Russian woman breaks her leg after being hit by a large log while swimming at Kata Beach

webfact

image.jpeg

By Goong Nang(GN)

Kata, Phuket - A Russian woman has broken her leg after she was hit by a large log which was washed up by waves at Kata Beach.

Emergency responders were notified of the incident from the head of Kata lifeguards Mr. Winai Tanboon at 11:30 A.M. Thursday (June 2nd) at Kata Beach in the Karon sub-district, Mueang Phuket district.

They arrived at the scene to find the Russian woman, whose name was withheld at her request, lying on the beach in severe pain.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2022/06/04/russian-woman-breaks-her-leg-after-being-hit-by-a-large-log-while-swimming-at-kata-beach/

The-Phuket-Express-Logo-Small-300x121.png
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2022-06-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, transam said:

If a floating log can sink a small boat, what do you think it could do to a ladies lag....?  ????

I suspect the boats move a bit faster than Russian ladies in the water.

Edited by BritManToo

If she was standing and ducking in the waters edge waves (she probably like many Europeans has no ability to actually swim through waves with safety and was playing in the first few feet of the waters edge where she can keep her footing) and the log rolled in the surf it sure could break her leg/s and or kill anyone it hit. That tree limb/trunk could weight many tonnes if waterlogged, and it looks to me to have been in the water quite some time so it probably was water logged and weighing many times its natural dry weight.

The amount of water logged large trees just under the surface of the water is prolific in Phuket during monsoon season.

I surf during this time at a few spots around the island and I can attest to the dangers of water logged - huge tree pieces ... in the water - everywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Easily done, see plenty of very large logs, semi-submerged roll in on the swell, actually surprised it doesn't happen more often here at this time of year to those not used to the beach and waves.

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Wouldn't think that was possible.

Healthy people do not break bones from swimming into a log.

Entirely possible.  Waterlogged timber like that floats just below the surface.  No doubt she was making her way out through the waves and the log washed into her leg with force.  I am a surfer and have been surfing all over Thailand both west and east coasts for decades.  I have nearly been killed on at least three occassions when out in big storm swells on the west coast....duck diving and narrowly missing logs in the oncoming wave.  It gets worse the further north you go in wet season.  I have surfed secret spots around and offshore from Ranong in May-July.  Almost like Russian Roulette...huge amounts of drift wood.

But by far the most lethal flotsam is the big lights from the squid boats.  They have a glass bulb the size of an american football and a big steel bayonette screw cap.  When they come ashore they settle in the sand with the steel cap at the bottom.  The top of the bulb then shatters when it is hit by other debris and you have a lethal razor sharp flower of death sitting just below the surface.

On 6/4/2022 at 7:30 AM, BritManToo said:

Wouldn't think that was possible.

Healthy people do not break bones from swimming into a log.

Rainy season brings in big rolling waves. My guess is the log rolled into her. Speedy recovery, not a great holiday. We'll be back soon to seeing young tourists in casts & bandages.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Rainy season brings in big rolling waves. My guess is the log rolled into her. Speedy recovery, not a great holiday. We'll be back soon to seeing young tourists in casts & bandages.

I recall in my, boat cruising along heading out to mid English Channel when my boat took off with a crash, I did not see a wooden pallet floating unseen by me, very lucky our boats have steel bands on the keel in case of events like this and beaching on pebble, could have been a different story ...????