It's all going cashless!

proton

8 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

The reality:

1. Fumble in your pocket or handbag for your phone.

2. Switch it on.

3. Swipe until you find the banking app.

4. Tap it and wait for it to open.

5. Find the buttons to get to "Scan".

6. Tap "Scan" and wait for app to run.

7. Point phone at QR code and wait for response.

8. Try again because it didn't work.

9. Enter the amount if required.

10. Enter your security number.

11. Enter your correct security number.

12. Wait for a beep.

13. Close app and put phone back in your pocket/handbag.

14. Take bill from cashier.

It must be a nightmare for you getting in your front door !!!! ????

The REAL reality:

1. Fumble in your pocket or handbag for your phone.

- Take phone out of pocket (same as wallet), phone automatically opens as the screen is touched, slide up face ID... all takes less than a  second. 

2. Switch it on.

3. Swipe until you find the banking app.

- Takes a second and it opens instantly. 

4. Tap it and wait for it to open.

5. Find the buttons to get to "Scan".

- Its right there on the first page and the scan opens instantly.

6. Tap "Scan" and wait for app to run.

7. Point phone at QR code and wait for response.

- Response is instant.

8. Try again because it didn't work.

9. Enter the amount if required.

- Finally, something correct

10. Enter your security number.

- Face ID, instant.

11. Enter your correct security number.

-  oh come on, how long does it take to enter a 4 or 6 digit number ?

12. Wait for a beep.

13. Close app and put phone back in your pocket/handbag.

14. Take bill from cashier.

- Youre being silly.... 

REAL Reality: 

1. Open banking app,

2. select Scan,

3. point phone camera at QR code, enter amount (if not already entered from QR),

4. type in your security number.

Exactly as BritManToo mentioned.... Not that hard to do... it really does not take longer than 10 seconds. 

The issue of course is with dullards who cannot deal with Tech - for those people, sure stay with cash or use credit-cards.... For me, I prefer credit cards for the points. 

• Like 2

Another invaluable facet of cashless payment... 

Paying people.... 

This has made paying mates etc so much easier...

Playing football... a pitch is booked, everyone owes there 220 baht or whatever it is... 

Everyone simply transfers through the Banking App (PromptPay etc)...   simple, no hassle (well, except for those who struggle with IT / Tech / Computers)....

The same people were probably whinging when check-books were phased out in the favour of debit cards etc.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm fine with cashless, as long as they make sure that it actually works.

A Subway branch I sometimes visit has recently gone cashless. They told me before I ordered to check if I could pay cashless, I said I'll use my Rabbit card (as I did previously), which they confirmed.

At checkout, another member of their staff informed me that their Rabbit card reader is broken. Not a big deal in my case, as I could make a QR code payment instead, but what if? How many alternatives do YOU as the customer need to "support" to ensure that you can make such a basic transaction?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Another invaluable facet of cashless payment... 

Paying people.... 

This has made paying mates etc so much easier...

Playing football... a pitch is booked, everyone owes there 220 baht or whatever it is... 

Everyone simply transfers through the Banking App (PromptPay etc)...   simple, no hassle (well, except for those who struggle with IT / Tech / Computers)....

The same people were probably whinging when check-books were phased out in the favour of debit cards etc.

I still have checkbooks for my banks in the US. Pay my bills in the US that way monthly.  Of course it takes awhile through the mail.....

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 2:42 PM, digibum said:

Unfortunately, almost every crypto project is either a complete scam or in order to replicate what banks do in a way that would make them competitive with existing banks, they basically create a centralized service which just means an unregulated bank.  

And crypto doesn’t solve fractional reserve banking.  

Even most crypto enthusiasts shrug their shoulders when you ask if they really believe Tether is backed 1:1 with USD deposits.   

Like i said regulations will remove most. In Crypto circles is has rumored  for a long time that Tether is not backed 1:1 and they will probably be sued by the SEC or implode like Luna.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The issue of course is with dullards who cannot deal with Tech

Please come to Makro and watch the dullards lovely people attempting to pay using their phones.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

wow--dinosaur land.

I know, right, but it still works.  Still see folks writing checks in the stores, I just tap my card and go.  No payment apps yet like here in Thailand...

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The issue of course is with dullards who cannot deal with Tech - for those people, sure stay with cash or use credit-cards.... For me, I prefer credit cards for the points. 

"For the points"?  Not because it is new tech - not because it is easy - not because it is better?

As one whose work life moved from Morse code/radio teletype/crypto/computers/satellite/packet switching/internet and had no issues find it hard to consider myself a dullard because I do not make the choice to live for my phone.  It should be a choice.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

If you have the phone-banking app it should be in there as an option.

I think you can set up at an ATM too (may depend upon the bank), please make sure there's not a queue behind you ???? 

OK I've just set up PromptPay on my BBL phone app - OTP, everything all confirmed.

Now HOW do I use it???

Dumb question I know - but over 70yrs, so some help appreciated!!

(Normally I pay by cash ( 7 etc) except Loyus will process my Debit card but that takes time to put itt inot their machine, enter my PIN theen wait for the the paper receipt to grind out - so maybe promtpay will be quicker!)

For PromptPay the seller will put up a QR code on their terminal, you scan that with your banking App "scan to pay" or similar option.

Things go "beep", job done ???? 

Truemoney is the other way round, the QR displays on the phone and the cashier scans that.

it still goes "beep" ???? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

OK I've just set up PromptPay on my BBL phone app - OTP, everything all confirmed.

Now HOW do I use it???

Dumb question I know - but over 70yrs, so some help appreciated!!

(Normally I pay by cash ( 7 etc) except Loyus will process my Debit card but that takes time to put itt inot their machine, enter my PIN theen wait for the the paper receipt to grind out - so maybe promtpay will be quicker!)

where do you get prompt pay from is it an app or does the bank set it up?

Just now, proton said:

Set it up via your banking App on the phone. As a foreigner you have to link to a Thai phone number.

• Like 2

Just now, Crossy said:

Usually the seller will put up a QR code on their terminal, you scan that with your banking App "scan to pay" or similar option.

Things go "beep", job done ???? 

And don't it just make the queue even longer, really frustrating waiting behind someone when it takes so long to scan, or at least attempt to scan. Them and those with coupons, bane of my life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Excel said:

And don't it just make the queue even longer, really frustrating waiting behind someone when it takes so long to scan, or at least attempt to scan. Them and those with coupons, bane of my life.

Coupons, what's up with that. So frustrating. Come on folks.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Set it up via your banking App on the phone. As a foreigner you have to link to a Thai phone number.

That's me stumped then can't get the Krungsri banking app to work ????

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Excel said:

Only if you / they are not prepared.

Definitely annoying if they have to open the app, log in (forgot the passcode), find the scan" button etc. etc.

I aim to not annoy those behind me, sadly others are not always so considerate ???? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, proton said:

That's me stumped then can't get the Krungsri banking app to work ????

Bu99er! 

You could go to a branch where they could fix that and enable PromptPay too ???? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Coupons, what's up with that. So frustrating. Come on folks.

Tell me about it!

And then the cashier "helpfully" splits the transaction so that they can get a till coupon to use on the rest of their purchase.

You want frustration, try the Self-Checkout machines!

• Like 1

It is the future.  Here starting already. 
I first saw it in Sweden 3 years ago. (before covid) and was shocked and scared. 
But you get used to it. 
We still had some cash because the reindeer herders would only take cash for the boat rides, but most everywhere else was app or credit card only.  

So, now it's becoming mainstream in Thailand. 
I'm sure it'll be rough for some for a while. 
Sort of like smart phones.  
But we got used to them, didn't we?   (well most of us anyway) 

Good luck folks.   

Crypto accepted everywhere is next. 

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Only if you / they are not prepared.

Definitely annoying if they have to open the app, log in (forgot the passcode), find the scan" button etc. etc.

I aim to not annoy those behind me, sadly others are not always so considerate ???? 

Well I don't use it  but in the same vain as you identified I guess they are the same ones you get behind at an ATM, who forget their PIN, can't find it on their phone and have to phone home all whilst holding others up

• Haha 1

Just now, Excel said:

Well I don't use it  but in the same vain as you identified I guess they are the same ones you get behind at an ATM, who forget their PIN, can't find it on their phone and have to phone home all whilst holding others up

As I noted in an earlier post, part of what I do is study idiots users at customer facing interfaces.

There are many, many variations on the theme.

We develop a better interface, Mother Nature develops a better idiot! Life goes on.

• Like 1

Let's say you are a tourist from the USA and all you have are a USA based Debit Card and a USA based Credit Card, how would you get a Starbucks Latte?  I have never used my USA Debit Card in Thailand(truthfully don't know if it would work here) and I really would not want to make a small credit card purchase at a Starbucks.  This gong cashless trend might not be great for some tourists who plan on exchanging a lot their money into Baht.  

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

"For the points"?  Not because it is new tech - not because it is easy - not because it is better?

Correct, I use a credit card wherever possible for the points... the points one of the cards (Citi ROP) translates directly to frequent flier miles (had a few trips on that before covid), another one (SCB MCard) is very decent discounts at Mall Group Shops... 

Otherwise I’d just use QR Payment from my phone or debit card.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

As one whose work life moved from Morse code/radio teletype/crypto/computers/satellite/packet switching/internet and had no issues find it hard to consider myself a dullard because I do not make the choice to live for my phone.  It should be a choice.

You've already created your bias when you mentioned ‘live for my phone’....   as if the phone is a bad thing. 

I agree it should be a choice... IF I had a choice, carry a wallet or a phone, I’d just carry the phone... 

Edited by richard_smith237

23 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

^ Even that seems old now .

I just touch my card against the card reader , and when it immediately beeps, that's the transaction carried out 

In the UK that works well...  In Thailand I’ve not found anywhere that does that yet, its little bit behind. 

Even the Tap ’n Go debit cards system is hit and miss here...  I’ve only had it work once !

48 minutes ago, proton said:

On the BBL mBanking phone app it's there already as an option.

But you have to register (within the app) using your mobile phone number as ID, get an OTP, enter that then it's done.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:
8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You've already created your bias when you minions ‘live for my phone’....   as if the phone is a bad thing. 

(had to edit - mentioned not minions)... 

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Not against having a phone - but for my use it is phone calls or sms.  I do not walk in a trance with my eyes on the phone as we see all too often these days.  That said many people can control themselves in use in a responsible manner and it can provide a great deal of information and help.  But to require people to have/use such computers for simple food payment just does not make sense.

It makes perfect sense....  paying by QR code is quick and simple...    

The idea you have about ‘using such computers’ is over egging the pudding...  computers are all around us now...  they are part of life...  Its not as if we need to log into a 1970’s IBM just to make the transaction... 

My Phone is everything...   its my insurance policy (on my car, house, motorbike, medical), its my Map, its the entry to my house (RFID), its my Bank, its my connection to my family, my connection to friends, my photo library, my music library, my calendar, my source of information......  

Modern phones are incredible - for me at least. 

And then when I’m with friends, in the pub or at dinner etc the phone goes in the pocket, used if needed... to pay for the beers etc or to search for the next place with a happy hour, decent roof top.....  and then to call a taxi to get there so we don’t have to get irritated by the next 5 taxi drivers trying to rip us off... 

Overwhelming convenience....   But, I definitely agree with you.... that convenience comes at the cost of plenty of idiots who never take their noses out of their phones and for those who walk looking at their phones... they deserve it when the trip and lose their front teeth !..

• Like 1