Visa exempt 30 days uk national rejected

I agree with some of the other posters, it makes no sense to restrict the retirement visa for people 50+. If you can meet the same requirements, what's the difference? A lot of these older expats walking around tourist areas actually look pretty skint. Sitting outside 7-11 all day or on the beach drinking cheap beer in tattered clothes and some picking up scraps people leave behind at food courts or food offerings.

That said, as someone who rode out the past few years here on an ED visa (my conversational Thai is decent, I try my best and get complimented on it sometimes) and then covid extensions, I suspected that I would not be welcomed back with open arms if I went back to my country for a few weeks and then returned. I will be getting my Elite Visa affixed at the end of this month and it will be a big relief to no longer plan my life here 2-3 months at a time.

• Like 2

I've been here, quite legally, for 7 years and can say hello and thank you in Thai and no more. I simply cannot be bothered at my age to learn a language that doesn't even use familiar written characters. But then my wife who is pretty smart now speaks English very well and does all necessary translation for me, the I.O's in Chang Wattana never speak to me anyway, all questions are always directed to her and she translates. Simple for both of us. 

I taught my wife to speak and read and write English, plus at her request sent her to school in England and she has papers attesting to her skill level. As for me I am a retired Project Manager and CEO of my own Project Management company and my skill set lies in Construction problem solving for which I was retained and employed and paid handsomely for many years, whereas my wife who is useless at such things, cannot add two plus three reliably, is highly competent in many other things and especially in problem solving. 

We are very happy the way we are, I nod and smile to people, most in our village know me by sight, always friendly waves and smiles so I must be doing something right. Even the refuse cart men slow down passing our house and shout "Hello" (in English) before driving on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zappalot said:

10 years Thailand - never met Thais able to talk about the for me scientific or cultural or political interesting topics i am interested in. Why should I learn this language?  Why I live here? With the same amount of money I have I live a higher standard.

Living here on and off for 10 years, the majority of the Thai I picked up was just naturally. Unless you isolate yourself and never go out or only socialize with other foreigners, after that long a time, it's usually natural to just start picking up the language. It also helps if you have a girlfriend/wife whose English is as good as your Thai and you teach/learn from each other just due to the necessity of communication. 

On 4/12/2022 at 8:21 AM, Caldera said:

I'm interested in the mechanics of that. How did using that agent come up, did you ask to call her or did an IO hint at it?

At face value, involving an additional 3rd party instead of leading you to a dark corner for a cash payment seems to increase the risk of attracting attention to their shenanigans. 

The mere involvement of a third party "fixer" in his prior visit to the kingdom becomes the "gateway" to abuse by less "straight-shooting" IOs.  Had there been no dodgy ED visa arranged by a fixer, they would have to either let him in or deny entry for a legitimate reason.  Therefore, never involve an agent who is doing "more than just paperwork" to sort you out. You just open yourself up to abuse later on.

On 4/12/2022 at 11:33 AM, BKKTRAVELER said:

I think the main issue is that there is non long stay visa for people under 50 who want to stay long term here with their own means. 

Yes, there is Elite. But paying a minimum of 600K Baht to stay doesn't suit most (rightfully so). 

That's why many people have to resort to dodgy Volunteer, ED, Medical visas etc. 

I don't see any reason for not extending the same retirement requirements for people under 50. They show they have enough money, either lump sum or income methods and they can stay. They contribute to the local economy and everyone is happy.

Agree!  Philippines has a retirement visa that you only need to be 35 years of age to qualify for. Thailand could do the same.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Living here on and off for 10 years, the majority of the Thai I picked up was just naturally. Unless you isolate yourself and never go out or only socialize with other foreigners, after that long a time, it's usually natural to just start picking up the language. It also helps if you have a girlfriend/wife whose English is as good as your Thai and you teach/learn from each other just due to the necessity of communication. 

I even worked here a few years (with WP) but everyone I had to deal with spoke english, my wife speaks english perfectly fine, no need to speak Thai for me, at all...

• Like 1

Back to the subject, would it be better for OP if he came in with new passport... could I/O see his old ED visa in the computer? Not sure what the system exactly shows, apart from each entry & exit... Or if I/O could see it, would he make a fuss about it the same as when he saw it in the passport... any thoughts?

32 minutes ago, zappalot said:

I even worked here a few years (with WP) but everyone I had to deal with spoke english, my wife speaks english perfectly fine, no need to speak Thai for me, at all...

Yeah if there's no need for you to speak it, who am I to fault you for it? You're certainly not alone. I certainly don't notice much of a benefit in my everyday life in being able to speak and understand a moderate amount of it. Maybe I'll save 10 baht on a moto taxi fare sometimes or not get overcharged at a street cart which is obviously nothing. It definitely shuts up the foot massage ladies when they know you as someone who can understand Thai and others will be on guard around what they say around you or switch to another dialect.

1 hour ago, Ohyesuare said:

I agree with some of the other posters, it makes no sense to restrict the retirement visa for people 50+. If you can meet the same requirements, what's the difference? A lot of these older expats walking around tourist areas actually look pretty skint. Sitting outside 7-11 all day or on the beach drinking cheap beer in tattered clothes and some picking up scraps people leave behind at food courts or food offerings.

That said, as someone who rode out the past few years here on an ED visa (my conversational Thai is decent, I try my best and get complimented on it sometimes) and then covid extensions, I suspected that I would not be welcomed back with open arms if I went back to my country for a few weeks and then returned. I will be getting my Elite Visa affixed at the end of this month and it will be a big relief to no longer plan my life here 2-3 months at a time.

You will certainly feel better once you have the Elite visa in your passport. To be honest, when I applied for it back in 2014, there was no 20 years 1 million baht option. Otherwise, I would have gone that path.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

What is "goodbye" in Thai?  Isn't it the same as "hello"?  Strange, rather pointless, language if you ask me. ????

Just like English then, where "Good day" can be used in the same way. ????

Edited by Caldera

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

What is "goodbye" in Thai?  Isn't it the same as "hello"?  Strange, rather pointless, language if you ask me. ????

There are many different words/phrases that can be used when taking leave of someone. The most appropriate depends on the situation. Sawatdee khrap is the most common in a formal/business setting.

My son & his Girlfriend are hoping to travel SE Asia in October from UK and we’re confused as to what visa is available. My husband and I travelled 20 yrs ago and used a triple entry visa which gave us 60 days on each arrival in Thailand, this doesn’t seem to be a thing anymore and the only option seems to be for just 60 days and no longer? I have also read that you only get 15 days on arrival now instead of 30 and the crossing across a border and back again for another 30 days is nolonger a thing? Any advice greatly received.

7 minutes ago, Trudy said:

My son & his Girlfriend are hoping to travel SE Asia in October from UK and we’re confused as to what visa is available. My husband and I travelled 20 yrs ago and used a triple entry visa which gave us 60 days on each arrival in Thailand, this doesn’t seem to be a thing anymore and the only option seems to be for just 60 days and no longer? I have also read that you only get 15 days on arrival now instead of 30 and the crossing across a border and back again for another 30 days is nolonger a thing? Any advice greatly received.

The 3 entry tourist visa has been replaced by the multiple entry tourist visa that That allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from the day it issued.

The 15 day visa exempt entry at land borders was eliminated a few years ago. A 30 day entry is now allowed twice per calendar year.

1 hour ago, Trudy said:

Assuming you're British (you say you're travelling from the UK) then you will get 30 days Visa Exempt on arrival, or you can apply for a 60 day Tourist Visa before you leave... After that (Covid extensions aside) you'll have the option of extending for a further 30 days... (So enter Exempt 30+30 or enter on Tourist Visa 60+30) 

As you've said the 90 day METV is no more so it would really help if you could share how long you want to spend in Thailand & whether you plan (or would be open to) having a mini-holiday to 1 of the neighbouring countries as a border run could get you a new Visa Exempt (30 Days) or a new Tourist Visa (60 days) either of which can be extended for a further 30 days... 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 1

Sorry yes he’s from the Uk. Ideally he’d like to do 3 months in Thailand but not in one go as he is hoping to visit Loas and Vietnam. So applying for a 60 day visa before leaving the Uk and then leaving and visiting another country and returning ‘should’ then give him another 30 days? He will most likely fly out of Thailand either home or onto Indo so it’s important that he doesn’t get turned away when trying to re-enter. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trudy said:

Sorry yes he’s from the Uk. Ideally he’d like to do 3 months in Thailand but not in one go as he is hoping to visit Loas and Vietnam. So applying for a 60 day visa before leaving the Uk and then leaving and visiting another country and returning ‘should’ then give him another 30 days? He will most likely fly out of Thailand either home or onto Indo so it’s important that he doesn’t get turned away when trying to re-enter. 

There are two considerations that will dictate his actions if he is to avoid trouble:

1. He is only allowed to enter Thailand twice by land without a visa in a calendar year. This is a long standing restriction that has nothing to do with Covid times. There are no such restrictions (for normal tourists) when entering by air.
  2. At the current time, entering Thailand requires a Thailand Pass. There is a good chance this will be eliminated in the next few months. Further, many land borders are not yet open, and some border crossings that are open have their own requirements set by the country on the other side of the border. Although frustrating for those who like to plan everything carefully well in advance, the simple truth is that this is not possible right now.

I suggest you make tentative plans based on the assumption that the temporary restrictions around Covid will be removed by the time of the visit, but appreciate that these plans might need to be changed at short notice. You could book flights from the UK to Thailand well in advance if you can get especially attractive fare offers, but should probably defer hotel bookings and travel within the region until much closer to the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sallecc said:

Back to the subject, would it be better for OP if he came in with new passport... could I/O see his old ED visa in the computer? Not sure what the system exactly shows, apart from each entry & exit... Or if I/O could see it, would he make a fuss about it the same as when he saw it in the passport... any thoughts?

Who knows.. What I can say is that I had a previous volunteer visa and came back recently on a new passport without issues. Whether or not the new passport made any difference, I will never know.

Also, i don't understand why people get harassed because of ED-visas? How would they know if you have been to school or not? Yeah, they can test your Thai skills.. But there's a multitude of languages that can be studied to obtain one. Even self-defense. Would you have different stamps for each category?

• Like 2

On 4/12/2022 at 11:03 AM, BangkokReady said:

Are you saying you lived in Thailand for 10 years but know not a word of Thai?

Some who think they can speak Thai also exists ....????.....The forever Thai smile is the answer in such a conversation ????

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's supposed to be ลาก่อน (laagorn) ... But in 25 years coming to Thailand, I have not even once hear a Thai mumble it. ????

Also, you can learn Standard Thai at school or otherwise, but all you hear around you each day are very different slangs, accents, or vocabulary that you won't find in any textbook. Pronunciation differs significantly, too. - Fortunately, people I care to talk to (more educated Thais, people I want to have business with) generally speak English at varying degrees. The only time I, kind of, regret that I don't speak Thai is when I enter a barber shop...

So, yes, IMHO a pointless language, and I'd rather learn Latin or Kisuaheli.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Just give a blank stare like the Thais do.

That doesn't solve the understanding of the Farang-Thai... for them Thai to understand what the hell that farang is trying to say ....????????

• Confused 1

On 4/12/2022 at 9:59 AM, OJAS said:

So would the OP be happy for a visa-less Thai national claiming to be visiting his own country to be cheerfully waved through immigration controls by UK Border Force at Gatwick Airport with no questions asked? Somehow I doubt it!

It’s not the same thing …. and you know it????visas cannot be bought for western countries which naturally & obviously have higher entry standards than here for foreigners. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BritTim said:

There are two considerations that will dictate his actions if he is to avoid trouble:

1. He is only allowed to enter Thailand twice by land without a visa in a calendar year. This is a long standing restriction that has nothing to do with Covid times. There are no such restrictions (for normal tourists) when entering by air.
  2. At the current time, entering Thailand requires a Thailand Pass. There is a good chance this will be eliminated in the next few months. Further, many land borders are not yet open, and some border crossings that are open have their own requirements set by the country on the other side of the border. Although frustrating for those who like to plan everything carefully well in advance, the simple truth is that this is not possible right now.

I suggest you make tentative plans based on the assumption that the temporary restrictions around Covid will be removed by the time of the visit, but appreciate that these plans might need to be changed at short notice. You could book flights from the UK to Thailand well in advance if you can get especially attractive fare offers, but should probably defer hotel bookings and travel within the region until much closer to the time.

The plan is to book their flight to Thailand when they get an attractive price and their first night somewhere as this is a requirement for the visa then book a cheap travel date out of the country (also a visa requirement) but the rest will be done whilst in the country/countries, they’ll know by then what’s what with restrictions etc. I’d imagine that they will only enter Thailand once via land once they have been to Vietnam/Laos. They aren’t traveling until October so hopefully restrictions will have been lifted a lot by then (I mean I’m going by UK standards here I know, which now has nothing). How easy/long does it take to get the Thailand pass if it is indeed still a requirement by then? 
Me and his Dad travelled in 2002 and arrived only knowing our first two nights accommodation and a flight date to Bali 4 months later but it’s a bit different when it’s your son doing it ????????
Thank you so much for your help 

On 4/12/2022 at 5:29 AM, JFHuaHin said:

Very subtle done

Payment was made to a agent I have used for years and she will pass it on to them.

It was not easy , you can see that they much more careful about being seen to accept admin fees.

I offered to pay in cash there and then but it was not accepted.

Guess it's time for a marriage of convienents

So you were staying on illegal visas, they caught you and moved to throw you out. Who did not see that coming?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

So you were staying on illegal visas, they caught you and moved to throw you out. Who did not see that coming?

All visas / extns. here properly stamped in passport & on Imm. Computer are legal. Immaterial how they got there. as the stamp issue is never challenged.

now the conduct or performance of that stamp by the stamp holder can be questioned.like an ED visa holder being out of country for three months. 

also all those old expired visas should really be irrelevant. They’re done, ancient history. Can’t see that a former work visa ,or any expired Longstay visa holder,  cannot subsequently be considered a tourist.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 11:39 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Tourist visas and Visa exempts are meant for tourists .

People who have been in Thailand for many years are not tourists and that's why they were questioned  .

People just need to get the correct visa for the purpose of their visit 

Surely it doesn't matter what your previous visa history is when entering Thailand, as personal circumstances can often change. For instance, I came in on a 1-year visa once, but then the next time I visited I just went for a normal 30-day exempt which I was perfectly entitled to do. The only thing the immigration officer said to me upon arrival was: "Only staying for 30-days this time, not a whole year?" My reply was "not this time" or words to that effect. He simply smiled, quickly stamped my passport and I was waived through.