Car seats: Traders and parents worried about new law - top doc says make sure you buy a good one

webfact

16 hours ago, dallen52 said:

They don't seem to worry about DIU and no licence,  or wearing seat belts,  or phone use when driving. 

Not to mention bike helmets..

Just another law that's in the books but will be overlooked on a massive scale, just like prostitution is illegal here, yet Pattaya has more than it's share of customers from all over the world.

As for child safety seats, maybe parents should put the infant/kids in the back of their pickup truck, no enforcement of safety when it comes to this common sight all over Thailand...

Government wants Police to Enforce ban on people sitting in back of  pick-ups – Inspire Hua Hin e-Magazine Events

13 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

There are no rear seatbelts in 2 door pickups, coz legally there are only 2 seats (driver & passenger), & passengers aren't supposed to be squeezed in the back.

Correct, however, thais still jamm people and kids in that space.

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What do motorbikes motorcysists do ???...   In developed nations they don’t carry infants in their hands, they wear full riding gear, they undergo extensive training, lessons and tests.

You are using ‘motorcyclists' as a comparison in a discussion on infant / child car seats... so, are you implying that because there are motorcyclists children do not need to be protected in cars? or,

because there are pickups without anchor points that those drivers of standard vehicles with anchor points really shouldn’t consider the safety of their children?

Because, If you are implying something so galacbcailly outrageously dumb, idiotic and utterly stupid then you have really outed yourself as a fool. 

Wow, somebody took their nasty pill today. Have a nice day.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Correct, however, thais still jamm people and kids in that space.

I have done too.... I have one of those with 2 doors, but there are small half doors that open 'the other way' and a rear bench seat...... just made that way as a tax advantage. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AndySilverfox said:

....."Retail spokesman Panyaphon said there were supply problems. He helpfully stated that if a family had two kids and needed two seats at 2,000 baht that would be 4,000 baht. "  Yes that was both illmunating and useful to all...thank you...!!

Luckily he brought his calculator with him.

• Like 1

When I was still in the motor trade in the UK (30 Years) the County Council (Essex) gave training courses in fitting child seats. Not all seats fit all vehicle. So those retailers need to be trained to advise the customer on which seat is the best for their vehicle and their children. The Doctor's statement in the article is wrong. The seat manufactures, the retailers and the Technicians fitting the seats can not say that by the fitting of a child sea It would save their child's life. What they can say is by the fitting of a child seats COULD SAVE YOUR CHILD'S LIFE.  After the training course you were entitled to display a sign saying, "Fit Safe, Sit safe" It will be up to the Provençal Governments' to run these course.

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is definitely the ‘oh they don’t like it and cry’ mentality towards car seats... so they just end up not being used. 

I recall my mother in law (Thai) a few years back suggesting that we take our son out of his car seat because he doesn’t like it !!!.....  (he was crying)... I tried to point out that if he’s crying he’s fine !...  

The logic amongst many here is upside-down...  they want to take the child out of the car seat because they don’t like being restrained. Speak to any (most) western parents and they’ll point out how they had to take their child for a drive in the car seat to get them to go to sleep !!!! 

At a given point, when the child is refusing to use the car seat, the question needs to be asked, who is paying the mortgage in this equation? If the baby is paying, let them do whatever they want. If the parent is paying, then it is incumbent upon the parent to behave like one. 

• Haha 1

So those with blacked out windows will have to wind them all down as they approach a traffic stop will they ? ........ and the driver will have to have the child's birth certificate with them of course. I suppose there will be seats required in M/C sidecars in future and a seating arrangement for kids in the back of pickup trucks..... not forgetting proper seating for older kids riding on the roof of the school bus.. Sorry.... forgot.... the police do not operate traffic stops as the kids go to school or when they leave after classes.  

23 hours ago, webfact said:

with many having to install seat belts

If they don't even care about seat belts, what makes the authorities think they are going to be concerned about baby seats?! 

16 hours ago, G Rex said:
16 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

There are no rear seatbelts in 2 door pickups, coz legally there are only 2 seats (driver & passenger), & passengers aren't supposed to be squeezed in the back.

16 hours ago, G Rex said:

I think the poster was referring to 'extra-cab' utes , which do have small seats in the back. I had an extra-cab/super cab Ranger in Australia , with rear cushions - and it did have rear seatbelts. Rear seat belts are not fitted to these vehicles sold in Thailand

Yorkshire tea is correct. 2 door pick ups, even those with half doors are for two people only. There are no seatbelts, no head restraints and no proper seating in the rear.

This is reflected in the price. There is a reduced purchase tax on 2 door pick ups because they are sold as a business vehicle and you will note that that is what the green registration plates mean.

Of course non of that stops a family of seven piling in before it's even left the showroom!

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, jonclark said:

If parents cannot afford a car seat to secure what is arguably their most prized possession from harm in the unfortunate event of an accident; then they need to sell their car. 

Lol

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Transferwise to Oz? 

22 hours ago, b2bme said:

I see countless numbers of these out on the verge for rubbish collection or with a "for free" sign on them in Australia. Nothing wrong with them except no longer required and seems most people here want new items for their new born or infants and not used. You struggle to give stuff away most times just because people want new stuff. Cots, prams/push carts, change tables, baby car seats, booster seats and so on. Guess it is similar in other Western countries. You can literally furnish a house with the stuff that gets thrown out here.

The problem in Oz is they changeed the standards,  so what was acceptable and within the law, is no longer, so people can't sell them, hence they give them away. Most councils have a rental system in place so you don't have to buy expensive capsules for the newborn,  then another as they get bigger (rear facing)and a 3rd (front facing)

2 hours ago, Humpy said:

So those with blacked out windows will have to wind them all down as they approach a traffic stop will they ? ........ and the driver will have to have the child's birth certificate with them of course. I suppose there will be seats required in M/C sidecars in future and a seating arrangement for kids in the back of pickup trucks..... not forgetting proper seating for older kids riding on the roof of the school bus.. Sorry.... forgot.... the police do not operate traffic stops as the kids go to school or when they leave after classes.  

Been all over this country and have never seen kids riding on top of a real school bus, sen them on top of trains, in back of pickups, on top of bags of rice in a truck, but never on top of a 'real' school bus.  Would love to see a picture of that, that way I can say 'I have seen everything.'    Peace

31 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Been all over this country and have never seen kids riding on top of a real school bus, sen them on top of trains, in back of pickups, on top of bags of rice in a truck, but never on top of a 'real' school bus.  Would love to see a picture of that, that way I can say 'I have seen everything.'    Peace

We don't have 'real' school buses around were we live, but plenty of kids here ride on the top of songthaews to and from school.

No money for kiddies seats? Reminds me of the day the mandatory bike helmet was introduced and they moaned over 400 - 600 Baht for a (more than questionable) helmet. Now it is the same song again, no safety belts and no money for either safety belts nor children seats. 

Maybe you should only those drive a car who can afford to pay cash in full while putting up steep fines for breaking the rules. But the helmet law saw a juicy increase of 50 Baht notes changing from drivers to law enforcers until Covid 19. Now they drive around with a mask but still no helmet - go figure! 

On 5/12/2022 at 1:32 PM, paulbrow said:

This law is far too long in coming. No matter the cost of the seat, it certainly is less than the value of your child. What's absolutely a shame about it, is it will be the same as all other traffic laws... there will be NO enforcement!

And let's see how many children will die because their  parents, unable to afford child seats to fit in their pick-up's rear seat thought it be a good idea to circumvent the law by just letting the kids sit in the bed of the truck.

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Yorkshire tea is correct. 2 door pick ups, even those with half doors are for two people only. There are no seatbelts, no head restraints and no proper seating in the rear.

This is reflected in the price. There is a reduced purchase tax on 2 door pick ups because they are sold as a business vehicle and you will note that that is what the green registration plates mean.

Of course non of that stops a family of seven piling in before it's even left the showroom!

You are incorrect here.

We purchased an extra cab Ranger here last year. Came with red plates .   When we picked up vehicle - 4 of us drove away in it.  These extra cab Rangers, D-Maxs & HiLuxes are very popular in rural areas - and I have seen none with 'green plates' .

In the country areas it is accepted as the norm that these cars are not 2 seaters.  Possibly this is a grey area according to the 'law' .  But as there is NO enforcement - the law means nothing. 

23 hours ago, StevieAus said:

A few years ago I saw a place in Chiang Mai selling very good quality used products from Japan including car seats push chairs etc

We bought a very good quality timber “ high chair” for our daughter which is still in use and  has been passed on a couple more times.

Maybe you could send out a container full and I will be your agent here !!!!! 

I've thought about it over the last few years since moving back to Oz but it is wishful thinking. The amount of kids (and adults) bicycles left out for collection or thrown in a council skip blows me away. Even worse now as everyone wants an E-bike so the regular ones are getting thrown out. When I think of how grateful a Thai kid would be to get a free bike.

I shipped a 20ft container from Singapore to Oz some years back and that was 10k SGD and with container prices through the roof at the moment you would have to think hard about how to cover your costs. Then there is Mr Customs in Thailand wanting a slice of the pie. 

With regards to car seats its a step in the right direction but Thailand has a long way to go and they haven't really thought it through (like many of their ideas). Even getting adults to wear seat belts is a challenge. I've upset more than one Thai relative in my time saying we ain't moving until you got you belt on. 

Then you still see the 2-5 years olds standing up on the seat of the scooter between rider and passenger. No safety there.

I think the wife has ideas of a 40ft container when we do return to Thailand and I shudder to think what will be in it, but hopefully we can bring some stuff that will be of help to others.

On 5/12/2022 at 11:40 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Some rather distorted logic there... 

Are seatbelt laws, helmet laws also a regressive virtue-signalling taxes ?

Are car-seat laws a regressive virtue-signalling tax in our home countries or only in Thailand ?

I don't think the problem is with logic, the problem seems to be that you don't understand my use of the words "regressive" and "virtue signaling."  These laws are *regressive* because they impact poor people more than wealthy.  They are *virtue-signaling* because they do not grapple with any substantive governance issue such as police corruption or improving infrastructure or education, no protections against government or corporate intrusions or excess.  Instead, they rather put the entire burden on the citizens to take measures to protect their own children against whom?  Other citizens of course.  You see, it's always the poor people who are to blame.  

Yes, the US seatbelt laws are the same.  Cheers.  

12 hours ago, G Rex said:
16 hours ago, Moonlover said:

12 hours ago, G Rex said:

You are incorrect here.

We purchased an extra cab Ranger here last year. Came with red plates .   When we picked up vehicle - 4 of us drove away in it.  These extra cab Rangers, D-Maxs & HiLuxes are very popular in rural areas - and I have seen none with 'green plates' .

In the country areas it is accepted as the norm that these cars are not 2 seaters.  Possibly this is a grey area according to the 'law' .  But as there is NO enforcement - the law means nothing. 

So what is it that I am wrong about?

You haven't said how many doors your pick up has. (full size doors that is) Neither have you said how many seats it has. (by that I mean fully upholstered seats with head restraints and seat belts. School bench seats don't count)

And most saliently, what colour is the lettering on the registration plate, green or black?

Without these details you have proved nothing.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, b2bme said:

I've thought about it over the last few years since moving back to Oz but it is wishful thinking. The amount of kids (and adults) bicycles left out for collection or thrown in a council skip blows me away. Even worse now as everyone wants an E-bike so the regular ones are getting thrown out. When I think of how grateful a Thai kid would be to get a free bike.

I shipped a 20ft container from Singapore to Oz some years back and that was 10k SGD and with container prices through the roof at the moment you would have to think hard about how to cover your costs. Then there is Mr Customs in Thailand wanting a slice of the pie. 

With regards to car seats its a step in the right direction but Thailand has a long way to go and they haven't really thought it through (like many of their ideas). Even getting adults to wear seat belts is a challenge. I've upset more than one Thai relative in my time saying we ain't moving until you got you belt on. 

Then you still see the 2-5 years olds standing up on the seat of the scooter between rider and passenger. No safety there.

I think the wife has ideas of a 40ft container when we do return to Thailand and I shudder to think what will be in it, but hopefully we can bring some stuff that will be of help to others.

We brought a container over 11 years ago when we moved here couldn’t believe the cost so low now though like you say expensive.

Re the car seats we have a European brand in each car and our daughter can now buckle her self in.

A few years ago we visited some friends in the UK and brought their used one back for my wife’s brothers child.

I still see him standing up in the front car  seat.

His parents are supposed to be educated people the excuse being “ he doesn’t like to sit in it”

I give up !!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I still see him standing up in the front car  seat.

His parents are supposed to be educated people the excuse being “ he doesn’t like to sit in it”

I give up !!!!

With the standard of driving around here surely it is only a matter of time before he ends up with a bloodied nose or worse.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

With the standard of driving around here surely it is only a matter of time before he ends up with a bloodied nose or worse.....

Even though his father is my

brother -in -law I sometimes think he should have the bloodied nose for his stupidity.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Even though his father is my

brother -in -law I sometimes think he should have the bloodied nose for his stupidity.

Don’t give up….  Push…  it’s your (extended) family…  

I want to give up too, with Thai friends & kids in cars, with in laws & seat belts…  and every now & then I read a thread like this and I take my own advice… push. 
Next time I see my Thai friends with kids running about a car I’ll ask W.TF…  I care, so they should. 
In laws are a tough nut to crack…  they go in my car, seat belts are not an issue… in their car, never ! 

• Like 1