Rich driver who deliberately blocked ambulance carrying patient gets fined a paltry 500 baht!

webfact

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The rich and entitled BMW driver who played an extraordinary cat and mouse game with a desperate ambulance driver trying to pass with a sick patient in the back has been fined by the Muang Phuket police.

ASEAN NOW suggested last week when the story hit the internet via a dashcam video posted by Kusontham Phuket Rescue chief Anit Jenphop that 500 baht was all the police could fine the driver.

And so it proved under Article 76, "blocking traffic".

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Yet the video showed clearly that the BMW 320i driver had deliberately braked as they refused to get out of the way of the ambulance with its siren blaring and Anit pleading over the loudspeaker.

Some netizens thought this might constitute dangerous driving.

The driver was named only as "A" and said they were prepared to pay the fine, reported Daily News.

500 baht is little more than $15.

A BMW Series 3 sedan costs between 2.5M and 3.3 million baht in Thailand. That's up to $100,000. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 9

21 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

I think the patient should be able to sue this creature at least for reckless endangerment, if there is something like that in Thailand.

No shortage of reckless endangerment, but little one can do about it.

In "my" country, police will act and bring in code 5.

Meaning you instantly loose your drivers licence and cant drive any further.

If you do so, then it becomes a crime and you are really in trouble.

Also if you get away and there is dashboard evidence, they will come and get you. 

You will have to go to court and be judged. Mostly those fines are  a 1000 euro or higher.

You MUST follow a special course, so you have to take days off from work.

You MUST pay for the course and they are high in costs, over 1000 euro's.

Then, depending on what judge ruled, you can do exam again for new licence.

Of course after the time, you were not allowed to drive anymore according to judge ruling.

If you do, then again you are in trouble and have to go to court and be judged as a criminal.

If you do this, like in this case an ambulance, the punishment will be more bigger.

If you do this and an accident happens, well then you have way more trouble.

No, it never happened to me, im not like that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Well this paltry "fine" certainly won't deter others from doing the same. The police once again showing they don't have to balls to punish someone for their crimes. 

It's not a question of the police not having the balls. As clearly pointed out in the article it's a case of them being constrained by the law from any stronger action.

The law needs to be changed.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Well this paltry "fine" certainly won't deter others from doing the same. The police once again showing they don't have to balls to punish someone for their crimes. 

You and countless others are pointing the finger in the wrong direction. It has nothing at all to do with the police. It has everything to do with the lawmakers who set the level of fine that can be imposed. The police do not make the laws.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Other charges could have been brought, dangerous/reckless driving/driving without due care and attention, putting others at  risk and given a court appearance.

That sounds like an awful lot of work.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

I think the patient should be able to sue this creature at least for reckless endangerment, if there is something like that in Thailand.

If I remember correctly (and I am sure I will be corrected if not!!!) the patient died. In my view a manslaughter charge is appropriate, " if there is something like that in Thailand."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

the video showed clearly that the BMW 320i driver had deliberately braked as they refused to get out of the way of the ambulance with its siren blaring

What if had behaved this way in front of any Royal or Minister cavalcade? Would courts have done the same?

I think we all know the answer.