Help Young Expat Hit with Stage 4 Cancer

webfact

I think this story is totally BS.I migth have someone knock him down on his head.He look so healthy compared to other cancerpasients on stage 4 i seen.They migth be scammers.And why no doctors around him and validate his story???

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

feel sorry for the bloke hope he can beat this..one comment on here from an op did make sense  why not use the 60.000 and fly home to get treatment that way you know where you stand im not being anti crowdfunding but going home would be the logical..and now he has the cash to do it..

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

feel sorry for the bloke hope he can beat this..one comment on here from an op did make sense  why not use the 60.000 and fly home to get treatment that way you know where you stand im not being anti crowdfunding but going home would be the logical..and now he has the cash to do it..

There will be a second round of crowdfunding to raise funds to repatriate his body.

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

You're right that he should have purchased adequate insurance in Thailand. But what makes you think he has insurance back home? He's from the USA. Health insurance is not a given there.

Maybe he hasn't but should he plan for a 240 k USD 3 year stay here (with a  "professionally" written treatment and funding plan)
and be a burden to Thailand and the general public?
He could fly back home to his home country and legion of friends and do this
https://www.hca.wa.gov/health-care-services-supports/apple-health-medicaid-coverage/individual-adults

Edited by orchis
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

There will be a second round of crowdfunding to raise funds to repatriate his body.

Assuming that is anymore is ever heard from them after the first 1/4 million has been raised

• Haha 1

My friend Jeff, age 37 had stage 4 brain cancer. He lived 2 miserable years under chemo,radiation etc and passed. There is no way out of this alive if it’s glioma. Sorry pal but that’s it, don’t waste the money. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FalangJaiDee said:

Ok zoomer 

lol ok boomer, back in the day when people were more honest and had a lack of technological resources I probably wouldn't have said the same, these days the insurance company is a few clicks away, if you choose to not pay for health insurance and can afford it and something like this happens, its unfortunate but I am not going to pay for it.

I met a ton of Thai's since I've been in Thailand and many of their family members had cancer and died, they weren't much older than this guy either, wish they had a go fund me, they didn't come from America or have the opportunities to be able to afford good health insurance, nor have a good job. I came from Canada, the last thing I'd do on my death bed with cancer (and I've been close to having it) is ask people for money because I didn't want to spend my own money to take care of myself, and if I did, I'd promise to pay every penny back if I survived. 

Not enough info to go by to make clear judgement on the guy's issues. If he is from a commonwealth country doesn't he have free health care at home?  If so, he should go back home and get treated. If he is from the US then he is better off here as healthcare in Government hospitals is pretty good depending on which is assigned to your social security, and according to this OP he does have this.  --> Which leads me to ask, 'If he has Thai social security, as mentioned, why is he trying to raise funds. The VIP rooms in government hospitals are very affordable.

If this guy is trying to get treated at a 4 star Thai hospital then that clears up why he is trying to raise the funds. But he should go to a Government hospital a pay a bit more from his savings, as I did when I needed surgery, because the doctors who generally work in the Government hospitals are USUALLY  the same who work in the private ones. In a nutshell it seems this guy has a plan and it does not entail going to a cheaper, but well serviced, hospital. 

With the economy right now, I can't afford to pay for a guy like this. He should go with the cheaper yet just as good alternative. 

Edited by Pouatchee
no glasses -->. typo

12 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

He's working so will have social security which give him free/cheap access to government hospitals, they certainly do treat cancer as a friends (Thai) mother is currently under going treatment.

They do NOT cover expensive imported chemotherapy drugs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

The way the article words things  is very misleading.  Should have explained what SS will cover and what the gaps are and why those things are considered necessary.

Keep in mind that the article is pretty much just a copy and paste of the actual GoFundMe blurb, which appears to have been launched by a 3rd party guy that may have never been to Thailand.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, mikebike said:

Not sure I understand "close to having it".

You either have cancer or you don't. It ain't horseshoes.

there are certain stages (mutation of cells) in my case before it became cancer

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 7:38 AM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Thai medical insurance policies don't typically exclude treatment for cancer.

A proper employer-provided group medical insurance program would not necessarily exclude pre-existing conditions.

If he was legally working for a Thai company and paying into the Social Security system, his treatment should be covered by SS at the designated hospital.

There must be more to this.

Given the price, it's most likely involves newer (expensive) drugs that aren't available through SS.