Good news for foreigners wanting to reside in Thailand

15 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

As the Tagline says "Wealthy ... category". If you don't have the money then the "Wealthy/Retired category" LTR visa is not for you. 

Actually I do qualify for this visa.  My monthly income is in excess of 80,000 Baht and my current health insurance has maximum coverage of 3.5 Million Baht.  My main issue is the Visa Application fee of 50,000 Baht(approximately $1400 USD).  But the actual visa qualification requirements are still unclear.  Initially there was a requirement to have money sit in a Thai Bank.  This is something I would not do.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

try getting a "Residents Visa" for your partner into Australia and not a "Tourist Visa". There is a big difference between "Tourist Visa" and "Resident Visa" in every country. This thread is about "Residency" not visiting "Tourists"

For my woman,

Would point out you only have to do it once, then claim citizenship 5 years later, including access to free health care, welfare and a state pension.

Not do it every year of your life.

It's actually much cheaper and easier than me staying in Thailand (over a 5 year period), but the downside being I'd have to live in England for 5 years with her, so no benefit to me.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sato said:

The right of married couples of living together is a human right declared in the human rights convention.

I don't know if that's true or not, it would certainly be difficult to see how that could be enforced, but the good news is that married couples can quite happily live together in Thailand and there are visas available specifically for that purpose.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

try getting a "Residents Visa" for your partner into Australia and not a "Tourist Visa". There is a big difference between "Tourist Visa" and "Resident Visa" in every country. This thread is about "Residency" not visiting "Tourists"

They might call this visa "residence visa", but it's still only a temporary visa, not actual residency. You can expect that 90 day reports, TM30 etc. are still required, just the same as other temporary visitors have to do, for example tourists. The only difference is that people who get the new visa are allowed to stay for a longer period of time, still temporary though.

Only somebody who has "permanent residence" status or is a Thai citizen is actually considered a resident of Thailand.

This is only a small part of the retirement visa they are talking about, this has been in the pipeline for years and every 6 months or so  yet another little change is proposed, the fact is nothing is final yet, and they forgot to mention that not only to you need to meet the monthly/yearly pension, you also need to hold property or 250 000 in thai stocks, no mention how much your property has to be worth , the medical insurance has not been worked out, can you you a foreign policy and will it meet the wording of the visa or will you end up having to use a thai policy, the only thing that seemed any use was the proposal that you would not need to do 90 day reports, i doubt this visa will ever see the light of day, expect another revision in 6 months, and to cap it all it is only for 10 years. who in their right mind would invest in a property that you visa is only 10 years in length, and based on previous form ie 0-A visa what will they change during those 10 years?

Edited by howerde
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JayClay said:

it would certainly be difficult to see how that could be enforced

It is very easy to inforce and daily businness (many court cases because of family reunifications of refugees as this human right is for the whole family not only married couples).

You can sue in court and in European countries you can even go till the European Court for Human Rights

17 minutes ago, JayClay said:

can quite happily live together in Thailand and there are visas available specifically for that purpose

Visa is not resident and when you cannot fulfil the financial requirements you do not get permission to stay which is a break of the human right law.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sato said:

Adumbration wrote about getting residence permit in countries when you are 'married' to a citizen of this country.

In all civilized countries the foreign spouse will get resident permit in this case as it is a human right for married couples to live together.

I know how it works and what it cost because I have been through it with my Thai wife to become a "RESIDENT" of Australia and her residency can be rejected by the Australian Immigration at any time during the application process and even after the application is approved it is only a temporary visa for 2 years at which anytime there is a breach of the visa conditions then the visa is cancelled and the spouse must leave the country

Edited by Russell17au

51 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think they'd quickly surrender (and proudly announce 'peace in our time').

The Thai army is to protect the Thai government from it's own citizens, not foreign invaders.

Yup. They would give the country away in the blink of an eye as has previously occured.

But do not touch the institution (probably overseas anyway.)

55 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Actually I do qualify for this visa.  My monthly income is in excess of 80,000 Baht and my current health insurance has maximum coverage of 3.5 Million Baht.  My main issue is the Visa Application fee of 50,000 Baht(approximately $1400 USD).  But the actual visa qualification requirements are still unclear.  Initially there was a requirement to have money sit in a Thai Bank.  This is something I would not do.  

The qualification was 80,000 USD/Year. This is 200,000 THB/Month not 80,000 THB/Month!

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Here's the not so fine print, from another news-blip.   Why would anyone who fits these, even consider living in Thailand:

image.png.dd3b23cf4da328327f414c50a9becd7a.png

KhunLA, is that the correct translation for requirements for highly-skilled workers? "$80,000 earned in the past 2 years OR have a Master's degree and relevant work experience etc" ?

IE - Does someone with a relevant Master's degree need to prove $80,000 earned over the past 2 years?  Hmm, maybe my MSc in space technology might be useful in Thailand after all ????

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I know how it works and what it cost because I have been through it with my Thai wife to become a "RESIDENT" of Australia and her residency can be rejected by the Australian Immigration at any time during the application process and even after the application is approved it is only a temporary visa for 2 years at which anytime there is a breach of the visa conditions then the visa is cancelled and the spouse must leave the country

Terrible how uncivilized countries treat migrant people.

I heard rumors about inhuman migration laws in australia. Refugees should even be locked up in camps on remote islands, is that right?

I did years ago the same (getting residence) for my thai wife in my home country.

Took me 5 minutes at the local community (immagration was not even involved).

She got immediately permanent residence valid for 5 years at zero costs (including work permit), she would be able to buy land and house on her name and became after 5 years citizen.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Sato said:

Terrible how uncivilized countries treat migrant people.

I heard rumors about inhuman migration laws in australia. Refugees should even be locked up in camps on remote islands, is that right?

I did years ago the same (getting residence) for my thai wife in my home country.

Took me 5 minutes at the local community (immagration was not even involved).

She got immediately permanent residence valid for 5 years at zero costs (including work permit), she would be able to buy land and house on her name and became after 5 years citizen.

Yes and that is too make sure that they are legitimate refugees not like some countries that let any type in even criminals with out checking them and what we found in Australia was that many were sham marriages just to get into the country under the so called human rights convention that it was proved to be a stupid convention and was then ignored after criminals were accepted into the country and Australia became a much better country with better checks on immigrants wanting to come into Australia. Australia is even rounding up the New Zealand criminals and deporting them back to New Zealand

1 hour ago, Sato said:

Visa is not resident and when you cannot fulfil the financial requirements you do not get permission to stay which is a break of the human right law.

Having the right to live together, and having the right to permanent residency are two very different things.

1 hour ago, Sato said:

It is very easy to inforce and daily businness (many court cases because of family reunifications of refugees as this human right is for the whole family not only married couples).

You can sue in court

Okay if it's so easy to enforce then take Thailand to whatever court they need to go to and get it resolved once and for all.

You'll become a local legend.

18 hours ago, Capella said:

Thailand isn't part of Indonesia though. Every country in the world has different rules on who is and isn't welcome to stay. 

We all did not know this. Thanks for telling! ????

11 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Having the right to live together, and having the right to permanent residency are two very different things.

Okay if it's so easy to enforce then take Thailand to whatever court they need to go to and get it resolved once and for all.

You'll become a local legend.

Just ignore it because it is either a troll or one of these stupid human rights idiots

22 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I have an OA with the required health insurance and it would cost me more to obtain this LTR.  On the surface it sounds good but “devil is in the details”.  Many will find this out when they look deeper into it.  

Here are the specific requirements for the “Wealthy/Retired category”

Groups 1 & 2: Wealthy Foreigners and Retirees

• Must purchase a health insurance policy which covers medical expenses of no less than US$50,000 for at least 10 months starting from the date of the application OR provide a social security certificate covering medical expenses in Thailand OR provide proof of at least US$100,000 held in a Thai or foreign bank account for at least 12 months prior to the application date.
  • Must have evidence of an average income of at least US$80,000 for at least 12 months prior to the application date.

are there many retirees making  that type of yearly income, I am not thus, out of the race  555

22 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

(...)

Groups 1 & 2: Wealthy Foreigners and Retirees

• Must purchase a health insurance policy which covers medical expenses of no less than US$50,000 for at least 10 months starting from the date of the application (...)

I stopped reading after half a sentence... Do they really think that people are so desperate to reside in Thailand?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I think they'd quickly surrender (and proudly announce 'peace in our time').

The Thai army is to protect the Thai government from it's own citizens, not foreign invaders.

Exactly, there own citizens, well most of them, are not backed up by guns, if they were, the unelected PM and his soldiers would be hiding under their tables.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I stopped reading after half a sentence... Do they really think that people are so desperate to reside in Thailand?

I think they're desperate for their pals to make money.

All the conditions put money in the pockets of health insurers, property developers, banks, etc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sato said:

The right of married couples of living together is a human right declared in the human rights convention.

So no, it is not up to every country to make their own rules.

Good luck with that.

3 hours ago, Stefanix said:

We all did not know this. Thanks for telling! ????

Like it or lump it. I hated all those rules to, so I became a Thai citizen. The process was a pain, but well worth the effort. 

• Haha 1

On 5/12/2022 at 11:03 AM, KhunLA said:

Here's the not so fine print, from another news-blip.   Why would anyone who fits these, even consider living in Thailand:

image.png.dd3b23cf4da328327f414c50a9becd7a.png

Looks like if you are retired, with no pension, you will have to invest 500k USD.

Thailand Elite is a better option.