Thai Public Health Ministry backtracks on its proposal to remove mandatory facial masks, says was a misunderstanding

webfact

Just now, CygnusX1 said:

And there won’t be too many of those in future if Thailand continues with its obsession with masks as they disappear from much of the rest of the world.

Things are opening up, but I believe it is the traveling requirements, not so much the mask wearing, that puts tourists off. Many forget masks were an occasional sight in quite a lot of Asian Cities pre Covid. 

Foreigners seem to make a big deal of it. 

34 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

From ~ 6 weeks ago...

MOPH Confirms No Legal Obligations For People To Wear Face Masks

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s Public Health Minister confirmed that there are no laws forcing people to wear face masks, but he also sought cooperation from all parties, including Thai citizens and overseas tourists, in order to prevent the spread of the Covid-19 outbreak.

Concerning warnings from the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) that people might be fined for not wearing a face mask, Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul stated that the Ministry of Public Health and related agencies have not reported this and the matter is still under consideration.

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG220203155951127

Yet it is a law and regulation posted in the Royal Gazette.  This guy just not understand that laws on the books are real, but then so do many many others that do not obey the laws and live their lives they they want with no consequences except for possible death, and then it was ordained that they die that way....you can not make this stuff up.

1 minute ago, CygnusX1 said:

Well, doesn’t that mean that it IS the mask wearing that will put future foreign tourists off?

Only the awkward and petty ones, perhaps that is beneficial! As I said, most I hear from those wanting to come are put off by the one-pass/ insurance and worry over arrival testing..... not hearing 'I am not going because of mask wearing'..... Go someplace else if that is the issue..... but in reality it is not strict here either!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ehs818 said:

I never count on anything that any government official says here. There are two many changes, cancellations, revisions, and the like just days later. I read reputable sites online and continue to wear a good mask (N95 or N95) when around ANY people. I act in a manner I refer to as socially considerate. Can't be too safe with Covid. It's not going away, it continues to mutate, and I don't want to be responsible for passing it along thru others to some older person who just dies from it. If wearing a mask is so unbearable for you, try having an intubation tube down your throat while hospitalized. Man up and just do the responsible thing! Either way, when I am walking in a mall or at Big C and see improperly masked (nose not covered) people walking towards me, I move as far away from them as I can. And I give them 'the look'. They mostly are other farangs doing this. But I've stopped trying to reason with them thru conversation. You can't cure stupid and they get so defensive and aggressive that I'd rather not engage with willfully ignorant and inconsiderate people.

You read from reputable sites? 55555555555

1 minute ago, FinChin67 said:

I had 3 shots, had mask and got covid. Mask is just plain stupid and does not help anything when it comes spreading the virus, specially Omicron. I am all for freedom of choice. If you want to wear a mask then do so.

It's also hilarious to see the motorcycles to drive without helmet but with a mask on ????

Why is it hilarious to see the mask wearing cyclists obviously the PM 2.5 is more of an issue to them.

I never count on anything that any government official says here. There are two many changes, cancellations, revisions, and the like just days later. I read reputable sites online and continue to wear a good mask (N95 or N95) when around ANY people. I act in a manner I refer to as socially considerate. Can't be too safe with Covid. It's not going away, it continues to mutate, and I don't want to be responsible for passing it along thru others to some older person who just dies from it. If wearing a mask is so unbearable for you, try having an intubation tube down your throat while hospitalized. Man up and just do the responsible thing! Either way, when I am walking in a mall or at Big C and see improperly masked (nose not covered) people walking towards me, I move as far away from them as I can. And I give them 'the look'. They mostly are other farangs doing this. But I've stopped trying to reason with them thru conversation. You can't cure stupid and they get so defensive and aggressive that I'd rather not engage with willfully ignorant and inconsiderate people.

So you will understand that an N95 mask is itself totally useless against Covid!????

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why is it hilarious to see the mask wearing cyclists obviously the PM 2.5 is more of an issue to them.

I think his point is they wear a mask to protect their health against the poor air quality but don't wear a helmet to protect themselves against accidents!????

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes, hitting their heads don't seem to bother them. I can see that from statistics that the opposite is true, traffic accidents kills more people than covid and 80% of those are cyclists. I don't care that much if they don't want to protect their head but it looks really funny. Driving 80km/h with a mask on but no helmet.. I guess I try to apply common sense and that rarely works here in Thailand.

Edited by FinChin67

2 minutes ago, dave moir said:

I think his point is they wear a mask to protect their health against the poor air quality but don't wear a helmet to protect themselves against accidents!????

Have many of them have ever worn a helmet and for others like foreigners who are ticketed have you ever observed a Thai being ticketed 

Edited by ThailandRyan

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Have many of them have ever worn a helmet and for others like foreigners who are ticketed have you ever observed a Thai being ticketed 

Many... Here on Koh Samui they fine all, doesn't matter Thai or Farang and the price is the same. But the cops don't do it for improving safety, they don't for the cash as I'm sure you know. And they always do the check points in the same places, still the locals are stupid enough to get caught!

15 minutes ago, dave moir said:

Well most of the cyclists I see (the ones in tights) wear a helmet. When it comes to motorcyclist on the other hand... Basically all wearing a face mask but very few a helmet. Here on Koh Samui the air quality is fine, it's just stupidity.

• Like 1

Want a cookie?

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

I understand when silly farangs fail to understand dual price menus, but how do so many misunderstandings take place in Thai?

Yes. I get the impression that Thai language may not be the ideal medium for a clear and concise message.

3 hours ago, nikmar said:

I ve turned it into a drinking game. 

A bottle of vodka and the thai news. Everytime you read " misunderstanding" , "brake failure" , or :defamation" you gotta take a shot.

My skin has turned yellow!!

Hey don't forget ' Removed to an inactive post'.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Want to wear a pointless mask? Wear it.....

Dont want to wear a mask? Dont wear one.......

No one really cares anymore.........You don't need to be given the ok from anyone, to wear one or not..

Not sure about that. If in doubt, wear one.

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

A misunderstanding...Maybe first think and than talk is much better instead if talking as a headless chicken and than reply with " it is a misunderstanding".. It only shows the incompetence of the Government and the people who work for it

not a brain cell between them 

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

I get the impression Thailand will be one of the last countries in the world to drop the mask wearing.

A lot of people seem to like them. Whether that's the anonymity I'm not sure? Girls enjoying not having to wear make up or being leered at? The pollution? The Thai mindset of conforming and appearing virtuous while looking down on 'non maskers'? 2 years worth of fear being pumped into the population? Blind acceptance that they save your life?

It's definitely a bit odd in this heat. Not conducive to getting tourists rolling in that's for sure. I saw a Tuk Tuk driver shouting at an elderly farang for not wearing one as he walked down Sukhumvit at 7am on a Sunday morning with nobody anywhere near him. It doesn't create a nice atmosphere that's for sure.

From all the YouTube videos I've seen lately,  it seems the exception among the population that are not wearing masks are mostly the working girls in BKK, Phuket and Pattaya. They relied on their heavily made up faces to draw in their potential buyer. 

• Confused 1