Electric Vehicles in Thailand

46 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

:offtopic2:

This topic is “electric vehicles in Thailand” not “EVs in China”

If you want to start your own discussion please do so but don’t hijack this one.

We have busted the myth about China EV fires many times, but you couldn’t be bothered to check before posting  - what a time waster!

There are several Anti China channels that are happy to post anything that makes China look bad, they are not EV experts and clearly don’t know the difference between an EV a HEV or a PHEV. Most of the fires I have seen have been in PHEVs.

We restrict this topic to Thailand only as it much easier to fact check what is posted about Thailand.

Most new EVs have moved away from NMC Cathode Chemistry to LFP which far safer and what we recommend here. Having said that all EVs are far less lightly to catch fire than ICE vehicles.

Thanks to @JBChiangRai (I think) for posting this previously.

Fire

The figures are how often a car with an ICE engine under the bonnet catches fire compared to a pure EV, figures are per 100,000 sales so are harmonised to the fact there are more ICE vehicles on the road.

Sweden 147 times more likely (3400/23)
Petrol and diesel cars 20 times more likely to catch fire than EVs (thedriven.io)

https://thedriven.io/2023/05/16/petrol-and-diesel-cars-20-times-more-likely-to-catch-fire-than-evs/

Singapore 118 times more likely (356/3)
EV fire cases rise with growing adoption of such cars | The Straits Times
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/ev-fire-cases-rise-with-growing-adoption

Australia 98 times more likely (393/4)
Electric vehicle fires are very rare. The risk for petrol and diesel vehicles is at least 20 times higher (theconversation.com)

https://theconversation.com/electric-vehicle-fires-are-very-rare-the-risk-for-petrol-and-diesel-vehicles-is-at-least-20-times-higher-213468

America 199 times more likely (5004/25.1)
Government data show gasoline vehicles are up to 100x more prone to fires than EVs | Electrek
https://electrek.co/2022/01/12/government-data-shows-gasoline-vehicles-are-significantly-more-prone-to-fires-than-evs/

UK:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/nov/20/do-electric-cars-pose-a-greater-fire-risk-than-petrol-or-diesel-vehicles

Firstly, you want to separate China EV from Thailand EV but they both come from the same.. China. Either imported or built by Chinese companies in Thailand. So you can not separate those. 

Second, I appreciate your links sent but honestly I do not read rags. The news services from those links are called tabloid news for a reason. 

And last if not all, although you try to make EVs so good without risk, makes it seem as if you are trying to promote them. Advertise to get one even. I did not hijack your thread.. Merely stated that there is considerable risk to fires that even the fire departments have trouble controlling. You can not say that the videos i saw were old or a certain type of battery. That is only your assumption. My suggestion was to wait and see what happens with the EVs that are presently out in Thailand die to what was seen on Chinese social media with many EV cars catching fire. You twisted that into hijacking the thread, which is not what I did. China has been using EV for a lot longer than Thailand and have more vehicles on their roads that are EV than Thailand so it makes a good comparison to what my post suggested could happen and probably will. 

If you want to focus only on Thailand without any reference, then use the fact that usually only substandard products are made and distributed in Thailand. Imagine the quality of their EVs made only in Thailand using cheap labour and cutting corners to make more profit ( as thais usually do in everything ). then you have to consider more about the power needs in Thailand are not being met without so many EVs using rolling blackouts in some regions to make sure they have enough electric. My home in the south gets blackouts monthly from the electric company for this reason. How will Thailand meet a surge in supplying electric to so many EVs? Currently there is more risk to have an EV than there should be for several reasons. Safety and fire hazards and electric availability are only a few to name. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

:offtopic2:

This topic is “electric vehicles in Thailand” not “EVs in China”

If you want to start your own discussion please do so but don’t hijack this one.

We have busted the myth about China EV fires many times, but you couldn’t be bothered to check before posting  - what a time waster!

There are several Anti China channels that are happy to post anything that makes China look bad, they are not EV experts and clearly don’t know the difference between an EV a HEV or a PHEV. Most of the fires I have seen have been in PHEVs.

We restrict this topic to Thailand only as it much easier to fact check what is posted about Thailand.

Most new EVs have moved away from NMC Cathode Chemistry to LFP which far safer and what we recommend here. Having said that all EVs are far less lightly to catch fire than ICE vehicles.

Thanks to @JBChiangRai (I think) for posting this previously.

Fire

The figures are how often a car with an ICE engine under the bonnet catches fire compared to a pure EV, figures are per 100,000 sales so are harmonised to the fact there are more ICE vehicles on the road.

Sweden 147 times more likely (3400/23)
Petrol and diesel cars 20 times more likely to catch fire than EVs (thedriven.io)

https://thedriven.io/2023/05/16/petrol-and-diesel-cars-20-times-more-likely-to-catch-fire-than-evs/

Singapore 118 times more likely (356/3)
EV fire cases rise with growing adoption of such cars | The Straits Times
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/ev-fire-cases-rise-with-growing-adoption

Australia 98 times more likely (393/4)
Electric vehicle fires are very rare. The risk for petrol and diesel vehicles is at least 20 times higher (theconversation.com)

https://theconversation.com/electric-vehicle-fires-are-very-rare-the-risk-for-petrol-and-diesel-vehicles-is-at-least-20-times-higher-213468

America 199 times more likely (5004/25.1)
Government data show gasoline vehicles are up to 100x more prone to fires than EVs | Electrek
https://electrek.co/2022/01/12/government-data-shows-gasoline-vehicles-are-significantly-more-prone-to-fires-than-evs/

UK:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/nov/20/do-electric-cars-pose-a-greater-fire-risk-than-petrol-or-diesel-vehicles

The FactCheck patrol 🚓 will have to step in here. EVs in Thailand burn 🔥 pretty well.

How come you don't like numbers from China, but happily quote fake numbers from 4 other countries???

Thai EV fire 🔥 risk: 10.1 fire/billion miles

Tesla global: 5 fire/billion miles

ICE (USA): 55 fires/billion miles

1. Tesla 3 - September 20th, 2021, power pole collision Rama 2.

2. BYD Atto 3 - January 21st, 2023, house fire, Songkran. Traction battery did not burn.

3. BYD Seal - March 14th, 2024, Ratchaburi roll-over.

4. Porsche Taycan - May 24th, 2024, battery explosion, Paradise Car Showroom.

5. Neta-V - June 11th, 2024, median accident and fire, Saraburi.

6. Neta-V - June 12th, 2024, accident and fire at towing area, Tha Phra, Khon Kaen.

7. MG ES - June 22nd, 2024, hit axle part on the road, Chonburi motorway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Used ICE car prices have been affected by the domino effect multiple issues the primary issue is oversupply of used cheap car stock

During 2023-2024, the used car market in Thailand faced significant challenges. In 2023, the number of cars seized by financial institutions was approximately 250,000-300,000 units, almost double from the previous year (150,000-180,000 units). 

All seized cars were sent to auction lots. In 2023, there were almost 300,000 cars entering auction lots, resulting in an oversupply of used cars. Used car operators had to lower the selling price. Some dealerships may have to accept a loss in order to maintain the liquidity of the business.

https://mgronline.com/motoring/detail/9670000063452

Now when a private buyer or tent sells a car they aim to sell it for as close to what they believe the car is worth and majority will wait for the right price

The cars seized by financial institutions put up at auction also aim to get the highest amount possible for the car but if they will accept any offer rather than withdraw it from the auction sale and relist the car 

The financial institutions know if the auction sale doesn't cover the finance balance they will go after the original buyer or the buyer guarantor to recover the balance from what ever assets they own

With Used EV's at the moment both tents and financial institutions are giving EV's a wide berth due to the fluctuating prices and unable to determine the value of the EV

When new prices of EV's drop in price by between B100K - B340K if you bought  a used car before the price reduction impossible to sell without taking a major hit as no-one is going to buy at pre price reduction price

I did see last of the Neta V 1 for sale at B399k

Indeed, used car prices have seemed to plummet to where they are actually attractive vs new. 

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Indeed, used car prices have seemed to plummet to where they are actually attractive vs new. 

I'm looking for and can't find a sensibly priced ORA Good Cat, I don't agree with you.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I'm looking for and can't find a sensibly priced ORA Good Cat, I don't agree with you.

I did see a ora good cat 500 ultra I think new for B660K on Byd thailand facebook group

also tried the Deepal S07 - great looking car and very comfy...could do with more power. Kia EV5 was a very nice product but i would prefer either Kia ev6 or ev3  awd.. or zeeker

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

GoodCat.thumb.png.e088eb6dc14f3d3dd38f0e185480a245.png

That's too many miles for a 2 year old car. at 36% discount, I think it's too expensive.  I prefer the 400 pro, she doesn't need that range.

They seem to be keeping their value as if they were an ICE.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, DTL2014 said:

also tried the Deepal S07 - great looking car and very comfy...could do with more power. Kia EV5 was a very nice product but i would prefer either Kia ev6 or ev3  awd.. or zeeker

What do you think about the Kia EV5 interior? I sat in one at the BKK car show, and my wife and I agreed that it was very plastic looking and all hard surfaces - it might be a nice car in other respects, but for us it was just totally out of place compared to the Chinese brands. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/31/2024 at 7:03 PM, motdaeng said:

my guess is that the byd seal 07 will enter the thai market by the end of the year or at the beginning of 2025.

it seems like the interior of the seal 07 will get a significant update. the byd seal 07 should be officially introduced

in china next month, in august!

"BYD Seal 07 to launch on August 8 in both EV and PHEV forms"

https://carnewschina.com/2024/07/31/byd-seal-07-to-launch-on-august-8-in-both-ev-and-phev-forms/

• Haha 1