How I do the Hand-drawn-map-form for VISA extension application

Greetings. While I was going thru some of the older forums, I notice someone having some issue with the hand drawn map, thought I could share my experience and how I do it. My method is to attached the computer drawn map (which I did myself) on the blank form, printed it in B&W, and filled in the address above by hand. I have been doing this for both marriage and covid-19 extension applications, so far so good.

Maybe someone could share a better and easier method than mine.

Cheers.

VISA_MAP.jpg

• Like 1

Not all offices want the map drawn of a form they give you.

I have been using a copy of the same map on a blank page for several years now that an officer helped my wife do and he gave me a copy to use again.

Many offices will accept a Google map.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have been using a copy of the same map on a blank page for several years now that an officer helped my wife do and he gave me a copy to use again.

I've never given Phuket Immigration a map with my extension documents. Last year they didn't even want the picture of me standing in front of my house with the house number displayed.

This year (two days ago) I gave them the same picture and they kept it.  And this year it was the quickest extension ever - they're certainly well organised in Phuket.

I did a great map , using google maps, it was destroyed and I was asked to do it myself with a pen and ruler ! It had to be lliterally drawn by me in their office.

As always, offices will vary, find out what yours wants, oh, and make sure its the same person on the day, as others might hzve a different idea.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Jerno said:

.  Do other countries ask their expats for such stupid things?

To be fair many countries don't even have options such as annual extensions based on retirement etc.

Even some Asean countries such as Vietnam..

I use the map on back of flyer that my condominium has. That's a CW where supposedly it's required to be hand drawn.

Not a big deal. 

Ext stay/ret CW

Since the first time I encountered this "requirement", which was requested in the office in front of the IO several years ago, I now simply prepare both a hand-drawn map, and a Google map version. Both accepted and added to my bundle in the subsequent years. It gets included in the "residence" sub-bundle (lease, landlords ID/Blue Book, TM.30 proof, photo in front of building, 90-day report).

My hand-drawn map is very rudimentary, takes less than 3 minutes to generate. "X" marks the spot.

Creating a new form, as the OP suggests - repeating information already provided a dozen times in other supporting paperwork incl, the TM.7 - seems like overkill, but if it works for some go for it.

Udon Thani & Hua Hin simple accept Gmap.  I'm 100 kms away from HH so I simply do directions from house to Dan Singkhon office, 15 kms away.  I think the first one I did was from HH office, 2 sided, one HH to PKK, and flip side had short distance from main hwy 4 to house, for detail.

Didn't even know that had  form.

Reason is easy, as they visit occasionally, and I does make it easier than an address, as many live rural.  Without a map, you would not have easily found my homes, especially our next home build.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Udon Thani & Hua Hin simple accept Gmap.  I'm 100 kms away from HH so I simply do directions from house to Dan Singkhon office, 15 kms away.  I think the first one I did was from HH office, 2 sided, one HH to PKK, and flip side had short distance from main hwy 4 to house, for detail.

A map is only needed from the nearest main road or intersection to your house.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A map is only needed from the nearest main road or intersection to your house.

I always take more than I think they should need, JIC.  Better they hand it back to me, than me making a 2nd trip.  Inconsistency is the only consistent here.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

That's a CW where supposedly it's required to be hand drawn.

Have not used hand drawn for a decade at CW - Google maps always accepted these days in my experience.   But then perhaps they just believe this old fogie would not be able to draw.

2 hours ago, Jerno said:

Draw a map by hand on the spot. Are we 6 yests old?  Why are there these retarded requirements in Thailand.  Do other countries ask their expats for such stupid things?  Sheesh!

Just part of Thailand making things as difficult as possible. The whole point - the whole point - of having an address is to enable anyone to find you with ease. In Thailand addresses are all but meaningless as there is no logic to them (big surprise that, hmm) as they are based on land plots. So, for anyone to find you, be it immigration or furniture delivery etc, they need a map drawn. Some 10 or 15 years ago I remember there was a brief mention of a plan to regularise the Thai address system, but of course nothing happened.

I believe that Japan also has a similarly difficult system, so not just a Thai thing.

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Some 10 or 15 years ago I remember there was a brief mention of a plan to regularise the Thai address system, but of course nothing happened.

Actually homes here in Bangkok were renumbered in logical order - but PO (and suspect others) were not keen on learning new system so most of us are forced to use both numbers and have both on gate and providing landmark as reference to those calling.

The solution in today's world would be to adopt Google Maps location - exact location using about six letters; with photos in most cases.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pathum Thani Imm do not accept Google map, so I've been using the same hand drawn map for years.

Just submit a photocopy# of it each year. (#actually done on my printer which copies and prints perfectly in all colours )

Btw, they visit EVERY year in the shiny BMW and know exactly where our house is located. 

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually homes here in Bangkok were renumbered in logical order - but PO (and suspect others) were not keen on learning new system so most of us are forced to use both numbers and have both on gate and providing landmark as reference to those calling.

The solution in today's world would be to adopt Google Maps location - exact location using about six letters; with photos in most cases.  

A better solution would be for all to use:

https://what3words.com/

Three unrelated words pinpoint your position exactly, anywhere in the world.

e.g.  Try -    talked.pegged.milky  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Many offices will not accept a Google map.

I had onr refused and my Wife had to draw one.

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have been doing exactly the same as that in Udon, the map was actually drawn by an IO or SWMBO, annotated in Thai, again either by SWMBO or one of the IOs. I just scanned it and printed 2 copies, signed them to certify them.