Moving to Philippines

Get yourself several bank credit cards and invest in ISAs before u declare non residency. You won't be able to get them when a non resident but can legally keep them if u have them before u leave.

56 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

Maybe he doe not want to commit fraud.

Wow, so you have to let the government know when you visit another country. Maybe if you get permanent residency in another country but he's only visiting for awhile.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A valid point. When I arranged to receive my UK pension I thought about whether I would use my sister's address there in order to receive the annual increases (and today I saw a headline that there will be a 7-8% increase there - I know no details, only saw the headline). But I decided there was a risk involved that I didn't want to take, especially as it would also have included my sister knowingly being involved by receiving any relevant documents being sent to her address. You really, really do not want to mess with government departments. They do not hesitate to prosecute.

I heard of one guy here who was sending  peoples details to the Pension service who were claiming full pensions whilst living full time here. Apparently you can send details anonymousl.. Not sure what happened.

Edited by Asquith Production
add text

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

If you're on a UK state pension, definitely let DWP know. It will unfreeze your pension, if applicable.

Yes, The Philippines is one of the countries where State Pensions are uplifted anually, so certainly a good idea to advise the DWP.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Yes, The Philippines is one of the countries where State Pensions are uplifted anually, so certainly a good idea to advise the DWP.

Agreed, although my dog is not in that fight. Knowledge takes some effort but often benefits ... best to investigate in which countries the annual cost of living is valid. As a Yank, I empathize with Brits not getting the annual cost adjustment as we receive through US SS.

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You will obtain best advice in forum "visas etc to other countries"

Think there is also sub forum dealing with Philippines..

Thanks DrJack, I'll look for that.

5 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Why do you need to inform HMRC or the DWP of your new address ???

Try to keep an address in the UK, maybe a relative or a close friend - The less they know about you, the better.

Ps: Get yourself an online WISE account before you leave as this is a good way to transfer funds.

Not sure about HMRC but DWP have been sending proof of life requests for the past 3/4 years. If not returned pensions are stopped.

As to a Wise A/C, I have my own means of transferring money as and when the need arises, thanks

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Card said:

Get yourself several bank credit cards and invest in ISAs before u declare non residency. You won't be able to get them when a non resident but can legally keep them if u have them before u leave.

I have not been a UK resident for the past 14 years, but thanks anyway.

8 minutes ago, Antiparovian said:

I live in Thailand and pay Income Tax on my UK earnings, I deserve to get free NHS treatment.

What you think you deserve and what you are likely to get are two different things. My understanding is, you would not be refused, but you could have a very long wait before treatment unless an emergency.

1 hour ago, Card said:

He wants to inform the HMRC of his future non UK residence. Why should he hide it unless he wants to commit illegal acts? Claiming to be a UK resident for financial gain such as enhanced pension, free NHS treatment etc is illegal fraud and if the UK govt finds out it will chase you until the day you die. That's why. People in UK complain about foreigners going to the UK to get NHS treatment then leaving the country without paying for it. Well that's the same as British citizens who are non residents if they make a trip to the UK and claim they are residents for NHS treatment.

I don't think the UK government could chase its own tail. All these scare mongering stories don't hold up. There are various entitlements overseas residents/ex pats have when it comes to services such as NHS. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A valid point. When I arranged to receive my UK pension I thought about whether I would use my sister's address there in order to receive the annual increases (and today I saw a headline that there will be a 7-8% increase there - I know no details, only saw the headline). But I decided there was a risk involved that I didn't want to take, especially as it would also have included my sister knowingly being involved by receiving any relevant documents being sent to her address. You really, really do not want to mess with government departments. They do not hesitate to prosecute.

Any actual instances of this?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Surasak said:

What you think you deserve and what you are likely to get are two different things. My understanding is, you would not be refused, but you could have a very long wait before treatment unless an emergency.

You would not be refused, or charged, for initial emergency treatment, but any ongoing or elective treatment would be charged at 150% of actual cost for expats, whether you're a UK taxpayer or not.

35 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

And you do not think it is easy for them to check on when you left the UK and came back?

The DWP has no access to that data AFAIK. Otherwise 1000s, possibly 100s of 1000s, of expat pensioners would be receiving letters in non-signatory countries if they were appearing to avoid the pension rules, requesting residency details. More scare mongering.

• Like 2