Two-year-old child brutally attacked by dog in South Pattaya, has over 200 stitches

webfact

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

I have a dog....he is collared 100% of the time. At home he has a two acre secure garden to pad around in (DW there) and he is never allowed out unless on a lead.

Strangers, children in particular, are not allowed to pet him......just in case....he has never bitten anyone and is good natured....but I don't trust him or any other dog.

If I walk him locally I carry a police baton due to the number of house dogs that are allowed to roam freely (no collars of course) and are frequently threatening.

It seems that 99% of people don't think and couldn't care less if their dog attacks you.

I always carry a telescopic baton with me, because I don't trust them. Ive never had to use it, but i have raised it front of several dogs before. Generally they are smart enough to back off, but I'm fearful of a brave pack someday

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wytchend said:

I always carry a telescopic baton with me, because I don't trust them. Ive never had to use it, but i have raised it front of several dogs before. Generally they are smart enough to back off, but I'm fearful of a brave pack someday

Yes...exactly what I bought....recently had a couple of 'owned' dogs turn very aggressive right outside the owners front 'garden' (rubbish tip).

Had nothing to hand. Things calmed down, but next time it will be baton to the ready.

Only takes a split second and your life could be in real danger,

• Like 2

Going by the Photo in the FULL story it looks like a pit bull or staffy, both dangerous dogs.   I had a neighbour in OZ while I was living on a Cattle Station, he used to go out shooting 'Roos' one day he shot a Roo his staffy dog jumped off the back of his ute and viciously ripped it apart, he was so shocked, when he got home he shot the dog. His wife had recently given birth to a son, and that incident had freaked him out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Going by the Photo in the FULL story it looks like a pit bull or staffy, both dangerous dogs.   I had a neighbour in OZ while I was living on a Cattle Station, he used to go out shooting 'Roos' one day he shot a Roo his staffy dog jumped off the back of his ute and viciously ripped it apart, he was so shocked, when he got home he shot the dog. His wife had recently given birth to a son, and that incident had freaked him out.

Come the crunch they are all still part wild animals....okay if you have a toy poodle turn nasty......but big problems if a bull terrier turns. 

• Like 2

The most dangerous animals for humans are dogs. No other animals: lions, tigers, bulls, bears, wild boar, monkeys, sharks, crocodiles, snakes, venomous spiders even come close to the reported figures for dog attacks. 

In the USA there are 2,400 dog attacks every day, 100 each hour or one every 36 seconds. 

In the USA approximately 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs every year. Of these, nearly 885,000 seek medical care; 30,000 have reconstructive procedures; approximately 18% develop infections and between 10 and 20 fatalities occur. Other high-income countries such as Australia, Canada and France have comparable incidence and fatality rates.

More than 50 percent of all dog bite victims are children. The risk of injury to the head and neck is greater in children than in adults, adding to increased severity, necessity for medical treatment and death rates.

Dogs account for 76–94% of animal bite injuries and over 50% of animal-related injuries in people who are travelling.

An estimated 59,000 people die annually from rabies, and bites from rabid dogs account for the vast majority of these deaths.

There are no global estimates of dog bite incidence, however studies suggest that dog bites account for tens of millions of injuries annually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I sometimes walk a side soi where there are a good number of feral dogs. Sometimes they bark and approach me. I usually pick up a few rocks beforehand. If you forget, even just a throwing gesture will send them running. May not work all the time, but what the hey

I've been attacked twice here: once on a bike and once by a dog ran up behind and bit me on calf. Thought she knew me. I was just getting over dengue fever... maybe my smell changed?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fulhamster said:

Don't think it was a stray, it was inside a gated area.

But why was the gate left open ?

The gate to the home had reportedly been left open by accident after the trash had been taken out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shackleton said:

This subject of dogs attacking people  especially on bikes is never ending 

No action is taken to seriously to deter  the owners 

Huge fines Dogs put down even threats of going to prison 

I myself have been bitten 3 times when out on my bike ride which caused me 3 visits to the hospital get injections 

The dogs were street dogs 

Dogs will chase, and nip/bite if given the chance. I cycle a lot and meet lots of soi dogs.

Stop. Face them, and if you feel you need to, keep your bike between you and the dog. Trust me, if you face them down, they will not come and bite you ESPECIALLY if you have a bicycle that can be used as a weapon.

They will not attack you if you stop, but they will chase you if you flee. It's their instinct and I'm amazed at how many humans don't understand these creatures.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grain said:

In the USA there are 2,400 dog attacks every day.....

In the USA approximately 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs every year. Of these, nearly 885,000 seek medical care; 30,000 have reconstructive procedures; approximately 18% develop infections and between 10 and 20 fatalities occur. ..

Dogs account for 76–94% of animal bite injuries and over 50% of animal-related injuries in people who are travelling..

An estimated 59,000 people die annually from rabies, and bites from rabid dogs account for the vast majority of these deaths...

There are no global estimates of dog bite incidence, however...

But "There are no global estimates of dog bite incidence" ????????????

I'm not sure where you get your figures from then.

3 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Unfortunately is not the Buddha way my friend. These dogs are reincarnated friends and relatives.

Its true that fact can be stranger than fiction and no better place for this than Thailand . I do not pretend to be an expert on the Thai folks beliefs but I have been surprised by their customs a few times . Most Thai people are Buddhists and within their religion is their belief , not to harm or kill living creatures . Only yesterday there was a scorpion in my driveway walking towards my house entrance . My house keeper came out , took one look and ushered it down the driveway and away to the field beyond . There is also a pack of dogs in my soi that are scary but have befriended me and come into my garden but when a visitor comes all hell is let loose and they are beyond control . Just wish I had the answer to solve this .  Dogs without neck collars means that they are not owned and should be taken off the street and put in a secure compound until adopted by responsible owners . Furthermore all dog owners should be required by law to have a dog licence with one of the rules being that the dog must be kept within the confines of a house and when taken for a walk should be tethered and muzzled .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

And I saw 2 'domesticated'  pit bulls attack an alpha male soi dog and it was brutal, they worked as  team. There was plenty blood.. and this was close to Pattaya 2nd Rd, ie central. Such dogs especially, should not be able to get out.... I would not even own them.

I have to agree. I'm an avid dog lover, but certain breeds need to be slowly eradicated from society. The really do cause others to be tarred with the wrong brush.

• Like 1

Note this was not a stray dog but an owned dog, although as usual the alarm bells ring about stray dogs that generally do not approach people. This dog was doing what owned dogs do and protecting its owners property. The problem here is owners who allow their dogs to free roam. Statistically the vast majority of dog bites here are caused in this manner. Owners need to take responsibility and ensure their dogs are kept secure and exercise them responsibly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Will B Good said:

They don't care...arrogant, ignorant, lacking in empathy, plain stupid.....put in a mixer and blend for 16 years......(not aimed at Thais by the way)

Don't blame the dogs blame the owner of the dogs. When they were cute little pups they were like toys to the Thais but when they got older they ate too much and were set free. This kind of thinking needs to be changed and the fact there are so many dogs running free it's going to take some time.

• Like 2

Slightly off subject but may be of assistance to anyone encountering aggressive soi dogs.

Simply bend down as if to pick something off the ground it stops them in their tracks! It has worked for me on several occasions! I saw a Thai woman do it, it worked so I now use the same method.

• Like 1