Electric Vehicles in Thailand

4 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Ups.... 🔥 

A major fire broke out on Thursday evening in a long-term car park in the industrial area of Prior Velho, near Lisbon International Airport.

Initial reports suggest that a parked electric car may have caused the fire. No injuries have been reported so far. The fire, which was discovered at around 18:00 p.m. local time, required the deployment of around 140 firefighters and 48 vehicles, who tried to bring the fire under control until late in the evening. Their main focus is to prevent the fire from spreading to the adjacent industrial area. Despite the smoke, air traffic at Lisbon Airport has so far remained unaffected.

https://aviation.direct/en/major-fire-in-parking-garage-near-Lisbon-airport

Do keep us updated if this was indeed caused by an EV traction battery.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Do keep us updated if this was indeed caused by an EV traction battery.

Thanks Gman.

The Lisbon fires 🔥 is more relevant to Thailand than most people realize.

The Korean underground parking and Lisbon Airport fire is already being closely monitored by fire authorities in Thailand 🇹🇭

As EVs become more prevalent, it is just a matter of time before we also have a possible fatal multistorey parking fire in Thailand. 

There are 1,000s of condos, offices and shopping centers with hundreds of cars parked. 

The deads will quickly be forgotten, but who will pay for the hundreds of burned 🔥 out cars?

The insurance? 

The car owner?

The EV manufacturer?

The charging station?

• Confused 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/1/2024 at 8:09 AM, thesetat2013 said:

Given all of the recent videos being posted in China about EV batteries catching fire. You may want to wait a few years before considering buying one. I have been watching China social media content recently and there are many cases coming out now showing these batteries literally spitting flames out and even fire departments were unable to douse the flames. 

You might want to do some research and find out that half of the global EV battery production are Chinese companies with majority of the batteries also produced in China.

image.png.89859a6b39d9c44c5136688e6654bb6f.png

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

AKA station wagon

Yea, I'm not getting all the SUV designations.  Not exactly what I'd call SUVs.  Even our MG ZS is silly to be called an SUV.   Love the extra head room (not needed), and imagined roominess.   But reality, the EP so similarly spec'd it's silly for most to pay the premium 170k difference in price, when ZS not on sale, or 50-100k more when is on sale.

Plus of ZS is driver's door, getting in & out with a mediocre back.  Higher seating to look down on the little people :cheesy:  Shorter for easier parking.

More glass and visibility.  but less cargo space than EP as ZS is taller, but EP is longer, so does squeeze in more, though 1 pc sizing may be an issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CLW said:

You might want to do some research and find out that half of the global EV battery production are Chinese companies with majority of the batteries also produced in China.

image.png.89859a6b39d9c44c5136688e6654bb6f.png

Tesla makes their own batteries, right?

How come they are not in ur list?

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

They don't make their own batteries.

They use CATL batteries, also BYD blade batteries (for model Y I think?) and also Panasonic and LG. Pretty sure they don't make their own at all, but they might assemble some components from Panasonic and LG and they become "Tesla batteries".

I could be wrong though but that's my understanding. Other people will know more.

(Not sure why I answered really, should just wait for someone else who knows more)

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Tesla has recently dipped its toes into making its own batteries but the great majority of batteries used by Tesla are made by

Panasonic, LG, CATL, and BYD.

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/where-does-tesla-get-its-lithium-updated-2024#:~:text=What company makes Tesla's,cells containing nickel and cobalt.

https://insideevs.com/news/587455/batteries-tesla-using-electric-cars/

image.png.da955496d2745f46d2452974a2e1faf0.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pib said:

Tesla has recently dipped its toes into making its own batteries but the great majority of batteries used by Tesla are made by

Panasonic, LG, CATL, and BYD.

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/where-does-tesla-get-its-lithium-updated-2024#:~:text=What company makes Tesla's,cells containing nickel and cobalt.

https://insideevs.com/news/587455/batteries-tesla-using-electric-cars/

image.png.da955496d2745f46d2452974a2e1faf0.png

Thanks @Pib.

As is now a familiar pattern within the EV industry, the Tesla sales guy served me some porky pies 🥧 during the recent test drive, as he said the batteries was made by Tesla.

From memory I also recall Elmo was saying the batteries 🔋 were flying off the assembly line like bullets, when Tesla was building the first mega factor in the US.

In the Tesla guys defense, Tesla might not make the little round battery cell, but they do manufacture the battery pack, so maybe a language thing.

9 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

In the Tesla guys defense, Tesla might not make the little round battery cell, but they do manufacture the battery pack, so maybe a language thing.

I think that's the way it works....Tesla buys the batteries from other companies like Panasonic, LG, CATL, BYD, etc., and then Tesla assembles the battery "pack" consisting of the batteries, BMS, cooling system, etc., at its megafactories.    

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pib said:

I think that's the way it works....Tesla buys the batteries from other companies like Panasonic, LG, CATL, BYD, etc., and then Tesla assembles the battery "pack" consisting of the batteries, BMS, cooling system, etc., at its megafactories.    

Under the control of the megaruler with megapower, a  megaego and with a megamouth on him.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Such a shame. I used to have so much admiration for him as he is/was a genuine visionary. He basically pioneered electric motoring for the mass market, released all his patents so everyone could use them - his outlook being that he wants the motoring world to be electric and if you can do it better than Tesla you are welcome and competition is good. (Probably regrets that now with the rise of BYD). But I admire that tremendously.

He built Space X on his dream/vision to cut down on waste, cost, make rockets reusable and therefore make space travel more affordable - everyone thought it was impossible but he did it, and seeing those rockets land in parallel, perfectly, on drone ships still gives me tingles, incredible. He wants the human race to be interplanetary and I think he'll eventually achieve it even though I don't share his reasoning.

Hyperloop was a great concept/vision but seems to have gone quiet. I like his Boring Company although not sure what problem it is really solving. 

So I think he is one of the great visionaries of our time. I just wish I had never followed him on Twitter because now all I see is an insecure, racist, right wing loon, albeit a very clever one. And he reposts lies (Yaxley-Lennon type misinformation). I still respect him for his achievements and what he did for the EV world - he is a visionary and a genius - I just don't respect him as a person anymore. Admire his achievements, don't admire him as a person.

Yeah, you and all the other free-thinkers on the left. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, you and all the other free-thinkers on the left. 

Did someone get out the wrong side of the bed today? 

They don't come much more right wing than me and I also admire the achievements but despair about the man.

I don't see what being right or left wing has to do with it, it's not a logical conclusion.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

XPENG G6 price revealed

IMG_6838.thumb.jpeg.243d12786647ac3b3c563494da63ac6c.jpeg

a few months ago, i had the chance to take a closer look at  the xpeng g6.

now i am really surprised by the high price. the competition with similar vehicles is strong,

and a service network isn't yet in place (?). i'm curious to see how well it will sell ...

how many cars does xpeng plan to sell per month? eg. zekkr's goal is 500 cars per month,

which i believe will be difficult to achieve over a long period with just one or two models.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Did someone get out the wrong side of the bed today? 

They don't come much more right wing than me and I also admire the achievements but despair about the man.

I don't see what being right or left wing has to do with it, it's not a logical conclusion.

You do not think that being right or left wing has anything to do with this claim: "So I think he is one of the great visionaries of our time. I just wish I had never followed him on Twitter because now all I see is an insecure, racist, right wing loon, albeit a very clever one. And he reposts lies (Yaxley-Lennon type misinformation). I still respect him for his achievements and what he did for the EV world - he is a visionary and a genius - I just don't respect him as a person anymore. Admire his achievements, don't admire him as a person."

That is what I responded to. Do you share that opinion? 

I'm married, I get out of the same side of the bed every day. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1