British martial arts champion fighting for his life after motorbike crash in Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

Expats and tourists from one country seems to be over represented due to my knowledge reading the news. 

I know he doesnt get insurance for his sport if not connected trough a English federation and insurance company, and thought maybe that is his only risk by living in Thailand. 

<deleted> happens 

There is no way I could live in Thailand without insurance, or going holiday without one. 

Yeah, hospital bills can become outrageously expensive very quickly! Not worth taking the risk!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, you are right there. Can also be hard to find an insurance that actually covers motorcycle driving in Thailand at all.

First class insurance on any motorcycle covers accidents, as does accident insurance. As does many travel insurance policies if someone has a valid licence. Equally, if the accident was the other driver's fault, then the should be paying out as should their insurance

9 hours ago, spermwhale said:

Health insurance covers all injuries and illness regardless of cause. So it's not hard at all to find insurance that covers medical expenses after a motorcycle accident. The first step is buying the insurance

Strange comment - it depend=s entirely on what insurance you have. ...and that depends on what you pay for.

Holiday insurance often specifically excludes RTA injuries or motorcycles.

Thai motorcycle compulsory insurance covers "immediate" emergency healthcare but that's about it.

Depending on your job, you may have national healthcare or pay and the amount you get is normally limited by total costs....not unlimited "total" cover.

I think again a lot of expats - especially Brits" have no real idea of what health cover involves.

"if the accident was the other driver's fault, then the should be paying out as should their insurance"

The last thing you want to do is get into apportioning blame as this may mean if you are relying on someone else's insurance the company may not pay or delay payment - this will affect the kind of treatment you get in the hospital - or even which hospital will take you.

Edited by Thunglom

1 hour ago, justaphase said:

Another one that's going to get much more than necessary from gofundme then spend it in the bars on the rest  his 'training' holiday.

My insurance was £200 a year. He looks loaded.

Care to back that up with evidence that shows this man will act in n such a manner. 

1 hour ago, justaphase said:

Another one that's going to get much more than necessary from gofundme then spend it in the bars on the rest  his 'training' holiday.

My insurance was £200 a year. He looks loaded.

My latest World Nomads travel explorer insurance cost me 1 712,- euro for 12 months, and cover some extreme sports but not professional like taking part in competitions and so on. Cover motorbike riding if legal license, public roads, etc etc

Just normal tourist visa is 1 216 euro excluded the adventure activities. Driving in Thailand is not an adventure activity so covered in the basic premium policy

Thai boxing or martial arts is excluded if professional.

For the moment World Nomads is temporary excluded europeens. 

Edited by Hummin

12 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, you are right there. Can also be hard to find an insurance that actually covers motorcycle driving in Thailand at all.

UK travel insurance policies are pretty much all limited to 125cc maximum engine size. Must have a UK bike licence and must be wearing a helmet. 

Edited by soi3eddie

4 hours ago, roath said:

First class insurance on any motorcycle covers accidents, as does accident insurance. As does many travel insurance policies if someone has a valid licence. Equally, if the accident was the other driver's fault, then the should be paying out as should their insurance

The drivers fault??? To me it looks like we have two drivers here???

5 minutes ago, david_dyer said:

ok, fair call and i stand corrected.....but you have insurance??

Yes but not full coverage, when they get older like with cars or motorcycles you can't get full cover insurance anymore . Also when you get over 70 insurance may cost more than your pension. It's just life and we must accept it.

On 5/3/2022 at 5:49 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Nearly 10 years in Thailand, and I've always let the wife do the driving. She's been happy to. First on a motorcycle, now in our car. As a female they drive more cautiously than us blokes would, and as a Thai they're a lot more familiar with how their countrymen move around on the road, their sudden lane changes or pulling out from being stopped, that I wouldn't have caught. I remember a thread on here once about how "unmanly" it was to be seen riding pillion with a chick at the helm, heh well, I'm more a fan of staying in one piece.

My wife and Niece were run over by a hit and run driver in a Toyota pickup while riding a motorbike. They were on a downtown city street and were not traveling at a high rate of speed, nor were they in the middle of the roadway. (until they were left there by the pickup). In spite of it being a busy street nobody got a license plate number.  Having your wife drive is no guarantee. I am thankful that neither my wife nor niece died.

On 5/3/2022 at 12:45 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

That is only partly true.

In Thailand is little to no enforcement of many (traffic) rules. When people drive bad in other countries they often have to pay a lot of money. They don't want to pay a lot of money so they learn and drive more according to the rules.

In Thailand people break the rules. And they learn there are no consequences. And then they break the rules more often etc.

Completely agree - just about all of Thailand's road safety issues are down to a lack of proper enforcement - by that I mean a proper punishment that doesn't end up a a brown back pocket. Even the U turns would work if people behaved.

In the case of insurance however - Thailand is certainly to blame.  I know many people are poor but being able to drive when you only have 50k baht of cover in case you mame someone is ridiculous.  I was involved in an accident in 2011 where ultimately a taxi driver was to blame.  He only had 3rd class insurance which I presume was OK as the police were involved and he was not prosecuted.  I had substantial injuries that required 6 weeks off work. My total claim was 1.3 million, I received 100k - the maximum the taxi's cover would provide.

In most other countries drivers are required to have adequate cover and taxis etc. are required to have enhanced cover.

If pressed I'm sure the Thai authorities would say that people are poor, they cannot force them to get 'real' insurance - oh, that's OK then - drive around killing and maming people, its OK because you're poor.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Completely agree - just about all of Thailand's road safety issues are down to a lack of proper enforcement - by that I mean a proper punishment that doesn't end up a a brown back pocket. Even the U turns would work if people behaved.

In the case of insurance however - Thailand is certainly to blame.  I know many people are poor but being able to drive when you only have 50k baht of cover in case you mame someone is ridiculous.  I was involved in an accident in 2011 where ultimately a taxi driver was to blame.  He only had 3rd class insurance which I presume was OK as the police were involved and he was not prosecuted.  I had substantial injuries that required 6 weeks off work. My total claim was 1.3 million, I received 100k - the maximum the taxi's cover would provide.

In most other countries drivers are required to have adequate cover and taxis etc. are required to have enhanced cover.

If pressed I'm sure the Thai authorities would say that people are poor, they cannot force them to get 'real' insurance - oh, that's OK then - drive around killing and maming people, its OK because you're poor.

I understand both sides.

I grew up in a country with expensive insurance which paid. If I crashed my little bike in a Ferrari they would pay for the repair of that Ferrari. And I paid for that good insurance.

In Thailand the logic seems to be: If I crash my bike into your Ferrari and there is damage for a million or more it is your fault that you put that super expensive thing on the street. You can't expect that people pay for the repair of your luxury car.

I think both ways of thinking make sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I understand both sides.

I grew up in a country with expensive insurance which paid. If I crashed my little bike in a Ferrari they would pay for the repair of that Ferrari. And I paid for that good insurance.

In Thailand the logic seems to be: If I crash my bike into your Ferrari and there is damage for a million or more it is your fault that you put that super expensive thing on the street. You can't expect that people pay for the repair of your luxury car.

I think both ways of thinking make sense.

Can't agree with that, repairs to cars are not the most pressing problem - its when it comes to hospital treatment that the inadequacies come to light. If you're lucky you will get hit by someone who has private insurance but even then, most Thai policies that I've seen fall far short of the cost of all but relatively minor injuries.  Its very easy for hospital costs to get in to the millions when someone's badly injured.

The compulsory insurance will barely cover a broken leg and I'd take a guess that the majority of the Thai population have nothing more than compulsory cover.

I think the lack of information is left out when a go fund me is set up. Wouldn't want the people contributing know he had no insurance, helmet, drunk, no job or money and no license. But other than that he is a supper great guy . Family needs to start selling off all they have for this good guy. Hope he recovers and makes it back home to find work for the rest of his life. 

• Like 2

On 5/3/2022 at 6:02 PM, Hummin said:

My latest World Nomads travel explorer insurance cost me 1 712,- euro for 12 months, and cover some extreme sports but not professional like taking part in competitions and so on. Cover motorbike riding if legal license, public roads, etc etc

Just normal tourist visa is 1 216 euro excluded the adventure activities. Driving in Thailand is not an adventure activity so covered in the basic premium policy

Thai boxing or martial arts is excluded if professional.

For the moment World Nomads is temporary excluded europeens. 

And riding a motorbike without a licence would make any insurance invalid.  It was also songraan, had he been drinking before ?

• Like 1

It’s not just the insurance to worry about. The other driver will likely lie about how the accident happened, possibly hide the motorcycle drivers helmet too..

Farang tested for drink and drugs, Thai not tested 

Edited by cyril sneer

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

After having accident insurance that refused to pay, I no longer buy insurance.

It is difficult to know what is best.... it is not only accident insurance that may not pay. And even, as we see here, often you have to find the money yourself (or do what, not undergo treatment?) While the insurance company looks for  excuses not to cover you. This guy seems to be recovering.....good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

After having accident insurance that refused to pay, I no longer buy insurance.

Did you read and understand the fine-print? 

I understand that insurance contracts can be headache. But often the problem is that people who buy the insurance imagine it is something different than it actually is. And many people don't read the fine-print when they sign it. They only find out later that they should have read it...

• Like 1