Bangkok governor candidate Sakoltee seeks to collect city tax from foreign tourists

webfact

Only a matter of time before they come up with the idea for foriengers to pay thai income vat for the thais. Maybe be like you have to submit documents proving how much you make and the more you make the more you have to pay to cover thai income vat. 

• Like 1

I think that this “ canditate” wants to follow the European  rules. There is VAT and City tax , which is an occupancy tax. Not the same at all. Of course, up to now the government hasn’t brought this subject up.  With booking agencies, VAT a is often included in the rates, whereas the city tax is always added on separately on your bill. It’s usually a small amount. Just booked Rome, and it’s 6€ plus on top of price a night.

5 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Keep on upping the prices without any modern infrastructure and you'll soon find yourselves priced out of the market you operate in. 

The sky train and subway are not modern.

• Confused 2

When we travel to other countries, we will have to pay city tax when staying at a hotel,” Sakoltee said. “I am considering implementing that in Bangkok.”

He seems to be totally unaware that in virtually all of those cities (there could be exceptions that I'm not aware of), the hotel tax applies to everyone who stays in a hotel, including citizens of those countries and residents of those cities.

“Besides having to pay a landing fee to the Department of Airports, those tourists pay nothing when they enter Bangkok,” Sakoltee said. 

...other than 7% tax on everything they use or consume, plus excise tax and customs duties on most imported products.

“If elected, I will be the first governor to generate revenue for Bangkok in this way,” Sakoltee added. “No one has thought of this.”

Do provincial and municipal authorities in Thailand even have the legal authority to levy their own taxes? I've never heard of any local tax here - everything is national.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

You know exactly how it would work.  These things are foreigner taxes not tourist taxes.  And, of course, Thais far wealthier than most foreigners would not have to pay...

My point exactly! 

My question was rhetorical!????

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Do provincial and municipal authorities in Thailand even have the legal authority to levy their own taxes? I've never heard of any local tax here - everything is national.

They can charge what they want!

Go to different "National Parks" in the same Province and see the differences in prices and ID requirements!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, moe666 said:

The sky train and subway are not modern.

What is your definition of  modern in relation to the BKK transport system?

There are parts that are under construction and not yet open! 

• Like 1

Keep up the good work, you're funneling millions of dollars into the capital's coffers as there are millions of tourists here already. 
With such taxes, even more people will be coming as they all want to offload even more money. The boys down at the Tourism Authority of Thailand are getting competition; after a "landing tax" there is now this discussion over a "city tax". 

It's written in the bible "Lord, forgive 'em for they don't know what they are doing". Or is it possibly a populistic election fart - again? It worked higher up with Yingluck - until she got unseated - so why not try the same stint again on a lower level ???? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mavideol said:

hey dixx head, everybody pays taxes regardless if tourists or not and that includes local citizens

Except for hotels and restaurants, foreign tourists who leave the country within 60 days can claim a VAT refund, subject to maximum refund amounts and minimum payment for purchases and services.

Thai citizens and expat residents cannot claim VAT refunds.

A foreign tourist city tax might effectively neutralize any qualified VAT refund.

Dumb for folks to say this place does not seek or have modern infrastructure. Probably have never been here.

They have been expanding the BTS for years and continue to do so. MRT the same.  You cannot change Sukhumvit road so just avoid it.

The infrastructure in a major city like Bangkok is better them many western cities places like Los Angeles are a joke.

Edited by bkk6060

Departure tax 700 Bht

Arrival tax       300  Bht

Hotel tax (HA)   50  Bht (bum in a bed

But yes, none goes to any Cities directly. All goes to central coffers

Maybe he should be talking to them,,,,, Oh, he wants to be them,, sorry

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Keep on upping the prices without any modern infrastructure and you'll soon find yourselves priced out of the market you operate in. 

They are already priced way out of the market they operate in. There are many, many places nicer and just as beautiful that are either the same price to much cheaper to visit and enjoy. Thailands natural beauty has been nearly completely destroyed, so I am not sure what there is to see anymore.

• Like 2