Mechanic on motorcycle in lucky escape after getting entangled in hanging wires

webfact

10pm.jpg

Naew Na Thai Caption: Take responsibility - unfortunate guy cheats death on motorcycle after getting tangled in wires

Thailand's infamous hanging wires are in the news again after they nearly killed a motorcycle mechanic in Rayong.

Naew Na went to the area where they found a tangled mess hanging from lamp posts on a road in Pluak Daeng.

They met Pongsathorn Kaewpho, 32, who said the wires were not hanging on an outward journey he made on Tuesday but they were on his return to the bike shop and he didn't see them in time.

He got bruising around his neck but was otherwise uninjured. Fortunately he wasn't going fast and he didn't come off his vehicle.

But he has now filed a police report with the Pluak Daeng cops and wants those responsible for the wires to get their act together. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-06-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, huangnon said:

With all the roadworks on the Sukumvit into Rayong, there are wires and cables hanging down at main intersections. I drive through a couple just going to work..

It is a bloody mess and really needs sorting out asap.

It's all over Thailand, I find myself ducking and weaving on many roads where I live North of CM.

I had a couple hanging over my driveway last year for a couple days had to duck to walk onto the road,

No problem ,got insulated side cutters and removed them.

They were rerouted the next day on the right hight again. ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Pluak Daeng cops and wants those responsible for the wires to get their act together. 

This is the issue.... 

... wants those responsible to get their act together....  ‘get there act together’... thats all ?

How about some charges, some penalties, some accountability and responsibility for those who allow such lazy work and dangerous results >????

The ineffectiveness and apathy of Thai Policing continues to enable the continued slack safety standards throughout the nation....    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

22+ yrs here and I've yet had to duck for a wire or have one come near my head on a scooter, or touch the roof of my cars.

hmm...

What’s the point of your comment ??

Are you implying that contrary to multiple news reports each month that hanging wires are not a problem because you haven't had an issue with them ?

All those reports of motorcyclists getting garrotted and killed by hanging wires made up ???...  :whistling:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1258295-surin-motorcyclist-killed-after-neck-becomes-entangled-in-hanging-wires/

https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/dangling-wires-cause-injury-in-samut-prakan-motorbike-crash

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/electricity-cable-snatched-a-man-off-his-motorbike

https://www.samuitimes.com/hanging-wires-another-motorcyclist-strangled-to-death/

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/female-motorcyclists-throat-slit-by-low-hanging-cable-in-thailand

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/01/20/2-tourists-swept-off-road-by-loose-cable/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is the issue.... 

... wants those responsible to get their act together....  ‘get there act together’... thats all ?

How about some charges, some penalties, some accountability and responsibility for those who allow such lazy work and dangerous results >????

The ineffectiveness and apathy of Thai Policing continues to enable the continued slack safety standards throughout the nation....    

Nobody in Thailand really cares about anything. Apathy Central, be it hanging wires that kill, doing a that'll do job instead of doing it properly as they have no pride in what they do, safety of kids riding to school in unsafe vehicles or on motorbikes they are too young and weak to be able to properly control, the police of course the ringleaders of not doing anything about anything except making sure no-one has a beer in their hand at one minute past midnight.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What’s the point of your comment ??

Are you implying that contrary to multiple news reports each month that hanging wires are not a problem because you haven't had an issue with them ? :whistling:

Didn't imply it doesn't happen, as you point out, it does.

But ... these comments, seem a bit OTT ... or I'm just really lucky.

Maybe time for me to buy lottery tickets.

"It's all over Thailand, I find myself ducking and weaving"

"there are wires and cables hanging down at main intersections. I drive through a couple just going to work.. It is a bloody mess and really needs sorting out asap."

31 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Didn't imply it doesn't happen, as you point out, it does.

But ... these comments, seem a bit OTT ... or I'm just really lucky.

Maybe time for me to buy lottery tickets.

"It's all over Thailand, I find myself ducking and weaving"

"there are wires and cables hanging down at main intersections. I drive through a couple just going to work.. It is a bloody mess and really needs sorting out asap."

Fair enough....  But, it does seem to occur at a disproportionately elevated level compared to many of our home countries.... It occurs such that it is one of the things I’m on high alert for whenever riding my motorcycle. 

Power cuts are also not exactly uncommon when a ‘large lorry’ snags one of those hanging wires and brings down the poles in a domino effect.

So.. ‘all over, ducking and weaving’.....   not all the time, but I have found myself with a wire snagged on my bike (luckily going very slowly down the side of traffic) and I have found myself ducking out of the way and dodging the odd hanging cable while walking down the pavement (sidewalk). 

I’m not so sure the comments are over the top... the issue certainly is over the top considering this is something that would be considered extreme with severe consequences for those responsible and accountable in many of the countries we come from. 

We live in a fairly modern village estate, with a designated site for the village transformers.   The cables are hanging everywhere from and around the transformers.  When a cable leading to a few houses stops working, they just install a new one and leave the old one hanging. Similarly with internet cables, old ones are replaced with new, but the old ones are never removed. 

Repair work is often carried out by leaning a bamboo ladder against the cables hanging from one post to another and climbing up to sort things out.  Things would no doubt be considered a lot safer if they hung up a "Health and Safety" sign first. ????

Hopefully, nobody will be killed or injured by these hanging wires, assuming they (the cables) are no longer live, but the result is a mess and an eyesore.

None of the contractors seem to have any pride in their work and this seems to be echoed by much of the electrical work in the roads outside.

1 hour ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

None of the contractors seem to have any pride in their work and this seems to be echoed by much of the electrical work in the roads outside.

There is also no thought beyond now...  immediately now, fastest and easiest fix without any regard of consideration to the immediate or long term future.

This is not at all limited to Thai’s, labourers everywhere have exactly the same attitude ‘<deleted> given’ range in the negative to zero...   Its difficult to change that without effective supervision. 

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

22+ yrs here and I've yet had to duck for a wire or have one come near my head on a scooter, or touch the roof of my cars.

hmm...

Aren't you lucky, or an MG midget.........????.............????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Anant72 said:

Third world mentality: no responsibility, no law enforcement, fatalism (karma and the like) and recklessness. A dreadful cocktail that kills thousands everyday in this country.

Of course they are dangerous in some locations and certainly an eyesore. However they have always been here so anybody getting tangled up was  not being very observant or quite possibly had been looking at their phone perhaps

On 6/16/2022 at 8:06 PM, richard_smith237 said:

There is also no thought beyond now...  immediately now, fastest and easiest fix without any regard of consideration to the immediate or long term future.

This is not at all limited to Thai’s, labourers everywhere have exactly the same attitude ‘<deleted> given’ range in the negative to zero...   Its difficult to change that without effective supervision. 

They only do things the way they've seen them done. Training doesn't really exist. If a company gets a contract to do a job locally they hire who they can locally for as little as they can get away with.

On 6/16/2022 at 4:29 PM, KhunLA said:

hmm...

Me neither, though I did have to duck once when a JCB with its bucket half up suddenly came out of a side road. Slightly unnerving at first but I did lol after. 

• Like 2

Plenty of road hazards out there, and one really has to drive defensively, and be aware of everything in front and to the side of them.  Even checking that rear view, when slowing down.  Always allow yourself an avenue of escape, if possible.

Just hanging wires 'everywhere' isn't one I've notice, to the point of ducking on my scooter, or worrying about the antenna on a car being taken out.

Not saying there aren't plenty of, and seen enough vids of trucks taking out wires, along with losing electric out in the village for same reason.   Some sugar trucks have a rider atop the load with a bamboo pole for a reason.

Other hazards are more of a concern; deep pot holes on the road at night, that black cow laying in the road at night.   Non illuminated road hazard warning at night.   One time they resurfaced a local road, and simply put barrels on the one side to warn people not to proceed.  Fine during the day.  Barrels stained black with tar at night time, didn't work well.  Damn near killed one resident, and took him years to recover from brain surgery.

Myself broke a mag on my scooter hitting a deep pot hole so hard at night, and broke a section of.  How I didn't wipe out was amazing, and almost became a Christine again, that 'God is Co-pilot' thingy ????  Part my fault, as was overdriving the headlight.

I've hit some massive pot holes in the car at night on unfamiliar road, and shutter to think if I was on a motorbike and didn't know they were there.  I replace 2 struts / shocks in cars while living here, because of.  Something that never happened 30 yrs driving in USA. 

I won't even drive motorbike at night any more, and not even locally.

Be safe out there.