Survarnabhumi Airport

5 hours ago, Markus700 said:

Can I update my Bangkok Bank bank book at Suvarnabhumi Airport Arrivals Hall before passport control?

No. What purpose would that serve anyway? Immigration officials at the airport aren't interested in bank books.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Caldera said:

No. What purpose would that serve anyway? Immigration officials at the airport aren't interested in bank books.

Where did Markus7000 mention he was wanting to update the passbook to show immigration officials ?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Where did Markus7000 mention he was wanting to update the passbook to show immigration officials ?

It's called joining the dots.

He wanted to update bb (heaven knows why) airside prior to passport control (immigration officials) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

He wanted to update bb (heaven knows why) airside prior to passport control (immigration officials) 

Some people like to have an up tp date bank book upon entering the country just incase immigration ask about funds.

Edited by mlkik
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mlkik said:

Some people like to have an up tp date bank book upon leaving the country. If there was a bank book update machine at the airport I would use it and would appreciate the info.

The OP was at arrivals lounge. 

Entering thailand.

No reason to update a bankbook.

Can only assume that he imagined it may be required at passport control. 

It would not be.

Perhaps he was entering visa exempt and thought he might require bankbook reflecting current balance. 

Who knows. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP was at arrivals lounge. 

Entering thailand.

No reason to update a bankbook.

Can only assume that he imagined it may be required at passport control. 

It would not be.

Perhaps he was entering visa exempt and thought he might require bankbook reflecting current balance. 

Who knows. 

After posting re read the op and edited my reply. You have quoted my reply seconds before I edited.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SmokeandIce said:

I am even more paranoid about missing funds in Thai banks, I verify my balance every morning and most every night.

I have accounts with Krungthai Bank and Bangkok Bank.....Both offer the option for a very small fee to get online updates to your phone which always alert you to any withdrawals and the new balance!

I am sure that other banks must offer similar services???

• Like 2

I don't bother updating bank book which is archaic anyway. All the balances re available in the app and with a small fees, SMS alert for any withdrawal can be set up. I see people  standing up before ATM machines to update their bankbook as if it is one of their greatest achievements in life like every silly thing in Thailand. 

Edited by Onerak

57 minutes ago, Onerak said:

I don't bother updating bank book which is archaic anyway. 

Thai Immigration laws require updated bank books to extend permission of stay.  Therefore not archaic but essential.

Edited by mlkik
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, mlkik said:
45 minutes ago, Onerak said:

I don't bother updating bank book which is archaic anyway. 

17 minutes ago, mlkik said:

Thai Immigration laws require updated bank books yo exten permission of stay.  Therefore not archaic but essential.

I've done 5 extensions using the monthly income method and I've never been asked to show an updated pass book, which is just a well because just like Onerak, I never keep mine up to date anyway.

In answer to the question by @Markus700 no you cannot. You will only ever find UDMs at bank branches and there are none 0f those airside.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SmokeandIce said:

I am even more paranoid about missing funds in Thai banks, I verify my balance every morning and most every night.

No ned to worry. Just ask your Tee Rak to do it for you. She'll take care of it.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:
14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

There's a lot of that goes on in this forum!

Speaking of joining dots, the second half of the question that the OP didn't ask is whether there are ATM's on the upstream side of Immigration in case you need to pull out some cash to flash if the IO asks you for proof of adequate funds.

Before Covid, the answer was "no".  I'm assuming it's still a no?

In years past there have been stories of arriving tourists declined entry for not having enough cash on them. 

Edited by impulse

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

OP didn't ask is whether there are ATM's on the upstream side of Immigration in case you need to pull out some cash to flash if the IO asks you for proof of adequate funds

Happy to be corrected on this but the airports I have dealt with do not have ATM in arrival lounge air side.

There is one at Saigon airport but has never worked in the years I've traveled there. 

As a general rule I would suggest to never assume access to ATM airside anywhere.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Happy to be corrected on this but the airports I have dealt with do not have ATM in arrival lounge air side.

There is one at Saigon airport but has never worked in the years I've traveled there. 

As a general rule I would suggest to never assume access to ATM airside anywhere.

There were, at one time, a couple of ATM machines airside in the departure area at Suvarnabhumi, but they dispensed US dollars, not Thai baht. I have no idea if they still exist. As far as I know, there are none available for arriving customers before passport control. However, some people have claimed that there are currency exchange booths that will advance cash against credit cards. I have no idea if this is actually true.

10 minutes ago, BritTim said:

There were, at one time, a couple of ATM machines airside in the departure area at Suvarnabhumi, but they dispensed US dollars, not Thai baht. I have no idea if they still exist. As far as I know, there are none available for arriving customers before passport control. However, some people have claimed that there are currency exchange booths that will advance cash against credit cards. I have no idea if this is actually true.

How long ago was that , that ATMs were giving out US$ ?

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

How long ago was that , that ATMs were giving out US$ ?

As I recall, I saw the US$ ATMs in the departure area about five years ago. I have not been through Suvarnabhumi in three years, and would probably not have registered their presence if still there as I would not be looking for them.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

True, but I do not know many places that ask you to show cash in hand to enter their country... Hence why ATMs might not be such a bad idea right before immigration.

43 minutes ago, BritTim said:

As I recall, I saw the US$ ATMs in the departure area about five years ago. I have not been through Suvarnabhumi in three years, and would probably not have registered their presence if still there as I would not be looking for them.

But the key there is that they were on the departure side.

Years ago, when stories hit of tourists being denied entry for lack of 20K in funds, there was a lot of discussion about the wisdom (or folly) of carrying cash in the days of ATMs and online banking.  Personally, I carry some emergency USD whenever I travel internationally.  I've been glad to have it on several occasions when ATMs were down.  I'll bet there's a lot of Russkies around the world today that wish they had carried more cash.

Bottom line is that there were no ATMs upstream of immigration at Swampy, so if they asked for proof of funds, you needed your ducks in a row before you took off on your way in.  Whether it's to withdraw cash (recommended) or to update your balance for proof of funds (may not be adequate- I don't know)

My last trip to Thailand was just before Covid hit, so things may be different today.  But I doubt it.  (Edit:  I'd also add that I was never asked to show any cash.  Rumor had it that it was soap dodgers and Nigerian princes that were being denied entry for lack of funds...  But better safe than deported.)

Edited by impulse