American swindler arrested in Nana - he preyed on foreigners living in Thailand

webfact

7 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

He will now find out that scamming can work both ways meet the professionals ????

American swindles, manages to make it about Thailand on the very first reply TV never disappoints

Edited by firestar
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Instead he made off with 3 million baht of their money claiming at one time that he had been hacked and lost the money to thieves himself.

Hope he enjoyed Nana while the fun lasted.

50 minutes ago, Mywayboy said:

Hitler once stated take it little by little from the people and they will never notice until everything is gone.

That's how this guy worked no offers of huge returns. 

Hitler just knew what most other politicians know!????

8 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

I think the statue of limitations were set to expire next month (8 years).  LOL.  Brah, you spent 3 million in pattaya on Soi 666?   If so, ok.  If you kept a few million, just hide in the jungle for one month!!  So he did this scam at 29?  Not a good life, imo.   Next time offer 80000 percent and get 100 billion in bitcoins 

You been drinking in the sunshine?

9 hours ago, Henryford said:

Actually probably wise to only offer 5%, almost believable.

Hmm. why get the help of an American to receive only 5% return while anybody with access to American market can get average 10% in S&P index. This only proves the quality of people migrating to Thailand. 

13 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Very conservative returns for a scam ,at least compared  to

what Thai scammers offer ,10 - 30 % not unusual .

regards Worgeordie

What has Thai scammers to do with this? Just had to put some negative on Thailand again, right? Here we have an American that comes to Thailand and engage in criminal activities. Not the first one too. Just let the police do their job and send him the heck out Thailand with a note of PNG-no-return.

Edited by Gottfrid

14 hours ago, webfact said:

They claim that he preyed on foreigners living in Thailand in a variety of scams promising 5% :coffee1:on all returns.   ????:violin:

Instead he made off with 3 million baht of their money 

I met it this bloke in a bar, gave him my money to invest, and you'll never belief this, is was a scam :coffee1:

Edited by brianthainess

5% = Large enough to attract conservative investors at a time when the bank is paying 0.5% ........ Small enough to keep a ponzi scheme running, since the fake interest-only payouts to "investors" would be relatively small.

Simply put: Don't need to attract many "new investors" into the scheme......... if your guaranteed pay out of "earnings".......... is only 5% !

Ponzis promising high returns get caught............. because they can't get their hands on enough "new money" to keep their existing "investors/suckers" mollified.

5% would be like counterfeiting $5 bills. It's not necessarily a great payout, but NO ONE checks $5 bills to see if they're counterfeit!

Smaller reward....... but........ also........ almost nonexistent risk!

Cheers!

12 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

maybe a more credible tactic appealing to people w/lots of money? 

I can't see how anyone with any net worth would be interested in 5% from a man on Nana when a simple S&P 500 index fund has annualized returns of ~10% since 1928.

15 hours ago, Henryford said:

Actually probably wise to only offer 5%, almost believable. Those offering 30% are obviously scams. But who would make an investment with some guy you met in a Nana car park?

Who says it was a car park? If it was at Nana Plaza the could've met over a spit roast.

16 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Very conservative returns for a scam ,at least compared  to

what Thai scammers offer ,10 - 30 % not unusual .

regards Worgeordie

Conservative, but still reasonable level of return seems to have played a key role in this scam .... :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, Henryford said:

Actually probably wise to only offer 5%, almost believable. Those offering 30% are obviously scams. But who would make an investment with some guy you met in a Nana car park?

Maybe they didn't realize that he was a guy.

2 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

I can't see how anyone with any net worth would be interested in 5% from a man on Nana when a simple S&P 500 index fund has annualized returns of ~10% since 1928.

Yes, hard to imagine - I mostly do index funds too... though at the moment mostly in cash... oddly, I have been told that Drs. are most susceptible to scams - as they are busy and can be a bit gullible as to investments... and don't keep up w/the latest scams. 

17 hours ago, Henryford said:

There is always a buyer for things, unfortunately. 

How does anyone fall for this scam stuff ?

No one is going to offer anyone a chance to get rich out of the goodness of their hearts.

Apart from myself and my unique global investment portfolio ????????

17 hours ago, LEXUS 400 said:

What about the emloied in Kasikorn Bank - Pattaya ?. He take 30 - 40 million baht from customers . Nothing in the news about that , but that was a Thai wish was stealing from farangs !.

So how did you hear about it then?

The persecution complex of some posters on here is unbelievable.  How do you go through life with such a massive chip on your shoulder??

I always wondered where there were never any news stories about Thais committing crimes, only foreigners, now I know.