Officials worried tourists could infect Hua Hin macaques with monkeypox

webfact

2 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

So, what's it going to be, roadblocks around Hua Hin to check tourists are carrying condoms!

'Monkeypox spreads in different ways. The virus can spread from person-to-person through: direct contact with the infectious rash, scabs, or body fluids. respiratory secretions during prolonged, face-to-face contact, or during intimate physical contact, such as kissing, cuddling, or sex.'

I particularly like the 'kissing, cuddling' part of monkey contact, although my rashes and scabs also need picking by the monkeys, that's fun also.

Worry about the monkeys and not people, especially the tourists. That is what I see them as saying! Poor monkeys crammed in that cage!  Ooh, I almost forgot, "And please spend your money here, lots of money, that's ok!"

Edited by bstafford214
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chalawaan said:

Here's an idea, get the animals re-distributed in remote habitat sanctuaries where they belong, far from tourists, and wean them off reliance on humans for food.

But that would require common sense thinking and planning using leadership and brains, that too much work to do something that makes sense!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

Bar fine them??

i just wish the WHO would rename this Pox virus...poor monkeys being ridiculed and joked about..after all they caught it from probably a small rodent and were found to be POS back in 1970.

19 hours ago, 2long said:

"tourists could infect Hua Hin macaques with monkeypox"

???????? ???? ????????????????????

That's probably more believable than the story tourists will be concocting to explain how they got super gonorrhea in Thailand.

• Haha 1

I guess that making Cannabis legal, has led to some people being a little over enthusiastic with the stuff.

Since legalisation, we are now subjected to so many of these kind of ludicrous statements.

Never mind ! The World needs to laugh more.

• Haha 2

Lots of snarky remarks from several uninformed people on the probable cause of monkeypox are hilariously misleading.

People here who were quite willing to believe Covid came from bats in a Chinese wet market are also forgetting that the origin of HIV/AIDS has been linked to chimpanzees.

I can hear people here thinking, "Rabies? From animals? Hah! A likely story". Many diseases have unexpected origins but trying to laugh them off doesn't mean they aren't true. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3234451/

Lots of diseases were passed to people from animals. Here is a list.

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/animal/zoo/index.html

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr. Wanchai said his department is not overly concerned about the threat of monkeypox. He said the main concern is that local macaques may become infected with the disease from tourists visiting Hua Hin.

Well that really is a nice welcome to Thailand...

I wonder if Mr> Wanchai has ever heard of "foot and mouth" disease?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Here's an idea, get the animals re-distributed in remote habitat sanctuaries where they belong, far from tourists, and wean them off reliance on humans for food.

That's the only correct solution.

But it will take some time to understand.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

That is a good one. The joke of the day. Humans infecting monkeys with monkeypox. What is next? Cancer is contagious? Brain cells lost from kissing? Women getting pregnant from getting felt up? 

Soon they invent the "barpox".

All farangs banned from bars and thai ladies.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Soon they invent the "barpox".

All farangs banned from bars and thai ladies.

Many seem to have acclimated to an "emergency situation" and don't want to let it go. Maybe an attraction to drama? Especially the officials. Helps the highly unpopular desperados to cling to power. And likely the CDC, WHO and Big Pharma for sure. If it does not exist invent it! 

• Like 2