British biker, 83, is killed in a horror crash in Thailand after car pulls out in front of him

webfact

2 hours ago, 10baht said:

Screw you, every one is different. the reflexes of the woman driver is the one you should question. I know 70+ guy with reflexes better than 30 year old guys and vise versa.

Yes, everybody is different and you react mentally like a 12 year old. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

It seems strange that the motorcycles mainstand is engaged but might be the result of a rapid deceleration due to striking the other vehicle. Whatever, it is a sad ending for a man who had lived over 8 decades. RIP

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

It seems strange that the motorcycles mainstand is engaged but might be the result of a rapid deceleration due to striking the other vehicle. Whatever, it is a sad ending for a man who had lived over 8 decades. RIP

Well, it seems strange that the motorcycle is ‘perfectly’ upside down... Or does, it... 

Just the coincidental outcome of a collision... as is the unfortunate manner in which the deceased landed on the roof of the vehicle then seemed to land very awkwardly on the ground... 

...the centre stand obviously extending on impact and flipping.. 

3 hours ago, 10baht said:

Screw you, every one is different. the reflexes of the woman driver is the one you should question. I know 70+ guy with reflexes better than 30 year old guys and vise versa.

Extremely doubtful...  but if you were able to test the reactions, any 70 year old with faster reactions than a 30 year old would be a statistical outlier... thats just age, its inevitable and nothing to get upset about... 

Discussing such matters is not ‘ageist’ as some people are pointing out, its just reality.

Surviving an incident comes down to many things...  starting with reaction and avoidance, experience and prediction, experience and how to avoid (i.e. avoiding object fixation etc), then again, experience and how to brake, braking while avoiding, whether to brake at all etc..    

... then there is the surviving of impact, agility... physicality,.. and then there is simple dumb luck.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:
3 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

All bikers would tell you they are are the most excellent Riders Since ages.

Know many that rode 30+ years on police bikes and never had a mishap.

I've never had a mishap... and never had a mishap in Thailand... that could change tomorrow and I never let myself forget that when riding in the city. 

As soon as we approach speeds where we can’t stop extremely quickly, i.e. outside of the city when going faster in on the open road we are at far greater mercy of other drivers pulling out.. it happens here, it also happens anywhere, some drivers just do not ’see’ the motorbike when they look.... 

One thing is for sure...  The numbers of accidents in the UK with riders wearing high-vis jackets is less than those without... and thats because they look like policeman at first glance, even the subconscious notices....

In Thailand I’ve noticed the subconscious notice something else. 

When riding a ‘larger bike’ I notice that I have greater road presence... other cars give way more readily etc. When riding a ’scooter’ I’m just another somchai and am treated as such by other road users (i.e. without any degree of curtesy which may have been present on a larger bike)...  riding a smaller bike seems more dangerous but ultimately easier in the traffic to get through gridlock etc. 

And, that ’noticeability’ (which I’ll call road presence to the subconscious) also occurs with cars.... I noticed the very same difference when driving tiny car vs a large 4x4. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've never had a mishap... and never had a mishap in Thailand... that could change tomorrow and I never let myself forget that when riding in the city. 

As soon as we approach speeds where we can’t stop extremely quickly, i.e. outside of the city when going faster in on the open road we are at far greater mercy of other drivers pulling out.. it happens here, it also happens anywhere, some drivers just do not ’see’ the motorbike when they look.... 

One thing is for sure...  The numbers of accidents in the UK with riders wearing high-vis jackets is less than those without... and thats because they look like policeman at first glance, even the subconscious notices....

In Thailand I’ve noticed the subconscious notice something else. 

When riding a ‘larger bike’ I notice that I have greater road presence... other cars give way more readily etc. When riding a ’scooter’ I’m just another somchai and am treated as such by other road users (i.e. without any degree of curtesy which may have been present on a larger bike)...  riding a smaller bike seems more dangerous but ultimately easier in the traffic to get through gridlock etc. 

And, that ’noticeability’ (which I’ll call road presence to the subconscious) also occurs with cars.... I noticed the very same difference when driving tiny car vs a large 4x4. 

Well, no doubt about it that it's very risky here riding a bike.

So If you take the risk here you face death every minute.

Not surprising If someone bite the dust though it's very sad.

But again, it's up to you......drive a solid car and survive or riding a bike and risk your life.

5 hours ago, mahtin said:

Bailed out of the UK in 1981, but remember a "Think Bike" TV campaign with frequent shorts promoting the need for ordinary car drivers to be extra aware of Bike riders when pulling out of a secondary road.

Not expecting Thailand to do anything like that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t think its so much blindly defending the British as it is opposing the blind stupidity in some of your comments.... 

Hope we get to hear the result of the investigation into the case, but probably not as usual. However, that would not have any bearing on you people, as you would only dismiss it as bad work of dumb people, right?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wagga said:

"Racing helmet. Racing bike. Guy was speeding".

You are a misleading false news instigator.

See, how much focus it is on my wrongly wording "race". If we focus on what is important instead. Speeding, that is! Then we have to ask ourselves, two things.

Is it possible to be speeding on that kind of bike? YES!

Is it possible he was speeding? YES!

As a last thing, about the helmet. It was good that he had one, right? Like race or no race. Only sad that did not help him.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Another nonsense post  why do you do it,? have you been smoking cannabis now that its legal ?

Why do I do it? Because all I have been posting is a possibility.

Regarding the post you quoted, that is a well known British reaction regarding many many things.

At last, That, I did long before legalization.

22 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

RIP Keith.. Nice guy with decades of ride experience.. 

Theres a certain level of basic road user ignorance that no amount of defensive driving can avoid. 

Agreed, i think an improved driver training  scheme would help 

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Why do I do it? Because all I have been posting is a possibility.

Regarding the post you quoted, that is a well known British reaction regarding many many things.

At last, That, I did long before legalization.

Its a common to most nationalities  Thais are a perfect example

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, actonion said:

How many times in Thailand have you been riding/driving along a main carriagway  then a Thai  on a Bike or Car  pulls out from a side turning  without even looking at oncoming traffic, and doesnt bother to pick up speed causing the flow of traffic to brake, i know in my  case of 20 plus years here it happens all too often....why......because zero road,  ( any)    sense 

I've never seen a Thai do that ...

... in the Americas, as the only other countries I've ever driving in.

I've only noticed Americans, inclusive, of driving, sometimes, not as others wished they did.  Who hasn't driven, and pulled out in front of someone, and thought to themselves ... "oops, sorry"

Almost 6 pages of Thai bashing, assumed, when nobody knows exactly what happen.  I just want to know, how the scooter landed upside down.  Now that is quite the feat.

DISCLAIMER:  did not read all 6 pages, as first 10 comments were enough to set the stage.

R I P

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

You are referring to CHINESE women? Or just women in general?

Personally I don't think Chinese is relevant with the story why was it even brought up?   Since it has I would like to hear more of her background.

It is as if her being Chinese is the reason for the accident to deflect as if it was a Thai the accidently would never have happen????

Why do Westerner's risk their lives sharing the roads on motor cycles with these idiots?

Answer: due to financial reasons.

A wealthy motor cycle enthusiast would stick to tracks, trails etc.

If you ride on these roads sorry to hear that you moved here without enough finances.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Wrwest said:

Granted a "tank" is best but ... it is not the age but the mental quickness in being able to anticipate and adjust. With his riding background, I would guess, along with the police finding of fault, he had little, if any ability to avoid the accident. Sad ... I love riding my Aerox and plan to continue to continue at age 75. I acknowledge that each of us must have all the synapsis firing all the time while driving here.

If you look at statistics , 2 wheeler are the biggest casuality on Thai Roads so Car is the best way to trave on Thai roads. Relatively that is.

The Issue of Road Safety in Thailand (arcgis.com)

Unsurprisingly, an estimated 70%-85% of road traffic-incidents in Thailand involved a motorcycle. Since motorcycles are much cheaper than cars, many young adults drive - often without receiving proper training and obtaining a license. Additionally, it was reported by the World Health Organization that just over half of motorcycle drivers wore helmets and only 20% of their passengers used helmets while on the road.

18 hours ago, dave moir said:

A car is never your best friend on Thai roads! They don't give a <deleted> about you if you ride a motorcycle ????️

agree but driving a 2 wheel is far more dangerous than a Car.

Unsurprisingly, an estimated 70%-85% of road traffic-incidents in Thailand involved a motorcycle. Since motorcycles are much cheaper than cars, many young adults drive - often without receiving proper training and obtaining a license. Additionally, it was reported by the World Health Organization that just over half of motorcycle drivers wore helmets and only 20% of their passengers used helmets while on the road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Its a common to most nationalities  Thais are a perfect example

Yep, that´s the way to go. Defending until the bitter end. ????

In some kind of way, it just looks like you unknowingly made yourself a poster boy for my opinion. ???? 

Edited by Gottfrid

13 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

As a biker in Thailand, cars are your second worst danger after trucks. 

I disagree, as I expect humans to do something stupid, and drive very defensively, worldwide.

When on my scooter, it's the dogs & monkeys that worry me, as may cut across my path without warning, completely unexpected, if seeing something of interest on the other side of the road.

Defensive driving is the key.  Notice all those pick up trucks loaded down with wares, coconuts, pineapples plowing the motorways, avoiding the left hand lane, along with many other trucks.   Knowing they are traveling at speed, and won't be able to stop on a sip baht, if someone should suddenly appear in their lane. 

Thai drivers simply driving defensively, annoying as it can be sometimes, when you are trying to cruise at that 120 kph limit.

Nobody in there right mind cruises at speed in the left lane, or hugs the left side of that lane, especially if passing market area or side street.  That uncommon common sense again.