Aches and pains ,as your older

bert bloggs

Lucky you're in a hot climate, as in colder climates it would have huts a lot more.. consider using CBD oil, you can buy them locally and the're perfectly legal, good chance it will helps...

• Like 2

I have managed to reach 75 and I think the cold of back home ( England ) the cold would affect me.

The only thing I have noticed lately is when getting out of this chair here where I spend a few hours every day is I push down on my knees when I get up . Going to right now , time to make brekky.

Oh I ; of course also push down on my knees when getting off the potty.

• Like 1

I know what you mean. I have all kinds of odds and sods that come and go. I have accepted that it's a sign to me of the end of the cycle, hopefully I can stretch it out another 15 years with habit of care. I just get used to it, the body has passed its point of no return, personalties that I grew up with are dead or dying, my friends have started to get major illnesses and to pass, my kids and other family members are adults and that makes me a relic. I may be 30 in my head and look OK in the mirror but when someone takes a photo of me, I think it must have been a bad angle.

Welcome to old age, enjoy the journey before the pearly gates. As death is inevitable so are moments of joy.

• Like 2

mate, we built another house on the other side of town on our land that is one level and small, makes a big difference to the 2 story house, no stairs is a life saver, the daughter has the big house

Aches and pains are more common as you age but as others have said, also very much linked to physical activity and weight.

As you get older your body stiffens up much more easily, even short periods of immobility can cause problems and regular exercise and stretches become essential.

The exercise does not have to be elaborate or taxing -- anything that gets you moving more, is good, and the best exercise regimen is the one you can stick to.

My personal regimen is just : (1) daily walking using  a step tracking app (I make 5,000 steps the minimum; you'll read that it should be 10,000 but I just can't swing that on a daily basis whereas I can do 5- 6,000 with just a bit of added effort) plus  (2) 10-15 minutes of stretches, and (3) making sure to go up and down the stairs many times a day (the inclination is to avoid stair climbing when it feels difficult but often what you need is the opposite -- do it more to stretch out the muscles). 

Exercise buffs would scoff at this, but it works for me and I can stick to it.

For stair climbing, this video shows simple exercises suitable for older people https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or_pkDFNTYM

OP you should get the foot pain checked out, however.  Where exactly on the foot does it hurt? If the heel could be plantar fascitis.

• Like 2

I see it mentioned above, exercise/weight/diet. Exercise every day, reduce the weight and have a good diet. I swim every day, it keeps me fit and healthy at 55. Also reduce carbs in the diet, loads of fruit/veg and drink plenty of water. 

56 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Aches and pains are more common as you age but as others have said, also very much linked to physical activity and weight.

As you get older your body stiffens up much more easily, even short periods of immobility can cause problems and regular exercise and stretches become essential.

The exercise does not have to be elaborate or taxing -- anything that gets you moving more, is good, and the best exercise regimen is the one you can stick to.

My personal regimen is just : (1) daily walking using  a step tracking app (i make 5,000 steps the minimum; you'll read that it should be 10,000 but I just can't swing that on a dialy basis whereas I can do 5- 6,000 with just a bit of added effort) plus  (2) 10-15 minutes of stretches, and (3) making sure to go up and down the stairs many times a day (the inclination is to avoid stair climbing when it feels difficult but often what you need is the opposite -- do it more to stretch out the muscles). 

Exercise buffs would scoff at this, but it works for me and I can stick to it.

For stair climbing, this video shows simple exercises suitable for older people https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or_pkDFNTYM

OP you should get the foot pain checked out, however.  Where exactly on the foot does it hurt? If the heel could be plantar fascitis.

My heels are ok,just one foot mainly at the end of the toes underneath and the top of one foot ,mind you in the past i have had gout so perhaps its damadge,

2 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

I have managed to reach 75 and I think the cold of back home ( England ) the cold would affect me.

The only thing I have noticed lately is when getting out of this chair here where I spend a few hours every day is I push down on my knees when I get up . Going to right now , time to make brekky.

Oh I ; of course also push down on my knees when getting off the potty.

ok,  i will admit it .    i usually have to push down on my girlfriends knees when dismounting.   we all gotta make adjustments as our positions change in life

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Whale said:

I may be 30 in my head and look OK in the mirror but when someone takes a photo of me, I think it must have been a bad angle.

I've noticed that the frequency of bad angles and bad lighting have really increased since I passed 60. Yet my wife looks 20 years younger in her Instagram photos.

Fortunately I've maintained my kindly personality (wish I could say the same for the wife).

PauL Laew

The more pain, the more you have to move, stretching and also try to exercise away your pain as much you can. 

Google exercise away pain getting older

Currently, exercise is also a major component of most pain management programs, either alone or in association with pharmacologic and other nonpharmacologic interventions. Exercise can lead to decreased pain, functional improvement, and elevation of mood

Exercise not only reduces pain perception, but also has effects on mental health, such as mood elevation and reduction of stress and depression, which are often associated with chronic pain conditions (Bement & Sluka, 2016).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm about the same level of aches and pains now (age 66) as was when I was 40.

Essentially, a little joint pain in my knuckles from riding a m/c when I was young in the cold UK.

same here at 69 but aches and pains same as back when 40's  555

14 minutes ago, Hummin said:

The more pain, the more you have to move, stretching and also try to exercise away your pain as much you can. 

Google exercise away pain getting older

Currently, exercise is also a major component of most pain management programs, either alone or in association with pharmacologic and other nonpharmacologic interventions. Exercise can lead to decreased pain, functional improvement, and elevation of mood

Exercise not only reduces pain perception, but also has effects on mental health, such as mood elevation and reduction of stress and depression, which are often associated with chronic pain conditions (Bement & Sluka, 2016).

I hate to say this, since I detest exercise, but he is right.

(Except for the mood part...doesn't do that for me! But it definitely helps with flexibility and aches/pains)

Occasionally I'll get a pain and realize it is in the same spot that I had something happen many years ago, like a sprained ankle or a hernia operation.  My mind may have forgotten but the body remembers.  The pain went away 40 years ago, now it sometimes drops in for a visit.

I thought my feet were getting bigger as my shoes are tighter. Dr told me the feet flatten out in later years, try wearing insole supports.  I truly don't want to wear old man shoes.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rumak said:

ok,  i will admit it .    i usually have to push down on my girlfriends knees when dismounting.   we all gotta make adjustments as our positions change in life

You, sir, are no gentleman. A true gentleman would allow his GF to do the dismounting.

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I hate to say this, since I detest exercise, but he is right.

(Except for the mood part...doesn't do that for me! But it definitely helps with flexibility and aches/pains)

Can help if you start manipulating yourself by thinking positive about exercise every morning you wake up as first thing, and before you sleep plan your next day exercises and try to make it a good positive experience. By time it does something to your way of thinking. 

I do that morning and evening when have feel some negativity, or at any time I feel negative thoughts about someone or something. 

It do help after awhile, and when you first manage to overcome the first, it becomes easier and you start doing it without even thinking about it.  At least it have improved my life, and it doesnt take much effort or time. 

• Like 1

Since almost perfecting the art of banana muffins and chocolate fudge brownies I'll continue to go with eating what is put in front of me, and plenty of exercise, in fact some days I am sure I wake up with aching muscles from over exercise, but never aching stomach ????

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Lucky you're in a hot climate, as in colder climates it would have huts a lot more.. consider using CBD oil, you can buy them locally and the're perfectly legal, good chance it will helps...

I'm trying to source CBD oil at the moment but it seems that even though it's available you need a letter from your Dr to enable you to buy it, my knees are extremely painful, I'm in Pattaya - the Darkside, was gonna go see the Dr this morning but something more urgent came up, so unless you know differently................?

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm about the same level of aches and pains now (age 66) as was when I was 40.

Essentially, a little joint pain in my knuckles from riding a m/c when I was young in the cold UK.

That explains the discomfort occasionally in my left hand.  Them 40 yrs of scooter riding.  Fair trade.????

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Bo**ocks to the oil, get the real thing.   LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1