Thailand looks at easing visa rules in bid to boost tourism

webfact

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Backpackers stay for 2 to 3 months easy. Malaysia and sing give 90 days.

Semi retired people want 90 days. Even if young work 9 mths holiday for 3!

It sucks flying anywhere overseas.

If 90 days many would go.

I surfaced travelled from Darwin to London a million years ago.  All of the visas back then were minimum of 90 days I think.  It was certainly enough time to travel on broken down third world buses.

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Easing visa costs like done in 2010/2011 would be good for many wanting to come on a true Visa for more than 30 days.  It was nice nit to pay when I applied at the Los Angeles Thai Consulate back then for my Non Imm O visa.

I don't have a problem with the visa fees but rather the idiotic requirements that comes with it.

45 days would basically eliminate the need for a visa.

1 hour ago, Robin said:

if you are going to make a life in Thailand; i.e, settle down and buy a property, spend money on car etc., then you want stability and assurance that you can stay, and come and go as you want without jumping through hoops like Thai Pass and quarantine insurance.

Long term visas, like Retirement do at least require a minimum wealth and this requirement is easily enforced.

Making genuine tourists spend lots of money, a long term dream of TAT is not easy when there is nothing for them to spend on.

if the old model of Bars, Massage, and Girls is not acceptable as the image of Thailand, then What?

Most people know that Thailand is not a good place to retire. 

Nothing wrong with Thailand, but you would never pick it as a retirement destination.

• Like 1
  • Confused 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Robin said:

What is wrong with going back to the pre-Covid model?  it more or less worked and made Thailand money

The country had been in a state of decline for a good few years prior to covid.

Covid is however the perfect excuse for all their problems

If they planned things correctly they could come out on top but as we can see they're making a mess of it.

Edited by ukrules
  • Thanks 1

Visa free for all put forward by industry meeting hosted by Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT)

by Carla Boonkong & Pranee O' Connor

image.jpeg

Governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Yuthasak Supasorn hosted a meeting of foreign tourism industry representatives on Friday at which a wide range of plans was approved to be put to the government as a way to boost the inward flow of foreign tourists in the last half of the year as Thailand banks on the recovery of the industry to drive economic growth in 2022. The plans involved extending the visa-on-arrival scheme to all countries with the trade still recommending the retention of vaccine and health status certification as part of the entry process.

The proposals from the meeting which ranged from declaring Thailand mask-free outdoors to eliminating temperature checks on arrival, come as the kingdom’s foreign tourism numbers appear to be climbing with some industry insiders suggesting the tourism authority’s target of 8 million visitors this year may be surpassed and a figure of up to 15 million seen by the end of 2022. However, a fly in the ointment may still be the proposed retention of a requirement to show the health status of arrivals and medical cover which will still leave the kingdom at a disadvantage to its competitors and would probably lead to more difficulties than retaining the Thailand Pass application.

On Friday, the Governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Yuthasak Supasorn appeared to endorse a range of proposals including the extension of the visa on arrival concession to all countries, a waiver of all visa fees for 6 months from July 1st and an extension of the stay on tourist visas for incoming travellers, from 30 to 45 days.

The meeting also endorsed an earlier call from the Minister of Tourism and Sports Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn for the abolition of the Thailand Pass application although it appeared to accept the need still for tourists to show proof of vaccination or health status before entering the kingdom and to have confirmed medical health insurance. The proposal to grant a visa free for all is, however, bound to face scrutiny from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs which in August 2019 opposed a similar move for both India and China at cabinet which ultimately saw it scrapped and replaced with visa fee waivers.

Full story: https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2022/06/12/visa-free-for-all-plan-to-boost-tourism/

Tex.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Examiner 2022-06-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, garyk said:

Most people know that Thailand is not a good place to retire. 

Nothing wrong with Thailand, but you would never pick it as a retirement destination.

Suggestions for a place that has same cost, medical and visa options??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The idea of a backpacker being the stock photo of a loser on Khao Sarn Rd is an urban myth. The large majority spend a lot more in 60-90 days then a lot of posters who complain about them sitting in Naka nowhere and don't see or meet them ever. I'm in Rachatewi in BKK 1/2 the year near lots of attractive well kept NOT dirt cheap hostels. Have spoken to " backpackers" from USA, England , Canada,Switzerland and France just on my last visit alone. They spend a lot of baht and for whatever reason ALL of them seem very intelligent and have real future plans for their lives. Everyone would like a simple 90 day stamp on arrival just like a lot of us get in many many countries around Asia and the world. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, EricTh said:

The other flipside is that it will attract those backpackers/visa runners with hardly any money to stay longer in Thailand.

It's good to extend the visa exemption but make sure that they distinguish true tourists from those visa-runners who want to stay long-term in Thailand on a shoestring budget.

Why not reintroduce the minimum amount of cash requirement? 

Back packers still spend money . by eating, drinking , staying in hotels , transport etc

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Get rid of the Thailand pas first, then leave the nightclubs and bars open until 4 am, last but not least make the price for wine again affordable.

Maybe after that you can think about visa extension.

Why to pût a closing time for nightclubs? I would say no closing time, freedom ! And propose 3 and 6 months visa+ extension 3 months for not more than 1900 baht ! Do not make any difference anymore for visa extension (30 days) if crossing border by land, by foot, cycle or plane !!

And stop, forbid the practice of dual pricing as a law, beginning by national parks , attractions etc !

Edited by cedel

I don't follow their thinking here.  Outside of myself, who has a Thai wife, and a couple of other Canucks with Thai wives,  no one has ever come here for more than 3 weeks.  They all came on the cheap, had a good time, went home because they have jobs and homes and other responsibilities to take care of.  My brother and his wife did the 30 day thing, had a great time, spent almost nothing, and have never been back. But they did say 30 days may have been a bit long. They are pretty typical of the Thai tourists I know from Canada and my UK friends and family are about the same.  

11 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

I'd rather spend the evening with a moneyless hippy than with a banker on vacation.  

Well up to a point I agree with you but you may have second thoughts about this one

https://www.businessinsider.com/a-female-financier-writes-in-to-the-ft-am-i-too-beautiful-to-be-a-banker-2011-3

models-brunette-blonde

Edited by Excel

8 minutes ago, WinterGael said:

I don't follow their thinking here.  Outside of myself, who has a Thai wife, and a couple of other Canucks with Thai wives,  no one has ever come here for more than 3 weeks.  They all came on the cheap, had a good time, went home because they have jobs and homes and other responsibilities to take care of.  My brother and his wife did the 30 day thing, had a great time, spent almost nothing, and have never been back. But they did say 30 days may have been a bit long. They are pretty typical of the Thai tourists I know from Canada and my UK friends and family are about the same.  

Do you think your circle of family and friends make up the World view? I know many people like myself who do 60 days Thailand, 60 days home country for 6 months a year in Thailand.

Now I can do 75 days at a time

• Like 2