Is Pattaya really cheaper than Phuket ?

3 hours ago, Kenchamp said:

And if you do rent or own a scooter you will also be "systematically raped" by the Phuket cops who set up checkpoints all over the place targeting farangs

Not if you are wearing a helmet, have the correct licence for the vehicle you are driving, and you vehicle is insured.  But yes, make no mistake, the RTP in Phuket at the moment are like a pack of starving wolves.  The money to pay for the gik and her fortuna has to come from somewhere.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

This info may be out of date now.

The only thing I noticed that was cheaper in Phuket was rent for a house that had a small garden.

You can still get these for around 10k to 13k per month. Everything else was cheaper, especially restaurant food.

• Like 2

Phuket is definitely prettier than Pattaya, let’s be honest, the hills the seaside and there are still cleaner beaches than Pattaya. Of course 20+ years ago it was better, everywhere was!  The real phuket people , not the taxi wolves and jet ski scammers, are as nice as all other Thai people. I lived 20 long winters in Phuket . Loved it. Discovered Pattaya out of curiosity, and found the weather suited me much better there . Also, many supermarkets all over Pattaya with great choice and clean. Then there is the lack of public transport on Phuket. In Pattaya, I could hop on a bus and be in my supermarket for 20 Baht.  It was eventually the cooler , drier. weather that made me move. 
ive just been to Phuket January and February. It was terribly hot and quite stormy. I won’t go back to live there. Instead I’ll take a weeks holiday there now and again. 
im not sure that Phuket is more expensive rent wise. It was cheaper because of Covid.  You have a larger choice of condos with pool in Pattaya. Buying ? Would never do it. I like to be free to move. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Indeed,I’m not a budget traveller looking for 600 baht rooms. 2 months ago I got a huge 1 bed apartment on 16th floor overlooking Karon beach which for 1600 night (£40) is way better than what you could get in Europe. Many restaurants are very reasonably priced - again I’m not looking for 50 baht main courses. Also I went on speedboat tours to Similans and phi phi which I thought very reasonably priced. I drove down (1 overnight stop ).The fact is I wanted decent beaches (Pattaya has none) and snorkeling and being a non drinker I couldn’t comment on bar prices. Of course Phuket will be more expensive but in absolute terms it certainly isn’t. Fact is Pattaya has nothing of what I want and an Andaman sea island does - and I like the sights on them drive down . Diesel is 1/3rd the price of Europe. CONTEXT…,

well said. Still in the south, you could find much of what you seem to look for in Krabi/Lanta, at more reasonable rates than the main Phuket places.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Phuket was once an ok place to be.  I had a penthouse in Patong, a very large property in Phuket town and a double house in a gated community in Chern Talay.  I have lived in Phuket.  

All of the coral gardens on the island are now completely destroyed.  The sea water around the Island has a thermo nuclear fecal coliform count.  Prior to Covid, and based on road deaths per capita, Thepkassatri Road (the main rood down the center of the island) was statisically the most dangerous place on earth. 

Phuket has become marginally more livable in the tourist vacuum that was created by covid.  The environment thereabouts (and particularly the marine enviroment) took a big collective sigh of relief.  The roads are a little less dangerous because the chinese tourist buses have gone and there are less cement trucks (I personally witnessed young pregnant woman get crushed by one of these, in front of her husband, many moons ago).

Phuket is no longer a natural beauty.  She has suffered from decades of violent gang rape and is now a battered and grotesque toothless hag.

You are basically saying, with various rants some of which are unfounded, that Phuket was better in terms of natural beauty 20 years ago. Really? Who would have guessed.