How to legally help wife on a noodle stall without getting arrested?

I read of a chap whose wife ran a restaurant and gave him breakfast. After he had done he carried the empty plate out to the kitchen and Immigration and Police grabbed him for working without a work permit. Sio given the utterly xenophobic and draconian rules these people seem to have when my wife suggested she open a noodle stall and I helped her I immediately looked up Work Permit regs. Seems unless you are a proper business a foreign husband on a non-imm OA annually-extended visa based on Marriage simply could not provide the necessary papers and a noodle cart seller most certainly could not.

So I've seen farang working in the markets, one is a pilot who also runs his own food stall when not flying - how is this possible? Naturally as a 76 year old I cannot do too much but naturally a husband wants to help his wife but it seems the all-powerful Immigration Police prohibit this with silly rules backed up by severe punishments.?

So what to do because I am well aware of high risks caught working by "taking my plate out to the kitchen" and being reported by jealous jobsworths and that game is not worth the candle?

Any advice on legal ways to gain a piece of paper allowing me to wash dishes for my wife for example? I won't be paid of course, it's all part of our family life and income.

• Like 2

I assume that unless you have the work permit or are a business owner, there is nothing you can do to assist in any way. 

I also assume that touching incoming cash is a big NO. 

In other words, you can buy her comfortable shoes if you want to help but beyond that, not much. 

• Like 2

A few months ago, in Pratumnak, a British man lifted a box off food of the back of a truck and took it into his wife's shop. A matter of a few paces.  Immigration  officer sitting  in the next door restaurant 'arrested' him and 50k was required to drop  charges.

Subsequently after complaints, senior  IOs returned 30k and apologised saying the original  officers had not been working lawfully.

It looks like the shop owners had made an enemy of a  local who had tipped off friends in Immigration to make trouble for the couple.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norfolkandchance said:

Wasn’t the Pilot a Thai. Could be mistaken !

Nope, English 747 cargo pilot. Sometimes airline pilot long-haul. Not saying more on him.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You ‘read’ this, or heard it in a bar ?....  was the guy ex special forces ?

IF read, read where?...  i.e. some bar-stool expert made up the story on this forum ?

That is in fact correct...  A foreigner cannot work here unless work permitted and meets all the requirement that come with that, but those who say you’ll be arrested for painting your own house because you are taking that job away from a Thai are really over 'egging the pudding’.... 

Helping out at your Wife’s noodles store will be a matter of ‘visibility’... 

Serving customers of course a no-no....  But I imagine such shops require a fair bit of food prep, you could help there and not be overtly visible.

No one is as bothered as some ‘wannabe-lawyer-foreigners' like to make out...  laws are hardly if ever enforced unless the foreigner acts out and upsets some locals etc.

Do what you think is reasonable... The plate story is one of those silly myths. 

I don’t think getting fully legal is viable - Wife would need to set up a tax paying business and employ 4 Thai’s per foreigner in order apply for a WP - it just gets a bit silly. 

The plate story might not be a silly myth - it was reported on these (Thai Visa) forums maybe 5 years ago and resulted in considerable discussion. At no point was there any suggestion it was a "wind-up" or fake incident, location in Pattaya I believe.

Go to the local police in the area where you have your noodle shop.

Explain your age and just wanting to help out.

They may give you permission, worth a try.

I think it will all depend on where you are located.

In Isaan seems these regulations about work permits no one cares so much.

3 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

OP... Whatever you do, do not do this !!!

IF you want to help out your wife, then do so, but fly under the radar... What you do not do is flag yourself to the very people who ‘could’ extort you and your wife for you illegally working helping.

• Like 1

A few months ago.......hmmmm.

Many years ago a falang was walking and picked up a rock in the street.  This was a pet rock and he was arrested, 100k fine, and deported.   His friend took pictures without a work permit, and was arrested.  His other friend brought the pet rock back to its owner and was arrested for working without a work permit.

Don't believe the legends, but you do need a work permit.   You will get videotaped, put on Facebook, and you won't win by taking a job that a Thai can do.   

I've helped Thais take boxes off trucks, zero problems.  Helped sell stuff in shops, zero problems.  I'm sure you can do something once or a few times, but beyond that and it's obvious you have a job.   

37 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

It have nothing to do with the local police to do! It have all to do with immigration, and nobody else. Immigration can react on notification or planned visits in the area, or to inspect if husband live with his wife.

16 minutes ago, Hummin said:

It have nothing to do with the local police to do! It have all to do with immigration, and nobody else. Immigration can react on notification or planned visits in the area, or to inspect if husband live with his wife.

Do you think immigration is out walking around arresting people? Come on man.

With 66,000,000+ population, how may immigration officers are out walking around inspecting noodle shops?

I have never seen 1 in our area ever.

How many areas in Thailand are there that have NO immigration offices?

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

OP... Whatever you do, do not do this !!!

IF you want to help out your wife, then do so, but fly under the radar... What you do not do is flag yourself to the very people who ‘could’ extort you and your wife for you illegally working helping.

In areas where the are no immigration offices, the police are the ones making the decisions.

We have a very good relationship with the very few police in our area.

I would NOT hesitate to ask them, however there are farangs working all over Isaan where I have traveled.

You ASK before YOU start working? Is that so hard to understand?

Kind of hard for them to extort you, once they give you permission.

Sounds like you are only familiar with one story.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

A few months ago.......hmmmm.

Many years ago a falang was walking and picked up a rock in the street.  This was a pet rock and he was arrested, 100k fine, and deported.   His friend took pictures without a work permit, and was arrested.  His other friend brought the pet rock back to its owner and was arrested for working without a work permit.

Don't believe the legends, but you do need a work permit.   You will get videotaped, put on Facebook, and you won't win by taking a job that a Thai can do.   

I've helped Thais take boxes off trucks, zero problems.  Helped sell stuff in shops, zero problems.  I'm sure you can do something once or a few times, but beyond that and it's obvious you have a job.   

The other day a car broke down in the road. I got out of my truck, with other Thai's and helped push it to the side of the road.

No, immigration did not arrest me for working without a work permit.

Then we all went and had some beers.

It is odd posters on TV will tell stories of things they heard one time, when there are 66 ,000,000 people here and fear that story like it is the end of the world.

You have a higher percentage chance of getting turned in by a jealous expat, who is jealous you are making a few baht and he isn't!

1 hour ago, KIngsofisaan said:

In areas where the are no immigration offices, the police are the ones making the decisions.

Every province in Thailand has an immigration office. 

We have a very good relationship with the very few police in our area.

How do you know that ?... you meet a policeman, wave and he waves back ?

Police are generally fine and nothing to be frightened off, but give them a chance to make money and there you go... 

I would NOT hesitate to ask them, however there are farangs working all over Isaan where I have traveled.

Then you’d be a food..

I bet the foreigners working didn’t go to a police station and ask if they can work without a work permit. 

They just got on with it and kept quiet about it. 

You ASK before YOU start working? Is that so hard to understand?

Only an naive idiot would give the police a tip-off....  Is that so hard to understand?

(rhetorical.. seems it is !)

Kind of hard for them to extort you, once they give you permission.

Good luck getting that written permission that works for immigration too.

Sounds like you are only familiar with one story.

Sounds like you have just stepped foot in Thailand and have no idea or are one of thee naive feckless pensioners wondering around as if the world is wonderful and peachy... 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cliveshep said:

I seem to recall that it was a felang who was cooking food in a his own restaurant in the morning . 

He claims he was cooking his own breakfast .

Maybe it was his own breakfast or maybe it was a customers' breakfast that he was cooking ?