Dept of Internal Trade puts brake on Pepsi price rise

webfact

1 minute ago, Snig27 said:

Frankly, it needs to have a hefty rise, as does Coke. Both are poison and contribute to the obesity crisis facing Thailand at the moment. 

Good point,well made.

Something about which the Tories in UK promised to take action.......yet another broken promise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

I am hoping something got lost in translation. There is no way on earth a government can tell a private consumer goods company what price it can charge for its discretionary products. If Pepsi want to charge a million baht per can, well up to them and good luck.

Pretty sure the government is not targeting Pepsi for their cola or other soft drink price increases, but for their bottled drinking water. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

I am hoping something got lost in translation. There is no way on earth a government can tell a private consumer goods company what price it can charge for its discretionary products. If Pepsi want to charge a million baht per can, well up to them and good luck.

Unfortunately, you're wrong in this context.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

This was due to increasing costs of plastic, tin cans and transportation brought about by the huge increases in oil prices worldwide.

Make smaller bottles.  <head slap> "Dohhhh!"

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, connda said:

They will just sell you a plastic bottle that is 60% full instead.  Pepsi is getting their quickly.  I'm sick and tired of buying a bottle with 60 to 75% CO2.

It's a shame that they don't have to indicate the volume of the contents on the bottle, isn't it?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, connda said:

I stopped buying Pepsi when they started leaving a massive amount of empty space in the bottle.  I fault them on three issues:  Shrinkflation (given you less product in the same bottle (like you won't notice); adding to the global plastic problem, and adding to the CO2 problem (all that empty space is filled with Carbon Dioxide.) Make the bottles smaller, use less plastic, use less CO2, and stop conning the public - these big international giants need to be better stewards of the planet. 

I'm happy paying 33bht for 1.95l of Pepsi (BigC).

Cheaper than water.

2 hours ago, Snig27 said:

Frankly, it needs to have a hefty rise, as does Coke. Both are poison and contribute to the obesity crisis facing Thailand at the moment. 

Eat less, exercise more ........ then you can drink whatever you like.

3 hours ago, Snig27 said:

Agree with you that both Coke and Pepsi contribute to obesity, but calling it "poison" might be taking things  a bit too far.

• Like 2

Wow. Saying no to a giant corporation. This is good. American corporations are currently engaging in historic price gouging. They are all claiming it is about supply chains, shipping issues, and labor shortages. Yet many of these filthy companies are showing record profits. 

There are certain entities and people who have shown their ugliest nature during covid, and have been greedy and opportunistic. Say no with your feet. Show them the consumer has some power too. They are absolute pigs. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Wattanasak said that consumer interests were being protected and investigations were underway to ensure that consumers were not being taken advantage of.

Must keep sugar laden products affordable after-all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

You're entitled to your opinion.

However note that in some other countries the populace strongly support/expect the government to control prices/decide maximum prices on some product categories.

Bottom line; up to everybody to have a personal preference on what role government should play.

Personally I prefer an appraoch where the populace strongly support/expect the government to control prices/decide maximum prices. 

Edited by scorecard

4 hours ago, Snig27 said:

Agreed.....couldnt care less how much pepsi costs, rather buy a kilo of sugar and some paint remover.......aweful stuff!

4 hours ago, Snig27 said:

Yes they eat your guts out, so do the rest of them why pick on just Pepsi?. Maybe because the prices are already too high on the rest. So with all this extra money why don't you give the Thai Pensioner's a cost of living increase on their pensions to make their life a little better.