Ah the infamous Uturns

pixelaoffy

Should be controlled by traffic lights, IMO. Seems to work on Pattaya Nua at the Soi Petrakul junction outside T21 where the baht buses turn to go to the beach. It would probably need an extra inside lane, if that is feasible.

4 hours ago, champers said:

Should be controlled by traffic lights, IMO. Seems to work on Pattaya Nua at the Soi Petrakul junction outside T21 where the baht buses turn to go to the beach. It would probably need an extra inside lane, if that is feasible.

The queue at many would become long....and the extra lane is insufficient for impatient drivers who start to then use the lanes on the main highway.... then we really start to get messy. But it could be an option.......

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The queue at many would become long....and the extra lane is insufficient for impatient drivers who start to then use the lanes on the main highway.... then we really start to get messy. But it could be an option.......

What you say about queue jumping and impatience are true (plus jumping a red) but I am not aware of any major incidents at the T21 U-Turn. Whilst not ideal, I believe that traffic lights would be a big improvement on the current situation in Jomtien.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

crazy system of a U-turn allowed on a dual carriageway

And crazy speed allowed (or not controlled) through populated areas with mixed traffic from sidecar kitchen to Ferrari son.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes U turns on the fast lane on Sukhumvit also, what could go wrong

The worst U turn I saw in LOS was on the dual carriage way going south from Lamphun. On a very windy bit of road there was a U turn WITHOUT a dedicated lane for turning vehicles, so anyone waiting to turn was in the main road and given that it was just around a blind corner the possibility of a collision was rather high. Luckily, I never saw anyone actually attempting to do so.

• Sad 1

Been back in UK for 2 years now, roundabouts work so well.  No U-turns, can actually turn right without going 2kms in the wrong direction to make a U-turn etc.  Thailand needs to bite the bullet, build them and force people to use them until they actually understand how they work.  

I know it's a pipe dream but it would cut accidents by 50% or more.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, gmac said:

Been back in UK for 2 years now, roundabouts work so well.  No U-turns, can actually turn right without going 2kms in the wrong direction to make a U-turn etc.  Thailand needs to bite the bullet, build them and force people to use them until they actually understand how they work.  

I guess the UK is similar to OZ we have roundabouts but there is never a problem (unless a road rage) every body stops on a traffic light if it changes to amber (yellow) nobody crosses a pedestrian crossing if pedestrian about to cross even without lights. I do feel much saver here than I ever felt in Thailand. 123 here comes the Thai appologists

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gmac said:

They had a roundabout on 2nd Road in Jomtien but had to scrap it. The Thais couldn't understand the concept of giving way to anyone actually on the roundabout. Especially if they drove a Fortuner.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/21/2022 at 9:16 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

I guess the UK is similar to OZ we have roundabouts but there is never a problem (unless a road rage) every body stops on a traffic light if it changes to amber (yellow) nobody crosses a pedestrian crossing if pedestrian about to cross even without lights. I do feel much saver here than I ever felt in Thailand. 123 here comes the Thai appologists

I'd swap "safer", expensive and cold for "sanuk", inexpensive and hot any time, if I could.

• Thanks 2

On 3/21/2022 at 1:41 PM, Henryford said:

They had a roundabout on 2nd Road in Jomtien but had to scrap it. The Thais couldn't understand the concept of giving way to anyone actually on the roundabout. Especially if they drove a Fortuner.

Roundabouts only work with high traffic density if traffic lights are added like in the UK. That's something NZ traffic department seems unable to understand.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd swap "safer", expensive and cold for "sanuk", inexpensive and hot any time, if I could.

Just a silly remark on a spelling error. Meat point 47  point is well made. The mentality of Thai driving when you have to 'give way to another vehicle ' is anathema.

Edited by pixelaoffy

On 3/21/2022 at 2:55 AM, gmac said:

Last time I was in Canada I visited the city I lived in for 35 years, there were many roundabouts, two were consecutive. I was driving, my brother in law asked me where I was going, damned if I know I said. I'm sure they work, I'm equally sure I want nothing to do with them lol.

On 3/18/2022 at 12:00 PM, pixelaoffy said:

Surely if there's going to be Uturns on dual carriageways with fast flowing traffic there has to be traffic lights . I know that's a rational measure and it's Thailand and accidents and deaths have no meaning or consequences

Between Chonburi and Bang Saen they have been trying to develop a safer U turn arrangement, been going on for about 7 years now, a bit like watching paint dry.

Almost an impossible task as they were having extreme difficulty combating Thai impatience. The idea was that vehicles could  U turn into a slip road without stopping but they all want to be first and go round three at a time which means no vehicle can exit safely, so they all stop defeating the object. They tried to narrow it down to a single lane but then HGVs couldn't get round. They have almost got a working solution but still gets brought to a halt with some idiots. 

u turn (2).jpg