Thailand on 170,000 baht a month

LaosLover

9 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Something doesn't ring true about this post.

The OP claims to  be retired but apparently knows little or nothing about very basic  things- politeness and diplomacy for example.

He claims to  have experience of living in Mexico but can't seem to link that to living here in terms of getting things done.

He goes out of  his way to insult people having asked them for advice.

He targets British and  Australian  people for some reason.

But the  stream of consciousness  teenage style questions combined with use of long distorted words to represent a sound is a also very high school style derisory insult. It indicate a troll - possibly someone with a duplicate account

And his name: LaosLover.

Why not move to Laos?

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

only have 59-61K a month (baht dependant) for me and my family - at 58 , I only get my company pension and UK rental income, later I will get UK state pension. I'd like to think that I have made some good financial choices in life to permit me to retire at 55 -

Good you are proud of yourself but in reality, that amount less then $2000 a month sadly does not even qualify you for a Visa in a semi-3rd world country.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, LaosLover said:
4 hours ago, phetphet said:

Wine is expensive here due to high taxes.

Taking account of the nightmare traffic in Bangkok, you may end up using the BTS and MRT transport systems more than any Uber or regular taxi driver. That will be more convenient and less cost.

Personal trainers? You can probably negotiate price. Variable. But you might also have to factor in gym costs.

Thai language tutors? Maybe better to join a school.

After the gym and Thai lessons, it's all that other free time during the day that you will have to have to price in for the two of you.

Seeing as all other costs (insurance etc) are separate, what you plan is possible, but I reckon you will change those plans once here and experience the reality.

The other thing going in your favour might be the USD getting stronger as it is forecast to do.

Good luck with your aims.

Expand  

I've been all over Bangkok in my 20+ visits and my crosstown travels will therefore be infrequent, but it would be great to have a reliable driver to say, explore the other side of the river. I'll def do a language school and am researching neighborhoods where I might like to live that have one that at least has a competent website.

Most likely that means living closer to downtown, so I'm prob talking about a 2 step move: Farang ghetto on arrival, then moving a bit further out down the road. If my graduate studies come to pass, I guess I'll live near Chunglakorn University, which is a pretty decent and green area to be in (behind the MBK mall). We may yet end up in Chiang Mai, again for the university connection.

If I'm doing the gym, 3-4 hours of language study, and enjoying the city, I don't see too much unfilled time going wanting. Me and my wife are happy to spend 24 hours a day together alone for months on end, like we do in Mexico. We'll do meet ups etc. with limited expectations and a very open mind.

Must be a new univeristy.
Chunglakorn.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

Good you are proud of yourself but in reality, that amount less then $2000 a month sadly does not even qualify you for a Visa in a semi-3rd world country.

You must be utterly bonkers or clearly you are trolling as you clearly do not know what the financial requirements are for an extension of stay based on marriage or having Thai children here in Thailand,  which I suspect  @RichardColeman has ,as he mentioned his family in his post, but still perhaps you didn't actually bother to read that.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Onerak said:

Why Thailand is your passion and In the center of Bangkok, one of the most polluted, crowded city? Is your wife Thai? You should better move to Portugal or Spain. What are you exactly looking for by living in Bangkok? As for your uber driver, why not just buy a car and use a chauffer to drive you around? And when you are not using the car, you can tell the driver to use it as uber/bolt car to earn some extra money for him. 

BKK is one of the most vibrant cities in the world to live.

Meals / nights out from 100 baht to 100K - love it!

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

What's 170K get you in the GF department? I'm asking for Sparktrader.

An extended family, which includes people whose sole connection is that they once walked by her Isaan hovel. I also enjoy dressing her up in clothes she would be aghast at choosing for herself, as 200 baht from a sidewalk seller is good enough for her. Thus, I accept blame for the tastes she is trying to acquire. Luckily she has no taste for wine, so I don't have to share the Biondi Santi or Sassicaia with her.

Seriously, even on this site there are folks with a very wide range of financial wherewithal. I admit to being extremely lucky, through no fault of my own, and having been possessed of a skill I don't think offers any meaningful value to society. Still, it is what it is. Life ain't fair.

Edited by Walker88

Reading about an early retiree, late forties, who relocated from the US with wife and teenage daughter to Lisbon and easily gets by on the equivalent of B85k/month. Nice 2-bed apartment, dine-out more than dine-in, utilities on par with Thai prices. A lot cleaner than anything on offer in Thailand too.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Personal Assistant (PA). I hired mine from Mandarin @ top of the escalator in NEP. Highly recommended agency.

I have two personal  trainers- one for  each foot.

Presumably you know the Mandarin because you got hustled in there  by the touts outside and never got any further into the plaza.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Reading about an early retiree, late forties, who relocated from the US with wife and teenage daughter to Lisbon and easily gets by on the equivalent of B85k/month. Nice 2-bed apartment, dine-out more than dine-in, utilities on par with Thai prices. A lot cleaner than anything on offer in Thailand too.

Lisbon is a major  European capital. Accommodation is expensive. Its a great city but like all EU  cities bares no resemblance to Bangkok. Lisbon  is not cheap  anymore. One thing Portugal and Thailand  have in common is a police force with similar characteristics.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I have two personal  trainers- one for  each foot.

Presumably you know the Mandarin because you got hustled in there  by the touts outside and never got any further into the plaza.

As you find.

3 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Lisbon is a major  European capital. Accommodation is expensive. Its a great city but like all EU  cities bares no resemblance to Bangkok. Lisbon  is not cheap  anymore. One thing Portugal and Thailand  have in common is a police force with similar characteristics.

Ditto.

14 hours ago, Onerak said:

As for your uber driver, why not just buy a car and use a chauffer to drive you around? And when you are not using the car, you can tell the driver to use it as uber/bolt car to earn some extra money for him. 

If the poster follows your suggestion I hope he brings along a lot of Excedrin.    First off if he lets the driver use his personal vehicle, he'll have to deal with it as a commercial vehicle and have the appropriate insurance.

And mostly  would you trust a near stranger to drive your car  all day long with complete strangers in it?

Edited by In Full Agreement

18 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

Maybe the poster wants to big himself up a bit but that's nothing unusual for TVF.    What the big deal and reason for dragging his carcass cross the hot coals?

Three days ago I saw advertisements  for a driver for 15K THB a month in Bangkok.

And in reality we all sitting here on the terrace in a random Isan village surrounded by dogs and chickens, in our chang tank top solving world problems drinking lao kao from a plastic cup. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Chiang Mai way better if you love mountains. Fly to Bangkok once a month.

Honestly Bkk is great for a week or two. After that just a big dirty city.

Where did you live in bangkok? 
when I lived in bangkok it was really clean and modern, was nothing like I thought it was. Looked like a first world country to me

Everything is nicer and cleaner in bangkok, more stores, higher quality stores, better internet, better restaurants, better condos, more safe, plus all the girls in bangkok looked like super models

Edited by dj230
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Question: how easy (and how much) is it to hook up with a regular Uber driver we can sort of have on semi-call when we need him?

Use Grab, (no Uber since about 2018). In central Bangkok waiting time is about 5-10 minutes. Zero point in having a semi-call driver, and Grab do not provide, as this is their service. Use Grab Car Premium, (Toyota Camry or Nissan Teana, or sometimes better, mostly in very good (new) condition.

I would save around 155000 a month on your alleged income .

But then my life would change little if I had that type of Income you allegedly will have.

All getting too much for you then buy some crypto . That should help matters 

• Haha 1

Hello everyone,

I'm an internet billionaire with a fleet of Rols Royces, five supermodel girlfriends, my very own cow, and a joint condition that I can easily afford the monthly treatments for.

Does anyone know where in Bangkok I can buy an extension cord?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, LaosLover said:

I've been all over Bangkok in my 20+ visits and my crosstown travels will therefore be infrequent, but it would be great to have a reliable driver to say, explore the other side of the river. I'll def do a language school and am researching neighborhoods where I might like to live that have one that at least has a competent website.

Grab. You do the research, the driver will take you there, using GPS. If you need help finding somewhere interesting to explore, then a tour company would be the best solution. Finding a reliable one not so easy. 

In all seriousness THB170K is not that big a budget, depending on the amount you want to pay for rent. THB50K for a 1 bedroom flat in Bangkok is doable, but it would lessen your options in the quality, facilities and location of where you want to live.

I own my own 250sqm condo in CBD Bangkok, so I do not pay rent, but I spend about THB90-100K per month on normal living expenses, like maid, management fees, utlities, transport, incidentals (tipping), groceries. I rarely eat or drink out, but I buy at one of the top grocery stores for food and drink.

Bangkok is not a cheap city in which to live at a high standard of living. There are of course many permutations to scale everything up or down, depending on how much you want to spend; that is everyone's choice.

• Like 1