Phuket Restaurant Prices - Dual Pricing

Banana7

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Local markets, item not priced = no sale.

Yes, big markets, especially tourist markets people always ask about, how to haggle ....

... if haggling is expected, you already paid to much, no matter how low they go.

I leave the 'fresh' veggies & meats to her.  I'll do the prepped, cooked, or pastries.  Usually marked, or I know by now how much things cost.  Anything else the markets have, I can get same place they do, LAZ ????

• Like 1

Just now, KhunLA said:

I leave the 'fresh' veggies & meats to her.

I bought some nice yellow mangoes 25bht/Kg, and deep fried chicken breast in breadcrumbs 5bht/piece from our local Thursday market. Everything in the market is priced. Don't eat veggies, wouldn't dare buy the rotting meat.

• Like 1

this seems to come up at least every 6 months going back 20 ++ years

"Phuket is expensive, a rip off" etc etc

Dont like it there?
OK , but why are you on the phuket section here?

Dont visit this section, dont visit Phuket, you wont be missed>
for some of us, we made it our homes and are very happy

BYe Bye

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

......and yet you still came three times.

And him and many others commenting on here how awful it is, yet they keep coming. I think it is time to start commenting on the Pattaya forum as well.

20 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

only 99.8% accurate. If you have a pink ID card you pay Thai prices, if aged 60 or over entry is free. That's been my experience over the 8 years I've lived here.

I went to Laemson National Park, showed my pink ID card, I am over 60 (was asked my age), but I still had to pay full farang price, 5 times greater than the Thai price, which was 200b, if I remember correctly.

On 4/15/2022 at 12:46 AM, Salerno said:

Seperate menus - Thai and English. If you don't know how likely are you to ask for the Thai version? It's not just a Phuket thing.

Many places have dual language menus with prices to match. Not only in Phuket, everywhere

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Reality check ... me & wife don't walk together at fresh / local markets, locally or out & about.  If I see something I like, then I'll ask her to price it first.   I'm always a few paces ahead or behind her....nuff said.  

Too  much said.

My comment about the market referred to me being alone, as indicated by "I".

19 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

......and yet you still came three times.

I got a wife out of. A very good one in fact. That was four years ago.

Great investment.

I doubt Phuket has gotten any better either.

22 hours ago, carabaothai said:

I have a pink card, I am over 60 and I paid 400 thb the entry at Maya Bay last month! When my wife paid 40 ????????

And a Thai friend, over 60, paid 0 THB ????????????????

Free for him and 10x the thai price for me ????????????????

did you show them the pink ID card, which would also show that you are older than 60. Regardless of dual pricing, the 60 and over rule applies to both Thais AND long term residents if they can show proof, viz pink ID card. If person at ticketing office refuses to accept that then you have them call management and rectify the issue. I've encountered this a few times, but as soon as my Thai wife tells them to call management they back down and let me in for free.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My favourite eating spot in CM, Huay Tung Tao lake, entry 20bht Thai, 50bht foreigner, over 60s free. But they won't offer you free entry (no signs up except 20bht/50bht), they ask for 50bht and you have to know over 60s is free entry.

I've been there, showed my pink ID card and got in for free.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Banana7 said:

I went to Laemson National Park, showed my pink ID card, I am over 60 (was asked my age), but I still had to pay full farang price, 5 times greater than the Thai price, which was 200b, if I remember correctly.

same as I said in another reply, that's when you have your Thai wife/partner insist on management being called to resolve. In my experience they've backed down every time rather than have the manager come to the ticketing office.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, KhunLA said:

No admission fee at Layan park

image.png.ba662c2339544c8768e887ff1b7e0b54.png

There's a barrier (which is very rarely closed), one or two staff (but they are usually immersed in their phones and leave at about 3pm) and a huge billboard with a very detailed and dual-priced list of admission fees.

I think you are talking about a different place?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

There's a barrier (which is very rarely closed), one or two staff (but they are usually immersed in their phones and leave at about 3pm) and a huge billboard with a very detailed and dual-priced list of admission fees.

I think you are talking about a different place?

I was there a few times during the 'situation', as actually staffed, but nobody batted an eye.  I did think about turning around when I saw them.

Sit corrected though, as that snap is from a non govt site.

Here's a snap from gov't site.

image.png.ca9a5d9c35c676c7ea13dab135686b6b.png

On 4/14/2022 at 4:31 PM, stevenl said:

Also Phuket News. It is 1 place only though, not multiple as was said earlier.

I don't mind high prices, we all have a choice, I do mind double pricing.

There is double pricing on Phuket for sure but it is not so widespread as some people want to believe.

I have to admit that I don't frequent the beach tourist restaurants but most restaurants on the island don't do double pricing.

I think that it is mainly concentrated at the beach area or the view points etc.

On 4/15/2022 at 9:55 AM, TigerandDog said:

only 99.8% accurate. If you have a pink ID card you pay Thai prices, if aged 60 or over entry is free. That's been my experience over the 8 years I've lived here.

That was the case but most parks don't accept the pink ID card or any other ID card anymore for foreigners.

51 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

I experienced it at a small restaurant somewhere near Nakhon Nayok. All my food had been increased by 50 baht/item, when my wife queried we were told "farang surcharge"

Eventually they backed down as my wife had made the order and not me ????

Also, whenever we travel up-country, my wife will go into hotels to book, the staff look gutted when they see me walk in.

Next time take a photo of the menu and the bill. Say, let's go see the Police, I want you charged with trying to Cheat. Or better yet, pay the bill, get a receipt and then go to the police. The transaction was completed so there is no backing out, evidence is complete. Also post on the internet.

Edited by Banana7

On 4/15/2022 at 3:55 PM, TigerandDog said:

Pink ID card is usually worthless and doesn't guarantee Thai prices.

A Thai driver's license is arguably better.

4 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Pink ID card is usually worthless and doesn't guarantee Thai prices.

A Thai driver's license is arguably better.

Either is useless, if the discretion of whoever, doesn't accept it.  If they know the rules, if any and more so, if they care.

TIT ... and wouldn't expect anyone to know or accept either.  Not that I, personally, would need them to, as avoid any place that even comes into question.  Why bother and waste my time & brain cells.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 11:49 AM, KhunLA said:

Not awful, or wouldn't be here, just need to be aware.  All avoidable, as are most things, worldwide.

Just don't try to justify it to me, that's silly, and I know better ... IMHO

Awful is what they're saying time and time again.

43 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Awful is what they're saying time and time again.

Only on those awful subjects.  Dual pricing, smog, litter, uncycled recyclables, fecal level in the seas, aside from reported trash, though surf here is mostly litter free.  Yea, they are awful, and unfortunately, happen in most countries, aside from the blatant govt approved dual pricing.

Have love / hate relationship with every place I've lived.  Don't dwell on the hate, as unhealthy.  When the hate wins, I leave.  Lived in 2 countries, wouldn't return to the 1 (USA), I don't think, and lived in 4 different states there, and wouldn't return to them either.  

Lived in 2 provinces here, and would never return to Udon Thani, or live anywhere Hua Hin or above.  Hated being there, Udon as long as I was and couldn't wait to leave.  Made the best of it though, as surely there's worse places, but 16 yrs was more than enough.  No choice in the matter, so adapted, and made it as comfy as possible for us.

Thailand ... love is still winning, and don't expect that to change.  Renting sucks, and rarely do, but temporary.  

Lovin' it here, and don't know how people read into it that I don't.  Must be the topics you're reading, as I post more positive than negative.  But hey ... whatever.

Others do seem to hate every aspect of living here, and I do wonder why they stay.  Others hate it, but aren't even here or visit, and I wonder why they even comment ... they got some issues.

Surprised how many people comment that don't live here or even visit.

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Only on those awful subjects.  Dual pricing, smog, litter, uncycled recyclables, fecal level in the seas, aside from reported trash, though surf here is mostly litter free.  Yea, they are awful, and unfortunately, happen in most countries, aside from the blatant govt approved dual pricing.

Have love / hate relationship with every place I've lived.  Don't dwell on the hate, as unhealthy.  When the hate wins, I leave.  Lived in 2 countries, wouldn't return to the 1 (USA), I don't think, and lived in 4 different states there, and wouldn't return to them either.  

Lived in 2 provinces here, and would never return to Udon Thani, or live anywhere Hua Hin or above.  Hated being there, Udon as long as I was and couldn't wait to leave.  Made the best of it though, as surely there's worse places, but 16 yrs was more than enough.  No choice in the matter, so adapted, and made it as comfy as possible for us.

Thailand ... love is still winning, and don't expect that to change.  Renting sucks, and rarely do, but temporary.  

Lovin' it here, and don't know how people read into it that I don't.  Must be the topics you're reading, as I post more positive than negative.  But hey ... whatever.

Others do seem to hate every aspect of living here, and I do wonder why they stay.  Others hate it, but aren't even here or visit, and I wonder why they even comment ... they got some issues.

Surprised how many people comment that don't live here or even visit.

So in your opinion this is not calling Phuket awful. I presume we have a different definition of the word then.

I don't know why you see this as directed at you btw.

"Strangely enough,I have just finished a call with my m8 who is visiting DC and I was talking about Phuket and the way they cheat people there.I said " will never again go to this place" few minutes later I saw this news.

Very true Avoid Phuket."

Edited by stevenl

4 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Next time take a photo of the menu and the bill. Say, let's go see the Police, I want you charged with trying to Cheat. Or better yet, pay the bill, get a receipt and then go to the police. The transaction was completed so there is no backing out, evidence is complete. Also post on the internet.

Ha ha the local bib were already eating there.

And you know what happens if you publicise a dodgy establishment

On 4/17/2022 at 4:37 AM, merijn said:

There is double pricing on Phuket for sure but it is not so widespread as some people want to believe.

I have to admit that I don't frequent the beach tourist restaurants but most restaurants on the island don't do double pricing.

I think that it is mainly concentrated at the beach area or the view points etc.

That was the case but most parks don't accept the pink ID card or any other ID card anymore for foreigners.

"That was the case but most parks don't accept the pink ID card or any other ID card anymore for foreigners."

They do where I am, and I've only ever been told once that they don't accept it.  As I've said previously in other replies, if they try to tell you the pink ID card is not accepted, insist on the manager being called (even better if your Thai wife/partner does this), they'll usually back down as they don't want to get in trouble. Ticket sellers that refuse to accept are usually running their own little scam. Charge foreigner price, but record the sale as Thai price so they can pocket the difference. Had that experience once in Chonburi. Wife insisted on calling the manager, ticket seller refused to do so, so wife kept insisting, eventually manager was called. So instead of being happy to pay the Thai price, we insisted on over 60 price of 0 baht. Wife received an apology email from manager the next day. Turned out the ticket seller had been scamming as previously mentioned.

• Thanks 2