Thai people not confident to remove their masks - better to wear them to protect yourself, Thai media

webfact

I wear a mask out of courtesy to others, it does not worry me if other people do not.

Three vaxxes plus having had a mild three-day bout of COVID, IMO a repeat infection is only going to boost my immune system.

I do not wear a mask when I am exercising, that's stupid.

It will be interesting to see how the percentages shake out after June 1, both in terms of mask observance, and COVID infections. My guess is most COVID-infected people are self-testing and self-isolating, the only ones visible are those presenting at hospitals.

• Like 1

Today I was at a branch of a health insurance co. Well known but no naming. At the entrance it was stated "If you have flu like symptoms, please wear a mask".

My temp this morning, measured somewhere in the city was 36.1 C.

What?. These digital meters must be tampered with, right?

Must have had the cold fever then.

Anyway, I entered that fore mentioned branch without wearing my mask properly and there was no problem.

Oh wait, I was actually wearing a mask, lol

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Simple answer to that. If elderly people want to protect themselves from Covid, then let them do so in whichever way(s) they choose.

I totally agree with your statement, the wearing of masks should be a personal choice, plus the world does need to move on.

My point is only that an opinion such as yours should be one of personal choice as you have stated but not out of ignorance,. which seems to be more the pattern here. Surprising, considering the age of posters here.

I have stated previously i know a number of acquaintances that have died from Covid not even in there 60's.

I guess it comes down to the fact that when you don't see the outcomes of such a disease you form a completely different opinion.

• Like 1

When you got a population that has been brainwashed for so long, then it takes years, heck even decades to evelve into indivudual thinking and having the ability to question... Alot of thai people are nowhere close to that and do excactly what they are told by media/corrupt govenrment officials so these masks will most likely stay on their faces for a long long time...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

INN did not report if they asked anyone else except this solitary woman

Of course not. You get the odd lemming that has to tow the line and will fear for their life when they step on an escalator,  but it’s certainly not the case among the dozens of Thais I associate with… right across the spectrum.  Only masking up when they have to. The article is balderdash. 

Edited by daveAustin
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, JAFO said:

I am done wearing the mask program. I am fully vaccinated and see no need for it at all. While I understand many Thai people will live in fear forever, that doesn't mean we all have to. Time to move on. Masks should be optional and if they want to stare at me, so be it.

Selfish attitude. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, JAFO said:

I am done wearing the mask program. I am fully vaccinated and see no need for it at all. While I understand many Thai people will live in fear forever, that doesn't mean we all have to. Time to move on. Masks should be optional and if they want to stare at me, so be it.

Agree, I have worn the mask since day one, received 3 Pfizer jabs and still ended up with Covid, 62, underlying condition and it was nothing more than a mild flu, a little tired and headaches.

I am off to the store now to see if I can buy a Superman T-shirt without a mask on ????

• Like 2

Which districts are dropping the mask mandates? Do they include big cities/towns.

Is it only outdoor masks that are dropped.

Here in Malaysia mask wearing seems to align mainly with ethnicity. They are not compulsory outdoors but I'm not seeing any moves to drop them indoors.

On my few trips into the smaller towns mask wearing seemed to be low.

Interesting that in Singapore masks were dropped over a month ago for non customer facing office workers

Just returned from a trip to Samui. About 80% of Thais were wearing masks, and about 5% of foreigners were. It was so refreshing to NOT wear a mask. Very few new covid cases there. The numbers are down to the point where wearing one now is fairly pointless. It is more about fear, and less about health now. 

So, I say let's start doing away with the masks. Especially outdoors. Since the authorities already said June 15th, I won't be wearing one after that date. This is getting to be ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Agree, I have worn the mask since day one, received 3 Pfizer jabs and still ended up with Covid, 62, underlying condition and it was nothing more than a mild flu, a little tired and headaches.

I am off to the store now to see if I can buy a Superman T-shirt without a mask on ????

And now, especially with Omi, it is very mild for most. Many are still desperately clinging to the Zombie Apocalypse theory and don't want to let go of the fear and panic. 

• Like 2

Just now, spidermike007 said:

And now, especially with Omi, it is very mild for most. Many are still desperately clinging to the Zombie Apocalypse theory and don't want to let go of the fear and panic. 

That is why we are telling as many people exactly what the symptoms are and how we have easily endured it, suffice to say, we do start to see them relaxing and accepting it.

If others want to live in fear, then won't waste my time. I have had far worse than Omicron, like 4 days in bed flat on my back, twice, once in Oz and once here, not even able to get up to go for a leak, when comparing Omicron to this, it's so mild, I wouldn't care less if I got it again, although the wife does keep asking me if I got the number plate of the bus that hit her.

The above said, hasn't stopped us doing anything, wife doesn't stop doing her chores and me mine, not bed ridden, but the headaches and light to eyes are the only things to really mention as a pain.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

i still wear mine to respect thais as im a guest here

i also wear a condom 24.7-----not easy being hansum in LOS

If it's a Thai-sized condom, I am sorry for your loss.

11 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Low IQ / High Superstition here strikes again ….

Yep, killer viruses now added to the litany of intangible mumbo-jumbo; spirits, ghosts, dreams etc, that Thais are terrified of.

Wai a tree 9 times before removing your mask.

• Like 1

I'm using a common sense approach.  Walking outside, no mask. Crowded market, mask. In office at work, no mask. Riding motorbike on busy road, mask etc etc. I think we are reaching a point where except for special cases it should be up to the individual.

Masks should not be used by the Gov as an excuse to not deal with the appalling pollution that covers much of the country for much of the year however.

When I go out on the way to indoor spaces that require a mask I wear it outside. Its convenient and I don't find my N94 compatible with my chin. That's fine. But what's not fine is that I'm now getting derisive dirty looks from f-rangs never Thais in response to my outdoor mask wearing. Like I'm putting pressure on them to mask outdoors which I"m certainly not. This makes me livid.

As mask requirements go away here for both indoors and outdoors wouldn't it be wonderful if we can all respect other people's choices on this matter. Not required to mask is not the same as not a reasonable thing to do for many people.

I see the writing on the wall here already. People that choose to keep masking are going to be getting a lot of undeserved disrespect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, superal said:

From getting Covid yes, more stringent protection is needed. The surgical masks protect others from being infected more than the wearer. Stopping the spread, basically. 

N94 and N95 do provide some protection for the wearer even if others are unmasked. The mainstream health advice after the new super infectious strains emerged was to up your mask game  Cloth mask are basically worthless and procedure masks are very weak compared to N94 and N95.

22 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Sounds about right. My Thai neighbour was wearing her mask on her balcony while doing her laundry all alone in her condo

Yep, Had a week in Hua Hin recenly, Even wearing them on the beach and IN the sea.

22 hours ago, Wiggy said:

If you’ve been jabbed at least twice with non-Chinese vaccines then there should be nothing to fear. (I’m not anti-Chinese, but just saying as they have proven to be fairly ineffective)

Nothing to fear?

Long Covid comes to mind immediately. Immunity wanes, and vaccine resistance is possible. Variants and sub-variants, potentially more lethal and contagious, also bear some thought.

In the end it's all about individual responsibility and situational risk statistics.

Literally, up to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1