Dangerous and selfish trucks

9 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

What is the benefit to the truck driver/owner? - Genuine question.

I thought these rubber flaps were designed to reduce the amount of water being sprayed from the truck wheels onto other vehicles.

Also chunks of mud, rocks, even bricks that get wedged between the the rear wheels and can come flying out. Although that particular one does look excessively wide.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The road was decribed as 'congested and narrow' so we can assume narrow lanes.

The picture in the OP indicates that a Toyota pickup wing mirror is higher than the obstruction. How about the mirrors on a Yaris or an Accord or an Attrage?

Lamborghini

1 hour ago, actonion said:

I've found Thais to be a very selfish nation of people on the whole.

That's not my experience.

Some little boys are inconsiderate, with their loud music & loud M/C & loud pickups - gov action indicated -

5 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Guess you missed "The road was congested and narrow" part.

Yeah but the lorries wide rear end flap is lower than my mirrors, knowing your bike I would of thought your wingmirrors would be too. 

12 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

Whenever I see  trucks with those extra wide rubber flaps can’t help but to think how selfish one must be to widen the truck for their own benefit with no concern regarding other motorists or people on the road. Not bothering with the legality of them although would be interested to know. 

I think they see it as doing it for your benefit.  To help keep rocks and such from hitting the cars behind them.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The road was decribed as 'congested and narrow' so we can assume narrow lanes.

The picture in the OP indicates that a Toyota pickup wing mirror is higher than the obstruction. How about the mirrors on a Yaris or an Accord or an Attrage?

See a lot of things on Thai roads that frankly wouldn't bother me it's an exaggeration and I was referring to and answering about a motorbike wing mirror.

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah but the lorries wide rear end flap is lower than my mirrors, knowing your bike I would of thought your wingmirrors would be too. 

Wasnt on the bike. Honda City.

Road congestion or not you keep your distant rule of thumb enough that you can see the vehicle in front their rear wheels.

As a commercial trained driver these trucks are normally used to haul dirt but the rear mat attached taking a guess if the truck bed loaded dirt can fall below the bed and kick back up to the rear vehicles if you are following close enough?  But usually your standard mug flaps would take care of that problem unless you follow too close reason back off unless you want your windshield cracked?

Like logic here it escape me with things at times but shouldn't be of any surprise there are double deckers buses modified right out of the factory that they aren't balances when going around corners as noted no enforcement so in time people do what they want many times we just say to our self?

2 hours ago, 2baht said:

Oh come on! It happened on a Wednesday afternoon a few months ago.

???? what kind people look for that stuff.

So will all the truck drivers have to take there wing mirrors off mine stick out the more than wheels. 

IMG_20220627_095900.thumb.jpg.1a3563479ebe49855a120340f8d79ab7.jpg

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Never heard of such a clamp down.

I went to have my car inspected to pay road tax and por ror bor recently and was told that the testing stations are now required to have photo evidence of the vehicles being tested, and that wheels/tyres protruding out of the wheel well can no longer be overlooked. 
Needless to say I didn’t/couldn’t pay my road tax that day 

13 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

no concern regarding other motorists or people on the road.

Where I lived in Isaan, it wasn't rubber flaps that were of concern but these, especially when overloaded:-

Phrae, Thailand - February 20, 2016: Old Truck Is Transporting Sugar Cane  To The Factory On February 20, 2016 At Phrae Province, Thailand Stock  Photo, Picture And Royalty Free Image. Image 54692767.

Many used to drive slowly in the righthand lane to avoid the trees overhanging the left hand lane. Sugar cane debris used to drop from lorries onto the road and canes were usually stacked beyond the tail board without the necessary red warning flag (usually a piece of rag of any color). Driving behind one of these with poor lights at night could be so hazardous.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The picture was a screenshot of a video online showing the pickup on its right unable to pass the truck. Those flaps are often in the front as well. The taking of so much extra space around your vehicle for whatever reason allowing less space for other vehicles on public roads is what amazes me the most. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Where I lived in Isaan, it wasn't rubber flaps that were of concern but these, especially when overloaded:-

Phrae, Thailand - February 20, 2016: Old Truck Is Transporting Sugar Cane  To The Factory On February 20, 2016 At Phrae Province, Thailand Stock  Photo, Picture And Royalty Free Image. Image 54692767.

Many used to drive slowly in the righthand lane to avoid the trees overhanging the left hand lane. Sugar cane debris used to drop from lorries onto the road and canes were usually stacked beyond the tail board without the necessary red warning flag (usually a piece of rag of any color). Driving behind one of these with poor lights at night could be so hazardous.

Couldn’t  agree more. Load until can load no more. I live along busy Rama2 road and see regularly those overloaded trucks on the side of the road with busted tyres or shocks and occasionally overturned. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Due to the venturi effect, the wet road spray comes mostly off the sides of speeding trucks and buses and not a lot sprays straight out the back.

LOL

So if i drive behind a truck on my motorbike i will stay 'mostly' dry - really?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Very dangerous the road is so busy. ????

1 hour ago, MadMuhammad said:

I went to have my car inspected to pay road tax and por ror bor recently and was told that the testing stations are now required to have photo evidence of the vehicles being tested, and that wheels/tyres protruding out of the wheel well can no longer be overlooked. 
Needless to say I didn’t/couldn’t pay my road tax that day 

Many trucks where we are located have wheels passed the wing covers.

Can you not get the wheels arch covers that are available to add to the trucks wheel arch, I see many trucks with those fitted.  

I will do that to my truck in 2 years time when it's due for 7 year inspection if they are bothering still about it. 

I think mine are just a bit out from the wheel arch if you look closely.

IMG_20220627_095900.thumb.jpg.afc2a83f9bc9f9b590336d71847333b4.jpg

Yes, it is selfish, self absorbed, mindless, and dangerous. But, why does it happen? Because of the lack of a highway patrol, actually patrolling the highways, and doing their jobs. And because of the spectacularly impotent RTP. Nobody considers anything they do, to be a deterrent, because they do next to nothing in the way of law enforcement. 

It appears to be a broken system. But, as often as I say that, I prefer it over the overly intrusive and oppressive law enforcement in the US. I prefer it when law enforcement and officials stay out of my face. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Not bothering with the legality" - thank you for this statement; it just made my day. Legality and Thailand in one sentence ......... legal is, what the oligarch elite says is legal - and everything else is a matter of interpretation, (mis)understanding and can mostly be fixed with the little (or bigger) brown manila envelopes! See the grandson of Red Bull, the little sweetheart as pure as legality comes (or the size of the envelopes rather?). 

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Many trucks where we are located have wheels passed the wing covers.

Can you not get the wheels arch covers that are available to add to the trucks wheel arch, I see many trucks with those fitted.  

I will do that to my truck in 2 years time when it's due for 7 year inspection if they are bothering still about it. 

I think mine are just a bit out from the wheel arch if you look closely.

IMG_20220627_095900.thumb.jpg.afc2a83f9bc9f9b590336d71847333b4.jpg

I’m in a different situation as I have a Cefiro that has been modified for drift, 45mm extended from lower control arms. 
The rears are also a wider rim with an offset that has them protrude also.

I did look for fibreglass or plastic bolt on flares but I couldn’t find anything perfectly suited, unfortunately.

Cue up about 60hrs of YouTube, many more hours of interwebs research, the purchase of a MIG welder and associated tools and a few months of frustration and trial & error, including 1 broken arm, I’m almost there!  

E2DF2457-9C50-4C4B-B76C-8DB1B3D102E0.jpeg

45ADA89A-F690-4C5A-8CC6-1B47062F5E02.jpeg

9A32D3B0-D2E2-4E39-BE47-5BF32ABB8C75.jpeg

BE3CBCC8-37D4-4D59-BBFF-7BAFE0C05ED7.jpeg

2A2920B9-FEC3-408A-989E-142FBA5E34C6.jpeg

CC82FA66-5BBA-414E-9E13-115BB00E783B.jpeg

06640E41-278E-4EEF-A774-72CC873970C6.jpeg

5CDC7B12-EEFF-4412-9B5D-3564EE63848D.jpeg

2C9B2427-9684-41F2-B505-137DD7C8CDE0.jpeg

CE58CF47-E51E-4C4C-A159-6AC2F7B320FA.jpeg

7818FD55-C1F7-4E98-B0B2-4A138879C38A.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes, it is selfish, self absorbed, mindless, and dangerous. But, why does it happen? Because of the lack of a highway patrol, actually patrolling the highways, and doing their jobs. And because of the spectacularly impotent RTP. Nobody considers anything they do, to be a deterrent, because they do next to nothing in the way of law enforcement. 

It appears to be a broken system. But, as often as I say that, I prefer it over the overly intrusive and oppressive law enforcement in the US. I prefer it when law enforcement and officials stay out of my face. 

The exception being if you are involved in a rta and the other party is a Thai , the odds are against you . Only yesterday my lady was hit in her car by a motor bike . The police came along with her insurance company  Motor rider clearly at fault . He did not have a crash helmet , no licence , no tax , no insurance . Police fined him 400 baht but he said he had no money . Police told him to go and be more careful in the future . Our insurance will pay for the car repairs but come next ins; renewal , I have no doubt that there will be a hike on the premiums , because of the claim .

38 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

I’m in a different situation as I have a Cefiro that has been modified for drift, 45mm extended from lower control arms. 
The rears are also a wider rim with an offset that has them protrude also.

I did look for fibreglass or plastic bolt on flares but I couldn’t find anything perfectly suited, unfortunately.

Cue up about 60hrs of YouTube, many more hours of interwebs research, the purchase of a MIG welder and associated tools and a few months of frustration and trial & error, including 1 broken arm, I’m almost there!  

E2DF2457-9C50-4C4B-B76C-8DB1B3D102E0.jpeg

45ADA89A-F690-4C5A-8CC6-1B47062F5E02.jpeg

9A32D3B0-D2E2-4E39-BE47-5BF32ABB8C75.jpeg

BE3CBCC8-37D4-4D59-BBFF-7BAFE0C05ED7.jpeg

2A2920B9-FEC3-408A-989E-142FBA5E34C6.jpeg

CC82FA66-5BBA-414E-9E13-115BB00E783B.jpeg

06640E41-278E-4EEF-A774-72CC873970C6.jpeg

5CDC7B12-EEFF-4412-9B5D-3564EE63848D.jpeg

2C9B2427-9684-41F2-B505-137DD7C8CDE0.jpeg

CE58CF47-E51E-4C4C-A159-6AC2F7B320FA.jpeg

7818FD55-C1F7-4E98-B0B2-4A138879C38A.jpeg

Great stuff well done. ????

I've got a couple of years yet the police here are not strict. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, PJ71 said:

There was recently a push to clamp down on the pick ups with the wheels that stick out past the wheel arches, doubt anything will change.

These tend to be the same pick ups that pump out the nasty black smoke.

Yep, very good analysis; 'wheels that stick out generate black smoke'. 

• Haha 1