Seven Thai students charged with assault in university hazing death

snoop1130

What about those in charge? It can only happen because those people in charge of that place turned their heads for many years. They should go on trial as well. We have an Uni in the Chiang Mai area that is famous for hazing as well.

Edited by SomchaiCNX
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Put them all in the army with the permanent rank of private and send them all to the deep south for the 30 years.

No, hand them over to the French to join the FL. This to make sure that nobody with connections get any favours.

Edited by SomchaiCNX
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

What about those in charge? It can only happen because those people in charge of that place turned their heads for many years. They should go on trial as well. We have an Uni in the Chiang Mai area that is famous for hazing as well.

Students have to learn to bow their heads to phuyays for the rest of their lives.  I think the parents should be made to pay compensation to the families of the victims of those barbaric hazings.

"Prem was allegedly beaten unconscious..."

I find this to be so shocking. We had hazing when I went to University, but it was never so brutal. I received a lot of licks with a paddle on the buttocks, but I just cannot see how these young people could be so brutal. It just breaks my heart.

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Beaten unconscious by his seniors? A microcosm of Thai society if ever there was one.

Whatever happened to Freshers just going out, getting drunk and having a good time with the second year students like I did in London in the mid 90's? With the second year students showing us the best pubs, clubs etc. in the area and friendships forming.

Why the need for this 'show of power' by 'senior' students. It's absolutely pathetic. Mind blowingly stupid.

Many of the problems can be attributed to the perception of university life. Whilst we would see it as the first stage of adulthood, the Thais seem to consider it to be the last stage of childhood. Treating adults as children will inevitably lead to problems; getting rid of uniforms would be a good starting point. The most important day of your university career should be your first, and not Graduation Day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

How about charged with murder? They did not just injure the poor fellow, they killed him.

I agree with the sentiment but it is all to do with intent.  Did they actually intend to kill him?  I would have thought that manslaughter would be a more accurate charge in this case.  Much more likely to get a conviction unless it can be proved that the thugs went out to murder him.  If not they would have to be found not guilty of murder and could walk free.

On 3/16/2022 at 7:17 PM, snoop1130 said:

Seven university students have, so far, been charged with assault causing the death of another person in a fatal university hazing ritual

Why will hazing continue?  Because when someone is killed, those who kill them are changed with simple 'assault' instead of murder or man-slaughter. A few wais and bows and all is good again.  Until the next hazing victim is killed.  Happens every year.  And it will continue to happen ad-infinitum.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dunroaming said:

I agree with the sentiment but it is all to do with intent. 

I'd think that if you know that your actions could lead to death, then there is intent.  But - lawyers and money-brokers will need to figure this out.

On 3/17/2022 at 4:04 PM, connda said:

I'd think that if you know that your actions could lead to death, then there is intent.  But - lawyers and money-brokers will need to figure this out.

Hazing, as disgusting as it is, is meant as a form of initiation, not an intent to kill.  It goes on throughout universities and colleges in many countries including the USA and Britain.  In my day you went taken to the bar and forced to drink until you threw up.  A tradition that lasted for most of my university days, as I recall.