What are you doing to ensure the integrity of the food supply for you and your family?

43 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If I to kill my own land critters, I couldn't do it.  Besides, I'd probably name them and play with them.

You haven't been in army I suppose? When the most built guy starting to get attention measured up and down and wondering how he taste ????

When you are starving, I promise you, you will eat their offspring. If not, you have never been hungry in your life for longer than a day or two

10 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You haven't been in army I suppose? When the most built guy starting to get attention measured up and down and wondering how he taste ????

When you are starving, I promise you, you will eat their offspring. If not, you have never been hungry in your life for longer than a day or two

Army yes, hungry, no ... very thankful about that.

Dirt poor growing up, but ate darn good ... everything else sucked though ????

The odds that the world is going to face some sort of food shortage is like saying the world is going to experience some silly pandemic that shuts down economies and travel for two years. Silly fear mongering.

In the event, however, that something bad happens, I did buy a large property in the EU with its own water source that sits about 100 meters higher than the arable land, so gravity works as the pump. It's also about 300 meters above the flatlands and rivers, so not a flood plain. About 18 inches of top soil and a nice stash of heirloom seeds suggest I might survive, provided I can get there. Wooded areas of the property have abundant wild boar and deer, should I go non-vegan.

I didn't buy with prepping in mind, but rather because I loved the property and buildings on it. There's even a church if I got all religious, though that is unlikely.  Did I mention the wine cellar? A man has to live, even in dark times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

If I to kill my own land critters, I couldn't do it.  

Wow, some folks are so soft.

Growing up we raised rabbits where at 12 years old I had to do the butchering. Whacking them in the back of the head with a 2x4 and skinning them was just a chore that didn't bother me since I was hunting wild game at the age of 10 with my 20 gauge shotgun.

34 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Growing up we raised rabbits where at 12 years old I had to do the butchering. Whacking them in the back of the head with a 2x4 and skinning them was just a chore that didn't bother me since I was hunting wild game at the age of 10 with my 20 gauge shotgun.

I used to trap them in the wild.  But had to check their livers for mixy spots before I ate them.

Edited by Adumbration

9 hours ago, Adumbration said:

It is funny that you guys are posting off hand jokes and nonsense.  You need to flag this post.  In the near future you will realise that this is a real and very important issue.  It may well be the most significant catalyst for China moving on Taiwan also.

how do you go from saying Thailand will have a food crises to china invading Taiwan?

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

I can butcher a deer.  I just can't shoot it and hang it.  Done a few for my brother, who is the opposite.  He'll shoot and hang it, but can't butcher it.   It that makes any sense at all. ????

8 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I don't often agree with Gecko but what he says is entirely true here.  Many of the stall holders at the fresh market just buy their meats at tesco and then resell at the market for a small profit.  That is why many Tescos have a maximum purchase amount on chicken breast and the like.  Also a great deal of the fruit does come from China or other countries (just look at the stickers on apples at your local market as just one relevant example).

Around our house in Issan the local fresh market has the full pig being cut up. My wife knows several of the sellers at the market and their vegetables are all from their local farms. My wife buys beef from the seller down the road. He typically has half a cow hanging and he just cuts off a piece. (comes with a bag of blood too). My wife when younger used to sell fish at that market that her dad caught early morning. 

Of course you decide to choose an apple which is very limited in Thailand. 

Due to forum rules I cant link to an article so do a google search for

"Thailand forges new path for food exports to China" 

You can check this out too https://www.statista.com/topics/5730/agriculture-in-thailand/#dossierKeyfigures

However, I'm not saying Thailand wouldn't have issues, Thailand might need to reduce or stop exports. 

Therefore reducing that selection of foods available, but there will be food available.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Will B Good said:

If the price of food around the world rockets AND it can be exported easily AND Thailand is dumb enough to export all its food, then we might be in trouble.........otherwise we are never going to be short of food in Thailand.

this.

although this part of your assumptions causes me to worry:

AND Thailand is dumb enough to ...

Edited by tgw
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Blast from the past, my father kept chickens at my grannies and she pickled the eggs.

Sad day when they stopped selling them in pubs.

What the chickens or the eggs ? ????

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Ground is a bit soggy up here in Chiang Mai, klong behind my house is full to the brim.

(see photo in previous post, buffalo swimming in klong, taken a couple of weeks back)

Are you sure that these are real buffalos?

I think it's a couple of farang, wearing a buffalo mask.
Waiting for you to leave the house and visit the lady.

Just now, RafPinto said:

Are you sure that these are real buffalos?

I think it's a couple of farang, wearing a buffalo mask.
Waiting for you to leave the house and visit the lady.

More like smoke his pot and steal his rabbit ????

17 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

You wanna go the Alfred E. Neuman ('What me worry?)' route, that's your choice, but labeling those who wish to take precautionary steps chicken-little alarmists, in my opinion, is simply denying the reality of the times we live in.

If that's aimed at me (I made the "chicken little" analogy) then I'd just point out that is wasn't in reference to the OP just talking about taking precautionary steps, it was about his prediction of a doomsday scenario where there will be, in his words, "just no food to buy."

That, and his predilection towards spreading doom and gloom in other posts he's made.

There's a difference between taking a few sensible precautions in case of shortages and price rises, and predicting a complete collapse of the world's food supply.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2022 at 2:11 PM, Adumbration said:

Don't act surprised when there is no food available for you to buy. You were warned.

"Thailand exported 1.01 million tonnes of livestock products valued at 106.65 billion baht in the first five months of the year" 

If it gets that bad that there is no food, those that have farms and food gardens will have to up their security, or get raided by hungry locals.

Shares will be the last thing to worry about if a starving population revolt because they cannot afford to buy anything to eat.

6 minutes ago, phetphet said:

If it gets that bad that there is no food, those that have farms and food gardens will have to up their security, or get raided by hungry locals.

Shares will be the last thing to worry about if a starving population revolt because they cannot afford to buy anything to eat.

Then its good to live in a village where the family lives and everybody knows each other, and most have family with land. Makes it easier to stand together in critical times. Of course everything have its limit, and having one leg in Europe and one leg in Thailand, is at least a good start, where family in both countries have farmland. 

Worst scenarios I would not even think of, but difficult times good to be prepared for. 

Edited by Hummin

On 6/22/2022 at 11:34 AM, Adumbration said:

The food supply crisis is going to get a lot more serious than you currently think. It is not just going to be about high and rising prices, it is going to be about there is just no food to buy.

The NY Times has a Food column called OFF THE MENU where it covers openings and closings of restaurants in NY City, the US, and sometimes around the world. Today's headline:

"Al Coro Opens in the Former Del Posto Space
An Italian restaurant with a Caprese influence, omakase in Chinatown, and more restaurant news."

So have the persons opening these new often multi-million dollar investment restaurants realize there may be "just no food to buy" to prepare and serve to their patrons?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/21/dining/nyc-restaurant-news.html

• Haha 1

Food insecurity is no laughing matter.

I do not worry for myself.

But, I DO worry for those who are more vulnerable.

This is no laughing matter.

In fact, it may soon prove to be a tragedy...

Just as the WHO has cautioned.

There is plenty of food.

Yet not enough equitable distribution.

Therefore, this is even more a tragedy.

Or, even more a tragicomedy.

We call ourselves sapiens.

Yet, we are the most foolish of all apes.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

36 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

It is for the 90% of members who are posting piffle on this thread.  They think they are being clever, but they are just showing how ignorant they are.

... or I've got a farm and a boat on the Andaman Sea and you don't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

It is for the 90% of members who are posting piffle on this thread.  They think they are being clever, but they are just showing how ignorant they are.

If living in a metro or suburbia of, then IF it ever happens, you will have some issues to deal with, if you survive the 1st month ... ????

My existence mirrors 'jerrymahoney', and I have no worries, along with family @ NBLP, with 70 rai farm, and all anyone, the family would need to be completely self sufficient.

Notice many posting are living the village life .. no worries.

If you're not, and need some heads up, then you may want to follow this YT'er:

• Like 2