Songkran’s ‘Seven Dangerous Days’ begin with a spike in road deaths

webfact

screenshot_17431.jpg

By Erich Parpart

The first day of Songkran’s notorious “Seven Dangerous Days” saw 237 road accidents and 328 drunk drivers arrested, the authorities said on Tuesday.

Traffic collisions are expected to spike from April 11-17 as people travel back to their hometowns for the Songkran holiday.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Songkran has gained notoriety for road accidents as so many people are under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs and many choose to speed. 

On Monday, 26 people were killed, 238 were injured from 237 road accidents, the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) announced.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/39382/songkrans-seven-dangerous-days-begins-with-spike-in-road-deaths/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-04-12

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

On Monday, 26 people were killed, 238 were injured from 237 road accidents

About a third of pre Covid numbers.

Spike from 21 to 26.

But somehow we need a headline.

How else could all the excitement, checkpoints, road side camps be justified.

Wait for a similar "spike" in Covid numbers and entertainment closure until Neverday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The first day of Songkran’s notorious “Seven Dangerous Days” saw 237 road accidents and 328 drunk drivers arrested, the authorities said on Tuesday.

DUI mandatory 6 months in jail.
injure someone one year mandatory

kill someone manslaughter.

That should stop 90% of them.

29 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

You are right with the penalties but sadly I dont think it would make a scrap of difference changing them.  Its all about having the right excuses and the correct amulets.

• Like 2

so the theory is you set up a road block and catch someone for drink drive. This means they are ALREADY drunk and have ALREADY driven. 

Is the rad block a deterrent? I don't think so, as people know they have a very good chance of avoiding them. They are warned on the phone, can guess in advance where the police will set up the road blocks or simply doing a u-turn.

Time and again the Thai authorities display a profound ignorance of what road safety involves and instead resort to methods that have been internationally discredited since the 1950s.

18 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

so the theory is you set up a road block and catch someone for drink drive. This means they are ALREADY drunk and have ALREADY driven. 

Is the rad block a deterrent? I don't think so, as people know they have a very good chance of avoiding them. They are warned on the phone, can guess in advance where the police will set up the road blocks or simply doing a u-turn.

Time and again the Thai authorities display a profound ignorance of what road safety involves and instead resort to methods that have been internationally discredited since the 1950s.

I think you are kind of correct......the thing to note is the time lag between setting up road blocking and the numpties realising they really do exist, that they might now be caught and they might receive a severe punishment for DUI.......what on earth am I talking about.

36 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

You are right with the penalties but sadly I dont think it would make a scrap of difference changing them.  Its all about having the right excuses and the correct amulets.

As Rocketdog said in response to my post, Thailand would become a land of prisons.
Better to keep the term I said for the first two but switch them to an army camp.

However kill someone while DUI your off to the pokey.

Does anybody think that all the screaming about road deaths has any impact on Thai motorists?

The only way is strict law enforcement.

However seeing who is resonsible for that------ don't hold your breath waiting for change.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, overt2016 said:

Does anybody think that all the screaming about road deaths has any impact on Thai motorists?

Not a snowball's chance of any impact.

As an aside, I now refuse to set off unless the all Thai family wear safety belts......I refuse to carry kids in the front.......I refuse to carry kids too young to use a safety belt........they think I am mental.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Bit of a dreamy scheme, as there's no cycling profit in the offing. 

2 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

And who you know

6 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I think you are kind of correct......the thing to note is the time lag between setting up road blocking and the numpties realising they really do exist, that they might now be caught and they might receive a severe punishment for DUI.......what on earth am I talking about.

There is seldom time lag as the police are so predictable in where they put up road blocks. My colleagues all used to adbvise me BEFORE songkhran where the road blocks would be - it was common knowledge. Basically to get caught, you need to be pretty drunk to fall foul of a road block.

Drunk driving has been successfully tackled in countries in the EU and elsewhere and it is known how to deal with it. Simply introducu=ing strict penalties is far too simplistic and approach. 

Sweden ended up with 50% of it's prison population being DUI offenders - but they don't allow ANY alcohol.

USA despite having archaic and draconian alcohol laws still has over 30% of crashes involving alcohol. The UK is now below 20%.  Do they use road blocks? Very seldom! TH UK police have to have a REASON to stop you.

The police can only stop you at  and ask you to take a breath test (‘breathalyse’ you) if they think you’ve been drinking, you’ve committed a traffic offence, you’ve been involved in a road traffic accident. So thy have one of the loq=west DUI records in the world yet don't use road blocks.

The problem in Thailand with the police is they are untrained, incompetent and corrupt. There is no legal system to back up prosecuting and enforcing penalties.  

roadblocks only get people who go through them and are already driving drunk do nothing to deter drunk drivers. What is needed is a trained police force and a national anti-DUI campaign. People need to think about drinking BEFORE they go out in a vehicle.

Edited by Thunglom
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

do you honestly think I would know the answer to that ?

do you honestly think I'm asking you? It's a rhetorical question inviting people to think bout the REAL influences on road safety in Thailand

Edited by Thunglom

6 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Every thing I've read shows number of Songkran road deaths are slightly lower than the rest of the year (except, of course 2019-2021).

figures for th Covid years are really unreliable - they have yet to be analysed and the collation examined.