Electric Vehicles in Thailand

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not that I would spend over 1m baht for any 4 wheeled vehicle, but I'd go with Tesla, as better spec'd & price.  Simply don't trust Volvo or BMW, as put out a lot of krap in the past.

I have heard a lot about poor build quality and fit and finish of Teslas. Comments like "You'd only buy one once". No first hand experience though but I am interested in checking them out.

Just to tackle your Volvo comment though. As a Volvo owner they are extremely well built, very good materials and finish, and better specced then anything else in the same price bracket (although maybe Tesla can challenge that on the spec front, not sure).  Never bought two cars from the same manufacturer as I like to try different things, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Volvo, my ownership experience has been great.  My current one is ICE, my next one will be electric - and I wrote about my three days with a pure electric XC40 earlier in this thread.

I am interested in the Tesla though but also keen to see / try the new generation of all electric Volvos that will appear in 2023.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Was driving behind a brand new Audi e-Tron GT yesterday - stunning looking car.

Substantially cheaper and slightly de-tuned compared to the Porsche Taycan on which it is based.  I wonder if you can get one quicker than the 18 months to 2 years you have to wait for a Porsche?

11 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I have heard a lot about poor build quality and fit and finish of Teslas. Comments like "You'd only buy one once". No first hand experience though but I am interested in checking them out.

Just to tackle your Volvo comment though. As a Volvo owner they are extremely well built, very good materials and finish, and better specced then anything else in the same price bracket (although maybe Tesla can challenge that on the spec front, not sure).  Never bought two cars from the same manufacturer as I like to try different things, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Volvo, my ownership experience has been great.  My current one is ICE, my next one will be electric - and I wrote about my three days with a pure electric XC40 earlier in this thread.

I am interested in the Tesla though but also keen to see / try the new generation of all electric Volvos that will appear in 2023.

Their XC60 Hybrid took a beating in some reviews, with a few issues:

https://www.breakeryard.com/car-parts/volvo/xc60/common-problems

I think if you're going to build a better anything, you take a good hard look at what's out there and build something better.

For Tesla, there was nothing else to look at.  For every manufacturer since, they probably bought a Tesla and worked out how they could build better.

Maybe Musk will take a good hard look at what is better than Tesla (which is practically everything) and his next brand new car will be better.  His chief engineer (Peter Rawlinson) wanted to improve Tesla and Musk wouldn't let him so he started his own company, Lucid.  Lucid's motor is different, smaller and more efficient.  I think Musk's view was that he didn't need to improve because there was no competition, hopefully his view is now different.

The other issue with Tesla (which probably won't affect us here) is build quality.  American workers don't have the work ethic of the Chinese, and your average worker doesn't care about quality.  I know if I worked for Musk, I probably wouldn't be too motivated either, especially if I worked at Twitter.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think Musk's view was that he didn't need to improve because there was no competition, hopefully his view is now different.

Awaiting his much touted 'game changing' Tesla 2 when it shows up.  That will tell if he's concerned about the competition, or simply producing something similar but less expensive.

Edited by KhunLA

toyota-hilux-ev-concept-debut.jpg.febdbe2c9c9fca866237c793bb6fa6ea.jpg

"Toyota has debuted, but not debuted, an electric version of its popular Hilux pickup in Thailand. Little is known about the specs, with Toyota Thailand glossing over battery size and power output details in a launch that was, to say the least, low-key.

The assembled press corps was able to enjoy schmaltzy speeches and powerpoints from teary-eyed executives, without the distraction of any actual vehicles on show, just a couple of unconvincing mock-ups of something called the Hilux Revo BEV Concept, which resembles the dullest, orthodox pick up imaginable. It is close to impossible to conceive of a less inspiring vehicle....."

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/technology/toyota-launches-electric-hilux-in-thailand

6 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

... Hilux Revo BEV Concept...

Akio Toyoda:

"At Toyota we believe in creating a full portfolio of carbon-reducing choices for our customers, from hybrid electric vehicles like this Camry to plug-in electric vehicles like our Prius Prime to full, battery electric cars like our new bZ4X...

...But we're not stopping there.

That's why we've introduced fuel cell vehicles like our Toyota Mirai and are pursuing hydrogen fuel options like these GR Yaris and Corolla Cross hydrogen-powered concept cars."

Some say the EVs are the future.

At Toyota they seem to think that EVs are just a stopgap.

Edited by unheard

On 12/13/2022 at 8:17 AM, Bandersnatch said:

@mistral53 do keep us posted on your experiences. I for one will have questions and I am sure many others will have too.

It’s normal in Thailand to get a free 1 year of First Class insurance with a new car. There was nothing on the Tesla website about insurance. Tesla does sell it’s own insurance in some states in the USA. Some FB groups are saying insurance can cost ฿50,000 which is what you would pay for a similar priced BMW.

All the reviews I have seen claim that Teslas have a firm ride, with the Y being worse and on both models being worse the bigger the wheels you choose.

My order has not progressed much, but there is word on the street that:

-The film is not paid for, not free.
-Insurance. Cash. Pay by yourself. Pay by installments.
-Wall charge, pay by yourself.
-Register and pay for it yourself.

It seems all the freebees usually included for new car buyers are not included with the unique Tesla sales approach.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mistral53 said:

It seems all the freebees usually included for new car buyers are not included with the unique Tesla sales approach.

Wheels are extra too

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

MG ZS

Film ... Included free, turned down, and threw something else in. 

Ins ... Free

Wall charger & install... Free & 2 weeks installed 

3500 for reg/tags... standard for every car we purchased, I think.

8 yr / 180k kms battery warranty

5 yr everything else

Delivered 1 month earlier than expected.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Is the wall charger card operated? or iSmart? or buttons?

If card operated, is it in the box?

We haven't even opened the box on my daughter's EP+, I probably should.

The MG wall charger has both options - card or just 'connect and go' (programmed by iSmart via bluetooth) There is a function to operate the charger via iSmart, but I found that option useless for my needs.

I use the MG wall charger for the MG and a MB PHEV - works like a charm.

1 minute ago, mistral53 said:

The MG wall charger has both options - card or just 'connect and go' (programmed by iSmart via bluetooth) There is a function to operate the charger via iSmart, but I found that option useless for my needs.

I use the MG wall charger for the MG and a MB PHEV - works like a charm.

Is the card in the box? or do I need to ask for one?

48 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The free MG Wall Charger comes with 2 RFID Cards in the box.

MG-ZS-EV-181.jpg.ff7c44990fe5b0ebe6cfce096c76b8a2.jpg

It is possible to add the wall charger to the iSmart App so that the RFID car is not required by adding the code number of the charger  (see white sticker on the cable)

RFID.thumb.jpg.667b3f7ee30c7fe023bbf5fc28b20181.jpg

20221207_033828000_iOS.thumb.png.d035f6416cd6dd73b9506c3fa82f98f6.png

5 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

The free MG Wall Charger comes with 2 RFID Cards in the box.

It is possible to add the wall charger to the iSmart App so that the RFID car is not required by adding the code number of the charger  (see white sticker on the cable)

Thanks, I like the security aspect.

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Wheels are extra too

Standard wheels  18’’ Aero Wheels for Model 3 and  19’’ Gemini Wheels for model Y are included

Model Y LR you can pay for 20’’ Induction Wheels ฿80,000

Also included is the standard colour (black in Thailand) ฿50,000 for others colours and ฿80,000 extra for Red Multi-Coat

2 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Standard wheels  18’’ Aero Wheels for Model 3 and  19’’ Gemini Wheels for model Y are included

Model Y LR you can pay for 20’’ Induction Wheels ฿80,000

Also included is the standard colour (black in Thailand) ฿50,000 for others colours and ฿80,000 extra for Red Multi-Coat

I remember when you had to pay extra for Black with most manufacturers.  Not a good choice in hot climates.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Came with 2 cards, in the box I think, as wife opened and gave to installer to do his thing.

Had the wall charger for 2 months, and used it 3 times.????

1. 5kW tester, when installed

2.top up last 20%, prior to Kanchaburi O&A

3. actually this morning, as headed to Hua Hin in about an hour.

Unless a last minute, or late top up, and O&A, more than 100 kms away, can't really see us using it.  Hua Hin is 100 kms away, so 100% is plenty to get there & back, alone with driving around if need to.   Come back with 20-25% reserve, as we did Wednesday.

Gets us to Ban Krut, southward, not much more of interest till Chumpon, and too for, so would need a CS.  Ban Saphans don't do much for us, though a few good restaurants about.

Unfortunately, local O&A are limited, due to hills bordering Myanmar only 10 kms W, and the surf 4 kms E.

N we have KuiBuri, Sam Roi Yot, Pranburi & HH.

S ... only Ban Krut that interests us, unless overnight at Thung Wua Laen, Chumphon area.  Decent free waterfall down that way, if in the area, not too far off Hwy #4/PhetKasem rd.

Bottom of PKK province and 92 kms from us.

image.png.ae166e3e22e9b6e6a7f9b42461d61447.png

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Namtok+Sai+Khu/@11.2737118,99.2329964,10.82z/data=!4m22!1m16!4m15!1m6!1m2!1s0x30fed705f5f4d4c9:0xac298c1c1995ccbe!2sNamtok+Sai+Khu!2m2!1d99.334004!2d11.248322!1m6!1m2!1s0x30fed705f5f4d4c9:0xac298c1c1995ccbe!2s68XM%2B8JC+Namtok+Sai+Khu,+Highway+1047,+Ron+Thong,+Bang+Saphan+District,+Prachuap+Khiri+Khan+77230!2m2!1d99.334004!2d11.248322!3e0!3m4!1s0x30fed705f5f4d4c9:0xac298c1c1995ccbe!8m2!3d11.248322!4d99.334004

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

This is in the U.K.  I can't imagine how limited the recharge network in Thailand is. 

image.png.95bdf762dcc81984d0de9ec4beaae74b.png

TH  CS network is not limited at all.  Matter of fact, way more than needed, as my limited over the road outings showed me.  Never had to wait; at Krung Thep, Kanchanaburi,  Prachuap Khiri Khan or Chumphon provinces.

Will that change the next 5 yrs, IMHO, not very much, as so many more are and will be popping up.  EV sales don't seem to be keeping pace with CS network.  Chargers @ CS station empty so far and never a wait to use.

Seems to be the consensus with other actually EV Owners here in TH.

My MG ZS ICE took E85 which I had a hard time finding, especially at Krung Thep, as usually only at newest, largest PTT Park station vs  CSs are now almost everywhere.

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

TH  CS network is not limited at all.

Ok if you say so.  I have seen only a smattering of charge stations.  With that said, I am sure the infrastructure in the UK is far superior to that in Thailand.  However, unlike putting petrol in your car which is done in minutes, charging takes a long time.  So during periods of peak travel, the charging stations just like in the UK will back up.  

10 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Ok if you say so.  I have seen only a smattering of charge stations.  With that said, I am sure the infrastructure in the UK is far superior to that in Thailand.  However, unlike putting petrol in your car which is done in minutes, charging takes a long time.  So during periods of peak travel, the charging stations just like in the UK will back up.  

If you says so  ... my actual experience is completely different than your inexperienced opinion.

shh ...  these are all secret places ...

... don't tell anyone ????

https://aseannow.com/topic/1279914-ev-charging-stations-cs/#comment-17797581

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Not a problem yet.  The only time I have seen another car at a charging station is when it's free to charge up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tesla has been advertising for locations to build Super Chargers in Thailand and people have started to post about new locations

89C18828-D8E7-43BB-BB1C-D1A457BE56FF.thumb.jpeg.d48f8f61a90a5387318db2eef30a7298.jpeg

Unfortunately Tesla has removed the “coming soon”  Super Chargers from their map so we will have to wait until they are finished and operational to see the locations.

F9DE7B8E-2A4B-421B-87A5-82F1693994BA.thumb.jpeg.4de0c906a5432ca876d210fd20e94a9c.jpeg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I just completed a 1,000 km journey from CM to Isaan so I guess I’m qualified to comment on this route to some extent. A mixed bag of good and bad. This is my first extended journey. I had previously just charged at home.

Left the house just before 10 am with a full charge (approx range of 170 km. I have the Haval H6 PHEV). First stop, PEA Volta at Bangchak station Lampang. 2 outlets, both being used when I arrived. Fortunately, one guy was just finishing up so I waited just a few minutes. Car charged like a dream, I hardly had time for the dogs to do their stuff and for me to finish brunch. While I was charging, a MG EP turned up but he was able to slow charge on AC while waiting for a free outlet.

Next stop, Uttaradit. PEA app shows a PTT EV station. However the PTT app does not show this station. I chanced it but the station is not yet operational. Worse, the station was on the opposite side of the road and U-turning was a challenge to say the least (with the traffic coming from the South). Also, quite a few U-turns were closed off to alleviate through traffic so every detour was much longer. Along the way there, I turned into a couple of PTT stations that had an EV Station sign but they were also not yet operational. The gas stations however were an absolute nightmare. Nowhere to park, could hardly turn in and out of the stations. Note to self: avoid future travel during holiday season.

As I had petrol as a backup mode of propulsion, I continued onto Phisanulok and PEA station. Once again, both outlets occupied. I waited about 30 minutes for my turn. However, this outlet, even though rated at 50kW, was only able to push 11 kW to my vehicle whereas the previous station pushed out 47 kW. Same story at another PEA in Khon Kaen (11 kW). Prior to that, I went to the actual PEA office in Lomsak. Both outlets utilised. One car was at 34%, the other at 70+ but they were going charge to 90%. Charging etiquette not up to par, just like with normal driving.

At PTT Khon Kaen, only one outlet but was booked for the full 50 minutes. This booking policy is a debate for another day.

By now, I thought my car had developed a problem as the last 2 charging sessions were at 11 kW. Even though it was midnight by now, my partner kindly suggested trying at a PTT instead of PEA. So onwards to PTT Maha Sarakham and hallelujah. After fiddling with the senseless PTT app which requires your car number plate and doesn’t tell you to click the default button, I started charging again at 47 kW. Knowing that my car wasn’t broken made my day in spite of the ups and downs.

My takeaways. Avoid travelling on festive public holidays. If you must, take your fossil vehicle or a PHEV. A full EV will be quite the challenge. For petrol powered vehicles, fill up at any station other than PTT. Where possible, turn off the hwy and fill up at smaller stations. This will save you time and stress. 

Sorry for the long post (it could have been longer) and thanks for reading. I now have to plan my return trip properly.

Thanks for the report @Gweiloman , was wondering if you had taken charge of the H6 PHEV yet ( hopefully you can update us with a report on the car at a later date ).

I’ll leave comments on your woes to the more learned posters.

• Like 2