Is living in Thailand better health-wise than elsewhere?

webfact

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Thailand is not a great place to live "health-wise" due to horrible air quality, dangerous roads and unhealthy food. 

There are solutions! … exercise indoors with air filters running on days with high air pollution; only venture onto roads in a big pickup truck; eat only healthy food (ridiculously cheap tropical fruit in abundance here)

These solutions combined with Thailand’s warm climate to enable year-round swimming ensures a very health-wise existence! In fact never been fitter or healthier. Oh, and the 100 baht foot massages help with any aches and pains. 

Edited by Nemises
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

If we were say back in Europe during the winter, we would be mainly staying indoors avoiding the high winds, icy conditions, heavy rain, and even snow!

Is the point of comparison on AN always Yoorup?  And even when talking about Yoorup, the default point of view is cold, wet, cloudy, and dreary. Sounds a lot like England but not Greece, Spain, Italy, and Portugal. If this Michael Bridge fellow is Rooster's replacement, things don't appear to have improved.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

This is my Climate change attitude, as in Canada, not only are some companies doing carbon

capture, the Canadian government is taxing the population with a carbon tax that went up in April.

I don't know who first came up with the concept of Carbon Capture and Storage ( CCS ), IMO it certainly wasn't a competent scientist or engineer. CCS is a hoax promoted by the fossil fuel industry, a perfect example of the Second Law of Thermodynamics at work. They may as well be trying to build a perpetual motion machine.

The proof of my assertion is at any CCS facility worldwide. There is not a single CCS plant that is operating successfully to its design parameters. Not one.

It would be possible to compensate for CO2 emissions by planting enough trees to absorb it. However, the human race seems to be more pre-occupied with deforestation.

• Like 1

I retired here (Phuket) some 3 years ago. In my mid 60's. In the initial stages of living here I experienced some skin rash issues in regard to the humidity but soon acclimatised.

I am (and my darling missus affirms) am healthy/healthier than whence I came here from a healthy coastal lifestyle in Australia.

The medical service here craps on even private hospital offerings in Oz so I have nothing but massive praise and recommendation for the Thai medical and medical dental treatment (and my experience of same reaches back some 13 years).

If you need dental or other medical procedures then come here to have it done ... superb.

If you live in Chiang Mai then the smoke pollution is a terrible season health issue for sure. Bangkok while nice to visit and enjoy aint' my cup of atmospheric tea ... ya' gets what ya' look for if you chose to live there. Living in a megacity then complaining about the crowding, traffic, and pollution shows what a dufus you are to complain so.

If you live in either place you get exactly what you ask for so stop complaining about that.

We are lucky/fortunate to live in an area free of regular evening plastic burning by the locals, no traffic noise whatsoever, and karaoke neighbours, close to gorgeous beaches which are quiet in the early mornings even in high tourist season and truly idyllic. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I'm seriously considering rocket launchers on the cab for them. Is that illegal here? Sorry, stupid question. Will I get a ticket for having /using them? If the fine is small I'll proceed with my plan.

I am investigating whether I can fit extendable sword blades on the wheels of my scooter and car, similar to what Stephen Boyd had in the film "Ben Hur".

I consider they would be particularly useful when cretins come rocketing up on the road shoulder, then  bull their way back into the lanes of traffic waiting at lights or police checkpoints.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I think the question has been answered conclusively.  Thailand is not a great place to live "health-wise" due to horrible air quality, dangerous roads and unhealthy food.  Yet, none of these health issues seem to put people off coming here!

Definitely not conslusively...if one lives on the southern islands like Koh Samui or Phuket, there is great fresh seafood available, good air quality and unparalleled opportunities for water sports except surfing.

10 hours ago, blazes said:

I think all people on this thread would agree that clean air is a desirable goal everywhere. That's one thing.  But getting the usual Climate Catastrophe thundering sermons is quite another thing.

The ideal (to get to the point of the thread) is to live in Thailand for 6 months (October to March) and your home country for the other six months.  (So long as your home country is not Russia or China, of course.)

that was my plan, but 6 months Thailand, 6 months at my home in Spain.  But the morons in country, UK, decided they did not want to be in the EU anymore........so they completely fecked it up for me!  So Spain now sold, and I remain here.........never will I go to UK, not even for one day!  The place sucks!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Been retired since 2014 from living in California. Moved here 2016. I first was able to exercise 20-30 hrs a week daily thanks to the fine weather. In CM I have rarely missed a day of exercise thank to even better weather than CA.

Where in CA?

1 hour ago, nickmondo said:

that was my plan, but 6 months Thailand, 6 months at my home in Spain.  But the morons in country, UK, decided they did not want to be in the EU anymore........so they completely fecked it up for me!  So Spain now sold, and I remain here.........never will I go to UK, not even for one day!  The place sucks!

Long Stay Visa for Spain, no?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am investigating whether I can fit extendable sword blades on the wheels of my scooter and car, similar to what Stephen Boyd had in the film "Ben Hur".

I consider they would be particularly useful when cretins come rocketing up on the road shoulder, then  bull their way back into the lanes of traffic waiting at lights or police checkpoints.

I saw that movie too and remember the chariot battles in the colleseum. A classic.

A quiver of broomsticks next to your seat would work too and be cheaper and less obvious. No identifiable origin.

It's amazing what ideas come out of a frank and honest discussion of common problems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

stickman say retirees to los all sem to die early ,see his blog

Well, almost (if not all) every single foreign friend that I knew in Phuket is dead.... motorbike accidents, liver cirrhosis, suicide, cancer, diabetes.  some were older than me, some younger.  Perhaps I'm just a Jonah!

• Like 1

Thailand keeps hyping itself as an ideal retirement destination, although it may be perfect for many retirees living in Thailand, as you age it does have several negative points also especially if I’ll health accompanies the aging process

1. you will be required to either have medical insurance or show 800,000 baht in savings in order to obtain a retirement (double if a couple). As we age medical insurance becomes more and more expensive and after reaching a certain age almost impossible to obtain. The 800,000 has to remain in your Thai bank and is supposed to cover medical expenses should the need arise, however Thailand never makes things easy and should you die here in Thailand your family will find it (by design) very difficult to gain access to funds you bequeath them.

2. if you have developed breathing difficulties then the poor air quality for much of the year may adversely affect your health, this government has pledged to make the air quality better but nothing changes.

3. hospitals now operate a government sanctioned dual pricing system, because you are a foreigner you will be expected to pay a premium for medical treatment. I agree with this at government hospitals as these are funded by the tax payer, however private hospitals are also being allowed to fleece expats living in Thailand 

3. If you have difficulty walking or need a wheelchair then I’d avoid Thailand at all costs, the footpaths are in terrible condition with  many of the following problems, uneven cobblestone, low hanging telephone wires, trees planted in the middle of the footpath, motorcycles using the footpaths, street vendors and shops blocking the paths forcing people to walk in the traffic, 

Thailand can be a great place to live, however it can be a nightmare if you are not in good health

• Like 2

14 hours ago, david_dyer said:

i live in the little southern community of thasala and it is perfect, no polution, good fresh sea air all the time, not much traffic and no tourists.

but i hate living here now......the duff duff duff duff <deleted> music in this area has made me hate thailand, and the stress of this <deleted> misic playing 24/7 makes it worth never returning.

so no, thailand is not a healthy place to live, kings cross in sydney was quiter than this

What kind of music is "duff duff duff duff" ? Techno or..... ?

10 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

A lot of options, Florida has been rapidly developing over the past 5 years or so, you might not even recognize it anymore.  The restaurant/culinary scene seems to be exploding and big investment going into a lot of the bigger cities and its infrastructure.  That said, hard to top Bangkok if it wasn't for the bad air.

Any particular Florida cities you recommend?

17 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Florida is a very nice and less expensive alternative to California.

Problem is rent and buying a home is so expensive now it is crazy. I bought a home in Texas about 18 years ago. If i had to come back and rent I could not afford it. The US is getting crazy. My appraisal value on my home here went up almost 50,000 since last year's appraisal.. It is insaine.

7 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Air quality is incredible important to westerners…we were raised in it as a right to breathe clean air….

So expectations are extremely high…

True, I have a very slight respiratory problem. No problem what so ever in most countries I visit.  But, in Thailand it makes it absolutely not livable several months a year. I thought I had out grown the problem. Also the older I am getting, 70 now. It is getting worse for me there. I didn't have allot of problems yeas ago when I used to live there. Now it is not possible. 

• Sad 1