Will Smith punches Chris Rock at Oscars

Thailand

12 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Smith went from visibly laughing at the joke to instant rage and as he walked back to seat smith was openly smirking. My vote says it was staged. These guys are both actors and looks like they fooled many of you if not most.

100% real.

Smith is currently backed in to a corner and just came out with a  " I am a work in progress" excuse. 

• Like 1

Been working all night on this one. ????

"Violence in all of its forms is poisonous and destructive. My behavior at last night’s Academy Awards was unacceptable and inexcusable. Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about Jada’s medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally.

I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong. I am embarrassed and my actions were not indicative of the man I want to be. There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness.  

I would also like to apologize to the Academy, the producers of the show, all the attendees and everyone watching around the world. I would like to apologize to the Williams Family and my King Richard Family. I deeply regret that my behavior has stained what has been an otherwise gorgeous journey for all of us.

I am a work in progress.

Sincerely,

Will"

• Like 2

Wow, I haven't seen the Asean Now crowd so up in arms about what one black man did since Colin Kaepernick took a knee.

Chris Rock crossed a line.

Will Smith did too.

I'll refrain from casting one of my limited supply of stones on this one.

The start of will smith jokes related to the incident , any more?

“I got some offensive jokes, I hope will smith isn’t here” - every stand up comic at every comedy club for the rest of our lives probably"

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Rock showed what a graceful man he is. Water off a duck's back. He shook it off like it was the little wimp slap it was, and moved right on. Likely Rock could have wasted Smith. But, he didn't, and that is the most remarkable part of this. 

He was stunned and visibly shaken. Will Smith is pretty ripped and handy mind, while Rock is not a tough man. The gag was in poor taste as was the reaction—Smith snapped out of embarrassment—but both are decent blokes at the end of the day. It’ll blow over. 

I wonder what would have happened if one of the waiters serving the celebs had invaded the stage and done that? Would he have been allowed to simply continue on with his night's work? No charges? Nah, he'd have been thrown to the ground, roughed up and thrown in the back of a police car pronto.  

Makes a mockery of all this white privilige nonsense. The true privilige in America comes with wealth and celebrity and last night's events proved that.

Good to see that Smith apologized. He's clearly on the edge mentally due to his dysfunctional family situation and hopefully he gets some help. It's amazing how he's ended up a cuckold like that. Sad stuff.

As for the "I'd have done the same thing, good on him" remarks, you have to look at the context. If someone said that to a stranger in a pub then yes you could understand the reaction. But you're watching a comedy skit at an awards ceremony. The presenters make fun of the attendees every year. It's part of the show, you know what you're getting into. If you're mentally too fragile to take a few jibes in that context, stay at home. It seems Smith's ego is too big to stay home, and too fragile to attend. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Only if the person wanted charges pressed, which Rock has stated he will not do

Hence the words "Could be".  Misdemeanors generally require a citizens arrest for prosecution. Also, it is not "pressing charges". it is request to have the suspect prosecuted for violating sections 240 and 242 of the California Penal Code(Assault and Battery). 

Edited by sqwakvfr

20 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Did he punch him or slap him.....it looked quite violent (if it wasn't all staged).....I imagine a punch would have laid him out cold???

Looking a Smith's face afterwards that anger looked real......but he is an actor I guess..

Subject of discussion on radio talkback today. Someone that played it in slow motion reckons it was faked. I watched the clip but not close enough to really tell. IMO had he been hit with the apparent force he'd have been down.

I have no idea as to why it would be faked except it's Hollywood.

Will doesn't come off well for the language he used afterwards.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Subject of discussion on radio talkback today. Someone that played it in slow motion reckons it was faked. I watched the clip but not close enough to really tell. IMO had he been hit with the apparent force he'd have been down.

Does seem odd, given the apparent violence of the strike, even with an open hand as opposed to a fist, that Rock just stood there and smiled?????

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Smith's groveling "apology" surely indicates that it was certainly not staged.

2 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Smith's groveling "apology" surely indicates that it was certainly not staged.

It could be a prank gone wrong when Smith realised that it hadn't gone down well. However, I wasn't close enough to tell, so not sure.

It's the sort of thing that a couple of mates might think up over a few beers, but didn't think about the consequences.

Does anyone know if they are mates?

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I don't agree. Most seem to be appalled. Been reading about the reactions which I think will get worse over time. What he did was way over the line. Both the wimp slap and calling him out and interrupting the ceremony. Really bad form. Incredibly clumsy, inelegant, low class, thuggish, and juvenile. Rock reacted really well. His stock will rise. 

We shall see not that I care either way.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2022/03/28/will-smith-vanity-fair-oscars-party-2022/

It was an A-list ovation for Will Smith at Vanity Fair’s Oscars after-party

Did you think they would boo him after ‘the slap’? You don’t know Hollywood.

Excellent analogy, sir Gecko. 

Maybe for ratings, maybe an act as no photos of a bruise have surfaced in 2 days.

Think Will has more stress or strife in his life than people know. 

Money cannot buy happiness. 

Obviously the wife cannot take a joke.  Her "medical condition" does not affect her health or longevity and to be compared to Demi Moore, G.I. Jane is a compliment 

5 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

The slap was delivered in a somewhat affected manner reminiscent of 17th century duel challenges when one's honor had been questioned.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

We shall see not that I care either way.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2022/03/28/will-smith-vanity-fair-oscars-party-2022/

It was an A-list ovation for Will Smith at Vanity Fair’s Oscars after-party

Did you think they would boo him after ‘the slap’? You don’t know Hollywood.

Moral bankruptcy and intense insecurity, disguised as chivalry. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

He was stunned and visibly shaken. Will Smith is pretty ripped and handy mind, while Rock is not a tough man. The gag was in poor taste as was the reaction—Smith snapped out of embarrassment—but both are decent blokes at the end of the day. It’ll blow over. 

I always thought of Smith as a very good actor and a decent guy. That stunt forced me to consider that I was giving him way too much credit. A massive over reaction, and a demonstration of a juvenile lack of self control, fake chivalry for a very faulty wife, and major hostility and anger issues. 

I was never a fan of Chris Rock. I now hold him in high esteem, and have written off Smith as an emotionally stunted half man. 

And bulk is but a small factor in a fight. Had Rock wanted to reduce himself to Smith's level, he likely would have destroyed the man in one or two blows. If his fighting skills are anything like his hip hop, very soft and wimpy indeed. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Sad 1