Can the Thai hospitality sector survive 2022?

webfact

4 hours ago, greeneking said:

In the UK people are facing 'eat or heat' cash problems.

Not 'eat or heat or a nice holiday in Thailand.'

Thailand thinks foreigners have an endless supply of money, the streets are paved with gold and babies are given premium debit cards from birth, so a holiday is still on the agenda...

just come and bail-out Thailand.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

The Thai industry can survive but it has to change it's plan.  As I keep saying instead of trying to attract outside tourism they need to attract the Domestic's market.

Places like Pattaya need to look at how they can attract the families and the university youth markets.  

Looks like everyday in Pattaya now is a Thai holiday. 

The Pratin sabotage continues, unabated. Courage is needed, and the admission that Thailand is now the Zombie nation, and tourists should be far more afraid of Thailand, than Thais are of tourists. Once test and go is eventually scrapped, they may see 2 million tourists a year for the next few years. Thailand is being forgotten, and left behind. And the dinosaurs are moving it backwards. 

Unfortunately, more lives will be devastated and more unhappiness will be brought to the people from the NWRP folks (never want to relenquish power).

• Like 1

Tourism will survive, but the current owners won't be there.  

All over the world, there's been a massive transfer of wealth as small businesses go belly up and the market share and the assets get snapped up by the big guys.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, greeneking said:

In the UK people are facing 'eat or heat' cash problems.

Not 'eat or heat or a nice holiday in Thailand.'

That's true, but I think the majority of those facing the 'eat or heat' dilemma are not the ones who would normally go to long haul destinations spending loads of cash anyway. From what I can see it's the 'just about managing' people in the UK facing that problem, and with all due respect most of those probably don't venture further than Europe in normal times. 

Edited by CG1 Blue

12 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Many hoops?

Not any more...

The two biggest hoops are still in place, i.e. testing on arrival with the risk of Covid jail, and the Thailand Pass. 

Those hoops alone are enough to put off most holidaymakers. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, carlf said:

I'm surprised that I don't read more about trying to entice more Japanese to come on holiday here. 

I am not sure it is yet possible for Japanese to re-enter Japan after visiting Thailand...at least not easily as Thailand is still on their list

Restricted areas on entry by law

East Asia

South East Asia

Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, Maldives, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Cambodia*1, Thailand*1, Timor-Leste*1

*1.Added since May 21, 2021

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/topics/coronavirus-travel-information/immigration/

58 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

That's true, but I think the majority of those facing the 'eat or heat' dilemma are not the ones who would normally go to long haul destinations spending loads of cash anyway. From what I can see it's the 'just about managing' people in the UK facing that problem, and with all due respect most of those probably don't venture further than Europe in normal times. 

Exactly!

Luckily for me my long winter holidays in Thailand mean I can leave the heating on tickover ????

Same for my father, but he goes to Africa ????

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

The two biggest hoops are still in place, i.e. testing on arrival with the risk of Covid jail, and the Thailand Pass. 

Those hoops alone are enough to put off most holidaymakers. 

No, the biggest hoop was the 2 weeks quarantine.

TP takes 10-15 minutes to complete and a quick home test ( or multiple ) before travelling should ensure non positive test on arrival.

• Confused 1

On 4/4/2022 at 1:48 AM, RandiRona said:

Well....I heard this like 100 times that Agoda searches are favoring Thailand, havent seen those searches turned it into booking. Keep dreaming!!! 

Searches to find out what the entry conditions are on a daily basis??

Edited by overherebc

On 4/4/2022 at 5:14 AM, Jerno said:

Does Agoda explain the many hoops Tourists have to jump through to get into Thailand?  Most searched,   least followed through once the hoops are discovered.

Agoda offers Test and Go packages. The other major online agents don't so I'd say they are possibly more accurate than the others. I also believe this is the major reason for Agoda's searches for Thailand being out of line with any other booking site.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 1:06 AM, mania said:

I am not sure it is yet possible for Japanese to re-enter Japan after visiting Thailand...at least not easily as Thailand is still on their list

:

It is possible.  My Japanese wife took advantage of the change in Japan's restrictions a few weeks and flew from Bangkok to Tokyo one week ago.  No quarantine was necessary for her when entering in Japan.  And with Thailand's change since April 1st, she didn't need to to any PCR in Japan either in order to be able to board the flight for her to come back to Bangkok.