Pattaya: Russians staying in holiday condos and eating economically - restaurants at resort suffering

webfact

What Putin and Russia doing is horrific and no doubt he's got many supporters. But you can't brand all Russians the same. Many of them are against the war and stuck here without money or means of transport back home. A lot of people on this forum are behaving exactly the same way as some French and English simple folk during second world war when German Jewish and  political refugees were insulted or attacked for speaking German. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Limited flights, most Russian aircraft are leased from the West and are now only flying domestic routes within Russia, to avoid being seized. The flights with non-Russian airlines still open are hardly likely to accept Russian rubles in payment.

Maybe learn from escaping Ukrainians by walking to freedom

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Exactly what the vast majority of the Chinese tourists did, when they were #1 in volume. Everyone I spoke to in the industry said they did not spend much money. Only the fruit shake vendors, the buffets, 7/11, Lotus, and duty free seemed to make any money from them. And they want them back?

I am now quite convinced that 7/11 is behind Covid and the Russian war.
They are doing well because of it.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

One can only hope it is done before he drops a low grade yield nuke on Kiev and kills millions.  He is already a war criminal but will he ever be tried...my gut says he will be killed before he can be like Sadam was.

Saddam was tried in a Court and got sentenced to death 

for those commenting on the airlines flying/not flying, earlier today a friend and i were wondering about airlines flying to/from russia.  i'd read somewhere that turkish was still flying.  i didn't check that one but i did check emirates.  i was redirected to their russian site and it was 100,000 rubles for an economy r/t moscow to bkk.  about 30,000thb.  i don't know how they manage payment (visa and mastercard blocked ?) but i assume there is a way to get it done.

Shanghai and Shenzen have recently been locked down due to Covid outbreaks. Until the CCP changes it's zero-Covid strategy, there is simply no chance whatsoever they will allow their citizens to venture abroad. The Chinese tourism hordes, always appalling and something to be avoided at any cost, in my experience, are an artefact of history. They're gone, and good riddance to them. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

You know what counts in Thailand... quantity not quality [regardless of what they spout]

they want the 40 million back destroying everything and buying cheap trinkets.

Quantity over quality only makes sense if you are selling one dollar items at a swap meet. It is no way to run a country. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I believe even with return tickets the airlines are not flying anymore that they came in on

Putin can use his stolen billions and charter a flight for stranded Russians if he gave a damn. 

5 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

I have a proposal for the Ruskys.
Have a meeting with TAT;

They will teach you about travel bubbles.

Would be perfect.
A travel bubble between Ruskylandia and Scheina.
They should stick together forever.

They sure could travel across the water in those bubbles

2M Walk on Water Walking Ball / Roll Ball from homepromart on

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

How, by walking on water ........or wait an Oligarch could take them home on his super yacht......thats the ticket

I am guessing a couple of those yachts are not allowed back into Russia now, and many Oligarchs probably on their way back to Russia given the current sentiment, even if they wanted to they couldn't use a Visa or Mastercard to help anyone to get home!

If true, as long as they van afford 7/11, they cannot do too bad. Why don't they ocvupy the Russiam Embassy and as for assostance ? It's their dear Leader they accepted for decades who put them into this. Isn't it time to kick him out, dear Russians ?

13 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Shanghai and Shenzen have recently been locked down due to Covid outbreaks. Until the CCP changes it's zero-Covid strategy, there is simply no chance whatsoever they will allow their citizens to venture abroad. The Chinese tourism hordes, always appalling and something to be avoided at any cost, in my experience, are an artefact of history. They're gone, and good riddance to them. 

And don't forget "Evergrande".
China wants that their citizens buy in China and not abroad.
Money stays home.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The Russians who used to visit Cosy beach used to buy all their food and drink from 7/11s. They all appeared poor, badly dressed families possibly  staying in condos for free or cheap.

????

I live at Cosy beach, the local restaurants,not 3 mermaids etc,  used to be full of Russians, especially Pen shop, owned by a Russian.. 

I have never seen them buying much at 7-11.only arguing over the price of vodka. 

Unfortunately there are still condos where I live, owned by Russians, but a lot less than 5 years ago.. 

It's not at all pleasant, living amongst them.. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Nasty. I met a few Russians around there and none of them fit your description. I certainly didn't meet anyone staying anywhere for free.

They would buy their food and drink from the vendors, restaurants and convenience shops; just like everyone else.

Without the Russians, the Phra Tamnak area would have been deserted, other than for the resident Norwegians.

I agree,  ,,I have never seen them buying lots of food at 7-11..

I doubt if many/any stay in condos for free. 

They don't look roughly dressed, as that guy claims... Just rude and unfriendly.. And blocking the footpaths.. 

A large number of Russians will not be having any issues at all

They will have moved their Rubbles to Dollar and Gold at the end of last Year and moved it offshore into their Sanctuary of choice well before any War started.

These Ruskys are just  being thrifty to make their Money go further until they are able to get their Mitts on more.

After all, who knows just how long that Maniac will keep his Army in Ukraine, and how long all the Sanctions are going to last

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Exactly what the vast majority of the Chinese tourists did, when they were #1 in volume. Everyone I spoke to in the industry said they did not spend much money. Only the fruit shake vendors, the buffets, 7/11, Lotus, and duty free seemed to make any money from them. And they want them back?

This is a Russian Youtuber before the Russian attack, do you call him eating Thai street food a 'big spender'? I think not.

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Quantity over quality only makes sense if you are selling one dollar items at a swap meet. It is no way to run a country. 

That's the way it was, and many would like it back that way.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Fun fact. 

Among tourists of all nations who come to Thailand, Chinese tourists spend the most with 536,278 million baht, most of which is spent on shopping and leisure, such as spas, cruises, trips, etc.

• Like 2