New German Buffet in town!

FolkGuitar

Folk Guitar I find your last 2 sentences interesting, having heard variations on the theme before.

The adherents of the organisation you mention tend to deny it however.

(some others say the statues were just renamed). 

Any source you can mention or recommend.? 

Edited by rott

45 minutes ago, rott said:

Folk Guitar I find your last 2 sentences interesting, having heard variations on the theme before.

The adherents of the organisation you mention tend to deny it however.

(some others say the statues were just renamed). 

Any source you can mention or recommend.? 

Studies of Ley Lines and Stone Circles revels a great deal of this sort of expansion practice, especially in the U.K... IF it is to be believed!

2 hours ago, jimmym40 said:

Auf Der Au buffett is still operating in it's original location of many years back down in Sarapi.    They closed in town just before songkla and is now open in Sarapi 7 days a week, for lunch and dinner buffett.    It's located on the Chiang Mai/Lumphoon road south of the 121 and the next highway south of 121.

Here's the guys phone number if you want to call for direct location.   Or look on google, it should be there.

093 434 0844

Enjoy

We've been there several times and always enjoy the meal. But it's a much further distance for us, not so easily reached. We ate in the downtown restaurant at least every other week because it was so convenient.  We will continue to do so because the new owner is providing good taste and good value in a nicely set up restaurant.

• Like 1

@FolkGuitar is absolutely right.
I know both restaurants, the new one and the somewhat aging one in Saraphi.

The new German buffet is much better than before in the aue. Especially the taste of the food is much better now. And the taste is, at least for me, the most important thing when I visit a restaurant. The change of the chef is a big step forward.

I can only recommend the new German Buffet.
It is located in the city center, so i don't have to drive 25 kilometers outside CM. Convenient parking in Loy Kroh is another big advantage there.

Try it and you will be pleasantly surprised.

4 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Studies of Ley Lines and Stone Circles revels a great deal of this sort of expansion practice, especially in the U.K... IF it is to be believed!

Ley lines..555.. If what you said was true Stonehenge would be a  Catholic Cathedral! LOL.  You appear to know nothing  of history but picked up a few ideas on a mushroom trip. The druids and 'pagans' were suppressed by the Romans and their  gods  before  the 'Catholic' Church was established.

The most infamous example of religious rebuilding is the Mosque built on the  Christian temple and Jewish synagogue  in Israel where even now Jews and Christians  are forbidden  to pray.

The Temple Mount, known to Muslims as al-Haram al-Sharif and the Al-Aqsa Compound, is a hill in the Old City of Jerusalem that for thousands of years has been venerated as a holy site in Judaism and Christianity but now is a Mosque.

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Ley lines..555.. If what you said was true Stonehenge would be a  Catholic Cathedral! LOL.  You appear to know nothing  of history but picked up a few ideas on a mushroom trip. The druids and 'pagans' were suppressed by the Romans and their  gods  before  the 'Catholic' Church was established.

The most infamous example of religious rebuilding is the Mosque built on the  Christian temple and Jewish synagogue  in Israel where even now Jews and Christians  are forbidden  to pray.

The Temple Mount, known to Muslims as al-Haram al-Sharif and the Al-Aqsa Compound, is a hill in the Old City of Jerusalem that for thousands of years has been venerated as a holy site in Judaism and Christianity but now is a Mosque.

It has indeed been done by many religions steamrolling others. But the most wide-spread was done by Christianity, with its tentacles reaching all around the globe. Hundreds of stone circles were destroyed and churches put up in their place. We're fortunate that they never got around to Stonehenge.

You want 'history?' You got it...

The Pantheon in Rome was once a pagan temple dedicated to the Roman gods and it was converted to a Roman Catholic church dedicated to St. Mary and the Martyrs. Eventually the prime sites of the pagan temples were very often occupied for churches, the church of Santa Maria sopra Minerva (literally Saint Mary above Minerva) in Rome, Christianized about 750, being simply the most obvious example.

In Greece, the occupation of pagan sites by Christian monasteries and churches was ubiquitous. Hellenic Aphrodisias in Caria was renamed Stauropolis, the "City of the Cross". Exceptions to this are the conversion of the Askepieion in Athens around 529, and both the Hephaisteion and Athena's temple at the Parthenon, during the seventh century, reflecting possible conflict between Christians and non-Christians.

Sulpicius Severus, in his Vita of Martin of Tours, wrote, "wherever he destroyed heathen temples, there he used immediately to build either churches or monasteries", and when Benedict of Nursia took possession of the site at Monte Cassino, he began by smashing the sculpture of Apollo and the altar that crowned the height. Montmartre (originally Mons Martis, "Mount of Mars", later re-interpreted as Mons martyris, "Mountain of the martyr") was the site of one of the oldest surviving Christian churches in France - Saint Pierre was earlier a mercurii monte - a high place dedicated to Lugus, a major Celtic deity (and one that the Romans viewed as a homology of Mercury).

The Notre-Dame du Taur (Our Lady of the Bull), cathedral church of Toulouse, which is famous for the Encierro festival of running bulls, is thought by archaeologists to be a converted temple of Mithras, whose myth focused on the tauroctony, the killing of a sacred bull.

Several Roman pagan sites in Britain had been converted to Christian use in the 4th Century, such as the Temple of Claudius in Roman Colchester and two of the seven Romano-Celtic Temples in the town, all of which underwent restructuring in the 300s AD and around which have been found early Christian symbols such as the Chi Rho.

Is that enough history for you, or shall I go on. We've lots more countries and churches to list.

The Mexico City Metropolitan Cathedral was built on an Aztec temple...

• Like 2

Something to look forward to if ever I return to CM. And I hope I have the excuse to. Eight wonderful weed and alcohol soaked years! Bar 1 and Udo's featuring heavily, as well as the Blues Bar and Chez Watsitsname. (I was always high as a kite eating there!)✌????????

All on Loi Kroh.

(Technical note: The pink square is because I changed the skin tone on the peace icon by default, and this forums IT platform can't cope!)

Edited by chalawaan

I cannot see the relevance of the analogy that a copy-cat business is like the re-purposing of a religious edifice by another religion.

But, I appreciate your concern for, your loyalty to, your friend.

~o:37;

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, orang37 said:

I cannot see the relevance of the analogy that a copy-cat business is like the re-purposing of a religious edifice by another religion.

It had nothing to do with the religious 'edifice' itself, but the 'location' of it. They were central meeting spots. Down through the ages, those locations were the centers of commerce and society, with people from outlying areas used to traveling to them regularly.  Today we would say 'location, location, location.' People are used to going to that location for German food. And based on the fact that it always seems busy when I pass by these days, I'd say people are still coming to this location for it, regardless of who owns it.

23 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Something to look forward to if ever I return to CM. And I hope I have the excuse to. Eight wonderful weed and alcohol soaked years! Bar 1 and Udo's featuring heavily, as well as the Blues Bar and Chez Watsitsname. (I was always high as a kite eating there!)✌????????

All on Loi Kroh.

(Technical note: The pink square is because I changed the skin tone on the peace icon by default, and this forums IT platform can't cope!)

Chez Marco....

On 5/5/2022 at 10:39 PM, FolkGuitar said:

It has indeed been done by many religions steamrolling others. But the most wide-spread was done by Christianity, with its tentacles reaching all around the globe. Hundreds of stone circles were destroyed and churches put up in their place. We're fortunate that they never got around to Stonehenge.

You want 'history?' You got it...

The Pantheon in Rome was once a pagan temple dedicated to the Roman gods and it was converted to a Roman Catholic church dedicated to St. Mary and the Martyrs. Eventually the prime sites of the pagan temples were very often occupied for churches, the church of Santa Maria sopra Minerva (literally Saint Mary above Minerva) in Rome, Christianized about 750, being simply the most obvious example.

In Greece, the occupation of pagan sites by Christian monasteries and churches was ubiquitous. Hellenic Aphrodisias in Caria was renamed Stauropolis, the "City of the Cross". Exceptions to this are the conversion of the Askepieion in Athens around 529, and both the Hephaisteion and Athena's temple at the Parthenon, during the seventh century, reflecting possible conflict between Christians and non-Christians.

Sulpicius Severus, in his Vita of Martin of Tours, wrote, "wherever he destroyed heathen temples, there he used immediately to build either churches or monasteries", and when Benedict of Nursia took possession of the site at Monte Cassino, he began by smashing the sculpture of Apollo and the altar that crowned the height. Montmartre (originally Mons Martis, "Mount of Mars", later re-interpreted as Mons martyris, "Mountain of the martyr") was the site of one of the oldest surviving Christian churches in France - Saint Pierre was earlier a mercurii monte - a high place dedicated to Lugus, a major Celtic deity (and one that the Romans viewed as a homology of Mercury).

The Notre-Dame du Taur (Our Lady of the Bull), cathedral church of Toulouse, which is famous for the Encierro festival of running bulls, is thought by archaeologists to be a converted temple of Mithras, whose myth focused on the tauroctony, the killing of a sacred bull.

Several Roman pagan sites in Britain had been converted to Christian use in the 4th Century, such as the Temple of Claudius in Roman Colchester and two of the seven Romano-Celtic Temples in the town, all of which underwent restructuring in the 300s AD and around which have been found early Christian symbols such as the Chi Rho.

Is that enough history for you, or shall I go on. We've lots more countries and churches to list.

The Mexico City Metropolitan Cathedral was built on an Aztec temple...

Yes but you omitted Islam and examples such  as the mosque in Grenada. However, its stands to reason  the newest and most expansionist religion, Islam, would be the greatest perpatrator. Turkey, Iran Afghanistan were all "built on' by islam

Afghanistan was a buddist country originally ...and in our life time the Buddhas at Band I Mir were destroyed by ISIS / Taliban BTW : My information is based on education,  travel and personal experience NOT cutting and pasting from wiki pedia.

7 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes but you omitted Islam and examples such  as the mosque in Grenada. However, its stands to reason  the newest and most expansionist religion, Islam, would be the greatest perpatrator. Turkey, Iran Afghanistan were all "built on' by islam

Afghanistan was a buddist country originally ...and in our life time the Buddhas at Band I Mir were destroyed by ISIS / Taliban BTW : My information is based on education,  travel and personal experience NOT cutting and pasting from wiki pedia.

Your correct. It has been done by Islam too.  But the point wasn't that it was done by religions, but that it has been done for many different reasons over history. You're most fortunate that you have experienced it first hand...

Edited by FolkGuitar

On 5/5/2022 at 5:52 PM, SmoothOperator said:

I can only recommend the new German Buffet.
It is located in the city center, so i don't have to drive 25 kilometers outside CM. Convenient parking in Loy Kroh is another big advantage there.

Try it and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Hardly 25KM... only 8KM away from LK Soi 3... 

Edited by Forza2002

On 5/5/2022 at 3:35 PM, elektrified said:

FolkGuitar why advertise and support a copy business who is under-handedly trying to take  Udo's customers? Udo works damn hard to run his business. I often run in to him shopping at Muang Mai market at 1:00 A.M.! He probably hardly ever sleeps he works so hard! Don't support this business.

It is not the first time he had to move his business due to it's success - TIT.

11 hours ago, Forza2002 said:

More to the point,  while it's actually 10.7km from Loi Kraw, soi 3 location to the restaurant in Seraphi based on Google Map directions, it's more than 19km from my house to the Seraphi restaurant, but less than 5km to the Loi Kraw site.

That's 38km round trip. That becomes a more difficult trip for people who do not have cars... and even for those who do, based on the crazy drivers on that stretch of road.

15 hours ago, Forza2002 said:

from the old town where i live it is exactly 12.6 km, with a little Chiang Mai traffic it takes me 30 min one way. The round trip is 25.2 km and would take me 1 hour.

(can someone calculate what that would cost? All expenses of a car... I guess 200-300 Baht)

LoyKro Soi 3 is a nice walk of 5 minutes for me.

But even if the Au would be in my neighborhood i would prefer the new German Buffet in Loy Kro, because it is really so much better.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 2:09 PM, FolkGuitar said:

Very clever move on the part of the Montha Hotel, as people are used to coming to that location for German food,

Clever? A person makes them money, while they copy recipes, menu, logistics, source and supply links, then unceremoniously give them the boot and steals, takes over the business. 

More an age old Thai tradition, likely has its own smile associated with it. Pizza Hut played by Pizza Company. Pepsi had that falling out with their distributer, then that distributor came out with “EST” a pepsi look alike. In Chiang Mai JJ’s had the same thing happen at a hotel restaurant location two decades back. 

Expats seem all so accepting, well, until it happens to them in some way. When it does expect outraged squawking and caterwauling. Until then, they love the convenience.  

I'll bet it pisses off the owners of Auf Der Au

You think?!

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1

Very clever move on the part of the Montha Hotel, as people are used to coming to that location for German food, but I'll bet it pisses off the owners of Auf Der Au

What would you expect from a place next to LK that rents short-time rooms?

38 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

What would you expect from a place next to LK that rents short-time rooms?

I'd expect their rooms to be immaculately clean, well, laid out, and nicely furnished.

After all, the restaurant is.