  Maybe if the tyre had a new tread cut into a previously bald carcase. (not unknown in Thailand?)

Many countries have a special, more rigorous, driving test for drivers of public service vehicles.  presumably not in Thailand where you can get you driving licence without changing out of first gear.

Looking at Thai TV they said the bus  GPS said the bus was doing 79 km/Hour on impact ,with the minimum speed limit for buses on motorways  is 80 km/hour ,for once he was not speeding .

Again looking at Thai TV the state the bus was in after the crash I would doubt the GPS reading .

3 hours ago, anchadian said:

Now we know the reason why this tragedy occurred:

Passenger bus driver who crashed in Saraburi on Saturday, killing 7 and injuring dozens, arrested for taking meth while driving

A double-decker bus driver who crashed into a foundation post of a bridge and killed seven passengers in Saraburi was captured today, March 14th, after being found taking drugs while driving.

https://tpnnational.com/2022/03/14/passenger-bus-driver-who-crashed-in-saraburi-on-saturday-killing-7-and-injuring-dozens-arrested-for-taking-meth-while-driving/

That isn't it.  If yaba caused accidents, there would be hundreds every day. 

In fact, I'd say yaba probably prevents accidents when drivers are forced by their companies and economics to exceed safe hour limits.  Not that I advocate its use.  Better to moderate the number of hours behind the wheel.  But we all know that isn't going to happen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

my point is that in most countries yes I now TIT there is a limit to the number  of  hours you can drive.  While I know it is not a big thing guarantee it is one of the reasons the people suing will use.

Do you expect that those who ride these busses and their relatives, will have the means to initiate civil lawsuits? Usually these things are handled with an offer of rather small compensation. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Silencer said:

My guess (and that is all it is) from this picture it looks likely the right front wheel of the bus hit one (or all) of what appear to be 3 small concrete barriers outside the right lane which caused his tyre to blow...leading to the subsequent accident. If so, he clearly drifted outside the lane, for whatever reason.

A little bit further back the divider is a couple of feet high. I'm not sure if the loss of control happened from there.

Capture.JPG.00025301d1d9392997ce1df14341babe.JPG

• Like 1

I just heard on the news that the driver of this bus was high as a kite.... so those in support of the 'blown tyre, he is telling the truth' line... nonsense!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1