Which UK banks allow you to have a bank account with a Thailand address?

6 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Halifax and Santander permit you to have a Thai address. Santander have no issues sending replacement/renewed cards to Thailand. However, Halifax won't.

Was it your Santander account? I have one, I checked online and to change address to a foreign address you have to post a form to the UK, is that what you did?

• Like 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Was it your Santander account? I have one, I checked online and to change address to a foreign address you have to post a form to the UK, is that what you did?

Exactly, Santander require you to download a change of details form and post it to them as hard copy. Halifax are more modern!

Halifax allow you to use a thai phone number for text/call verifications which so far has allowed me to carry on fine. I note when i log in they constantly ask me to update my address details.

My ulsterbank (natwest) account has been totally restricted to just viewing online balances. When i log in there's a banner on the top asking me to visit my nearest branch and confirm my address details. I called the online support number once and asked if i could use a foreign address (if i was on temporary assignment abroad for example) and they said the account would be suspended until i returned. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My experience:  I have had a nat West account in UK for years and continued to sue it when in Thailand on Retirement visa.

Last year I had to change the account address to my Thai address to get a new Debit card sent to me.

This year, with no warning or explanation, NWB wrote to me and said they were closing that account.  Could be that they do not like Thai address, but no explanation.

Researcch while here in UK has suggested that UK banks do not like overseas addresses, and are more vigilant on thsi since UK left EEC.

Todau, local Santander branch told me that address in Thailand is acceptable, but suggested that it had to be set up with their International Dept.

I am in the process of setting up an account with Santander and will keep the Forum updated about any problems.

it seems hat it might be possible to set up account with my UK address and then notify them of address change when I return to Thailand

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JayClay said:

If you have credit options with a bank which you may wish to make use of in the future, then don't tell your bank that you're in Thailand; they will most likely remove all credit facilities.

Yes also there probably some sort of link between the banks and HMRC otherwise they wouldn't be so hot in checking address details

54 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes also there probably some sort of link between the banks and HMRC otherwise they wouldn't be so hot in checking address details

Ye the reason i got from ulster bank was for withholding tax on interest/dividends as i recall. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

NatWest do have an international account option (Instant Saver), I use them with no fees and a Thai address but it's not UK based, but in the Channel Islands.

I opened an account with Skipton Building Society in Guernsey, Thai address no problem, all correspondence etc is done online. But it's linked to my First Direct UK account, and I don't think I can transfer the money from Guernsey anywhere else, not that I need to. I only opened it because FD wouldn't let me open a new savings product. I can keep my existing account, but no new ones. If you have a UK bank account, keep it active and hang on to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No issues with Nationwide Building Society. They've always had my 'real' address, be it China, Egypt and now here. I've received debit cards, credit cards and a replacement card reader since I've lived here without any problems.

1 minute ago, Eff1n2ret said:

If you have a UK bank account, keep it active and hang on to it.

That's good advice. I now transfer my pension payments to my Thai bank via Wise, but I still channel them through my NBS account first.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

And my wife and I, but will now only post our debit cards to a UK address

It's preferable that they do so, as you can then arrange a secure way of sending them to Thailand. Last year First Direct chose to issue new Mastercard debit cards in place of Visa. Around the same time my HSBC credit card was used for unauthorised payments in US grocery stores. Both replacement cards went astray (I've only had one item of post in almost a year and that was part eaten by mice). My son sent the further replacements via DHL inside books that I wanted - an expensive way of doing things, but sometimes the best way to solve a problem is by throwing money at it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

It's preferable that they do so, as you can then arrange a secure way of sending them to Thailand. Last year First Direct chose to issue new Mastercard debit cards in place of Visa. Around the same time my HSBC credit card was used for unauthorised payments in US grocery stores. Both replacement cards went astray (I've only had one item of post in almost a year and that was part eaten by mice). My son sent the further replacements via DHL inside books that I wanted - an expensive way of doing things, but sometimes the best way to solve a problem is by throwing money at it.

Wow! Thanks for the warning. I'm in same position. Have you looked at virtual cards and Google Pay etc.? I can't set up Google Pay because you need a debit card to begin with and I only have a UK credit card. There has to be an easier way!

16 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Summing up the responses so far, if I was a UK citizen my take would be the same as it is being a USA citizen - it's much preferable to retain a home country address presence and deal with some minor hassles, rather than take a chance of now - OR IN THE FUTURE - having.major hassles - and (possibly) no bank account(s).

Very sensible advice thanks! As you stress, you don't know if/when regulations may change and whatever system you had for years may no longer work!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Halifax and Santander permit you to have a Thai address. Santander have no issues sending replacement/renewed cards to Thailand. However, Halifax won't.

Can one of these accounts be opened online or must one open in person?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lungbing said:

HSBC have no problem with me living here.  But I am sure you couldn't open a new account from here.

Same same, though I opened the account in the UK whilst on a visit.   

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Summing up the responses so far, if I was a UK citizen my take would be the same as it is being a USA citizen - it's much preferable to retain a home country address presence and deal with some minor hassles, rather than take a chance of now - OR IN THE FUTURE - having.major hassles - and (possibly) no bank account(s).

Banks and regulations will only get stricter in regards of Know Your Customer (KYC) and Anti Money Laundering restrictions and potential penalties. Personally I will never tell any UK institution if I'm living in Thailand.

For those here who place trust in Fintech Companies such as Wise, Revolut etc. then beware that they will also freeze an account/payment on the smallest of suspicions. A member of staff owed me for a parking fine and paid me back by doing a bank transfer to my Wise account. Wise blocked the payment and would not release it to me until I could send them sender's ID and reason for transfer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Can one of these accounts be opened online or must one open in person?

My Halifax account I've had since the 1960's. Santander (was originally an Alliance and Leicester account) for over 20 years. Both opened in person at U.K. branches. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

Exactly, I had two accounts in Oz, one had the Thai address and the other has an address in Oz, I did try to change it online to here in Thailand but it said I would have to do it in person, so I let it slide, fortunately for me it didn't allow me to change addresses.  

Couple of months back after living here for 6 years the bank with the Thai address rang me and asked me questions like do you live in Thailand, yes I answered, when are you coming back if ever, not likely in the future I said, having to much of a good time here, ok, so you are living overseas and aren't coming back in the near future, that's right I said, and the reply was that the banks policy states that you must be a resident of Australia to hold an account with our bank, so we will be closing your account effective in 7 days, ok, that's fine I said as the majority of my money is with another bank, I did that when you shut my wife's account down 2 years ago because she couldn't satisfy your money laundering questions the way you wanted them answered, i.e. translation of address from Thai to English, witnessed by a Notary, hardly worth the cost as she didn't use the account.

From my experience, best to keep an address in your home country because I keep hearing that I am not alone and they are closing a lot of expats accounts down who live here from all over the globe.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Seems mad that they close accounts when you need one to receive pensions eventually 

My friend opened an account with the Bank of India, London Branch.

They do allow remote account opening, so its possible to open from Thailand.

website -

https://www.bankofindia.uk.com/Home/Display?PageName=Contactus

contact -

London Branch

Bank of India, London Branch

4th floor,

63 Queen Victoria Street,

London EC4N 4UA

Tel: 020 7965 2500

Fax: 020 7965 2556

Email: [email protected]

• Like 1