Dual Pricing Reconfirmed In Thailand National Parks

webfact

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wrong.. It does not in ‘every national park’... neither does a work permit. 

The Pink ID has worked in Samet. It didn’t work in Trat.

Point is it DOES get you local NP prices ….sometimes????????

6 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Foreigner National Pink ID Card available from Municipal or Interior Ministry with Foreigner House Registration Yellow Book.

National Parks might also accept Thai Drivers License ?
As that’s also a Govt. Photo ID accepted Everywhere Here.  
National Parks would otherwise be the ONLY Govt/ Private institution here NOT to accept TDL????

One price for all adults and children... cut the "card or TDL rubbish"

• Like 1

There is multi pricing with substantial differences in other countries as well. For example in Hungary

How much do Hungarian Parliament tickets cost?

General admission prices:

• HUF 3,500 (10€) for EU Citizens
  • HUF 6,700 (20€) for non-EU Citizens
  • HUF 1,900 (5€) for students (6-24) who are EU Citizens
  • HUF 3,500 (10€) for students (6-24) who are non-EU Citizens
  • Free for children under the age of 6

If you are Hungarian, or were born in Hungary you get in free. I was told "free entry" by the ticket seller even though I explained (in Hungarian which helped) that I was Australian and it was the first time I had been to Hungary in more than 50 years. Note also that the lower prices are for EU Citizens, not expats or mere residents, although I don't know if an EU driver license will get you in cheaper.

Edited by Dexxter

4 hours ago, realfunster said:

Not to doubt your life experiences in TH but ????.

I guess occupying a bar stool in Pattaya, loaning out money there, would give different results and perspective.

19 hours ago, dutchman said:

All Thais think it is normal foreigners to pay more as Thais it is their culture thinking it is ok rip off a foreigner at some local markets they ask also more as for Thais

I agree. When my Thai wife and I go browsing in the local markets and she decides to look at clothes for herself, I always make sure I am out of sight from the vendor. That way she always gets a Thai price quote. If the vendor sees that she is with a foreigner the quote often doubles. Once the purchase is agreed I step in and hand her the correct amount. The disappointed looks on the vendors' faces are priceless. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, androokery said:

I find it weird that they choose to insult me for such tiny sums. I was charged 20 baht extra at a street food cart because I am not Thai. Obviously I never bought any more food from that seller. 

I had a similar experience with a vendor selling food outside a small local restaurant they ran. I wanted to buy a couple of chicken pieces which would have cost around 60 baht but they wanted to charge me 170 baht. When I queried the high price the guy made a buffalo sign with his fingers up near his temple and his wife laughed. This was 6 years ago. I did not buy his chicken and made a point of always buying chicken from the vendor a few metres from the rude guy. There are few foreigners in my area so he would have noticed me every time. He lost 6 years of business because of his rudeness although I don't think he is smart enough to realise his loss. In the meantime I have developed good relationships with many of the other vendors who charge me the same price as Thais and sell their goods with a smile. As another BM said, duck and weave, go with the flow, don't get upset.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Totally agree.

But if she stays all night and we have seconds in the morning.

I may well give a 20 baht tip. :thumbsup:

I hope that is not your wife you are talking about. ????

18 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I got an old codger's MRT pass when I bought one using my pink ID card ..... 25% discount ????

I just used my passport to prove my age. No pink card. My yellow MRT card gives me a 50% discount. You got cheated. ????

It does mention on the back that a citizen ID must be presented on request. Not a plomplem for the past couple of years but I might come unstuck one day. ????

21 hours ago, Grusa said:

I have  always insisted, and mostly got, Thai price with the pink card. If not, walk away.

When you have driven 20 km or more and have the wife and a kid in tow, not exactly a great day out!

(One place wouldn't accept a Thai licence, and wanted to hear me speak Thai!!)

Edited by jacko45k

45 minutes ago, Dexxter said:

I hope that is not your wife you are talking about. ????

19 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Totally agree.

But if she stays all night and we have seconds in the morning.

I may well give a 20 baht tip. :thumbsup:

She would never get a tip, just sent to the 7/11 to get 4 large beer Chang's out of her own money for services rendered. 

Good job i see the funny side with most things in life.

As i say in life.

The Bong is always half full, Not half empty. :giggle:

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2022 at 10:41 AM, Andylongtime said:

Discrimination at its finest 

I will take his advice, and save myself money, I going to drink one more Leo while I sit outside the park while the family goes for a wander. I have sneeked through many times, staying in the car let the wife buy the tickets then go in, they usually don't bother to ask but sometimes they do and I just show driver's licence, they say no good, then I pay more quite often I don't bother as 100 Bhat is cheap it's costs 27 dollars to go on the ski lift in Raupehu NZ, and kids over 5 full price under 5 half so for 2 adults and a child over 5, it's 81 dollars to go up the mountain for a coffee, that's 12 dollars a cup when you get there, think yourselfs lucky. 

16 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

As a 'local' to Khao Yai National Park, I rarely visit because of the dual pricing rip off and most of the local expats feel the same. 

As a local, you should know the way in that doesn't pass the ticket booth. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, thonglorjimmy said:

Likewise residents of Florida can obtain a discount for Disney World Theme Parks, based on their residency, not on the colour of their skin, because the

Nowhere is it based on the colour of your skin, certainty not in Thailand. 

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I don't think that Foreign pensioners in Australia would be able to get residency , they wouldn't be able to get a visa for any length of time , just a temporary tourist tourist visa  

Indeed, pensioners here are incredibly lucky with the relaxed visa rules here. 

Even if they don't satisfy immigration requirements they can get an illegal visa for $500 for the year. 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

When you have driven 20 km or more and have the wife and a kid in tow, not exactly a great day out!

(One place wouldn't accept a Thai licence, and wanted to hear me speak Thai!!)

That's fair enough, if you don't integrate and are illiterate, you shouldn't get local prices. 

• Confused 2

Whilst lots of guys are saying just avoid the National Park, one of my favourite Islands (Koh Samed) is now 1 big national park so you have to pay to enter when you get there (It used to be you only needed to pay when you went to the beach). 

The GF pays 40 THB & I pay 200 THB but the good news is it's valid for 5 days & nobody checks if you stay longer. 

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Being treated like a second class citizen here by this Government because I am not a Thai national, nor look like one, and I am charged more is and can be classified as a cultural bias

So you want the govt to treat you like a citizen? 

You are not charged more, citizens get reduced price. 

If you work here, you can become a citizen. 

I hear you on the sales staff ignoring you, I get that but understand as most [farangs] speak Thai that can't be understood.  Racism and discrimination happen everywhere, but those from developed countries in a developing one get resentments due to their instilled feelings of entitlement and superiority, live with it. 

• Confused 4

13 hours ago, koratkarlos said:

But on the street for food or buying other things it makes me angry when a Thai raises his price as he think foreigners have more money.  I just don't buy from these people.  It does not take long to learn the "Thai" prices.

If I go to a new street food vendor I just watch what the previous Thai person pays for the food and offer the correct change for my purchase. If they wanted more I would just leave the food on their cart and walk away. I have never been refused a sale. Once I get to know them and they remember me I can give them larger notes and expect the correct change.