Bangkok bank closures

essex boys

7 hours ago, xxeo said:

Well, to see that Bangkok Bank has a branch at North Pattaya road. Another few hundred meters away in Tesco Mall. Another probably close by in Terminal 21. Plus several ATMs ... A shrinking process makes sense, seems overdue, the more as Thais may discover online banking.

Some of us beed 24" screens to see!

On 7/5/2022 at 8:58 AM, cauldlad said:

The Bangkok Bank branch in Big C Extra Pattaya, has just closed two weeks ago.

Same at Big C on Phosi Road in Udon Thani which is one of the busiest shopping precincts in the city. Mind you, they still have a couple of ATM's in the standalone kiosk in the front parking lot (along with SCB, Krung Thai and Kasikorn) so no big deal for cash access. The branch inside had two ATM's, a deposit machine and the bank book shredder updater.

Maybe the rents got silly?

On 7/5/2022 at 12:56 PM, orchidfan said:

Totally agree.

Not only the necessary letter and statements for immigration, but getting a new passbook.....which I have to do this week because the pathetically small one they provide very quickly fills up !

Will have to stop doing updates !

Both my "local" BB and SCB branches have closed during Covid. 

One space now occupied by a Watson and the other a Starbucks. 

That local BB branch was 5 minutes from home. 

Now the nearest big Center is a 20 minute drive. 

Finally, I still withdraw my Oz pension# from a BB atm and deposit it into a CDM alongside. 

Think I'll have to look at opening a Wise account and use that to transfer to my BB account here.

# Oz pension (Superannuation) will only pay it into an Oz bank !

That is good for you as you can use Wise as I do & get a lot better rate than an Oz bank

Does anyone have any experiences with their Bangkok Bank branch closing?

Do they inform you?

Do you get adpopted by another branch?

Does the account number change? - I think these are tied into the branch.

And if your current branch supports additional features like foreign remittance and commercial/loan services, would you get transferred to a similarly capable branch?

I only ask as BBL seems the most stringent in requiring one to work with their "home" branch for many services.

3 hours ago, Happy Howard said:

That is good for you as you can use Wise as I do & get a lot better rate than an Oz bank

I've started the Wise account process, which was a pain being 71 and trying to take a selfie holding my passport open.

Finally got "Approved" so now the next step is depositing some money into the Wise AUD account.

I think I've registered my BB account here as the one to receive funds, but just have to work out how to transfer money from my Westpac account to Wise. 

Any tips or advice greatly appreciated. 

29 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

I've started the Wise account process, which was a pain being 71 and trying to take a selfie holding my passport open.

Finally got "Approved" so now the next step is depositing some money into the Wise AUD account.

I think I've registered my BB account here as the one to receive funds, but just have to work out how to transfer money from my Westpac account to Wise. 

Any tips or advice greatly appreciated. 

Contact  your bank and up a transfer with your bank to Wise account, once the transfer details are on your account every time you want to transfer to Wise the details will be there.

On 7/4/2022 at 9:11 PM, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

When I landed at Swampy a couple of months back I was shocked to learn that the THREE Bangkok Bank ATMs out front were out-of-service

Saw a few out-of-service BBK ATMs here in Pattaya too.  Not a good look.

"This machine is out of service" usually just means that those ATMs were out of cash, nothing more onerous than that. They're not connected to a limitless supply of notes for restocking.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Contact  your bank and up a transfer with your bank to Wise account, once the transfer details are on your account every time you want to transfer to Wise the details will be there.

Thanks for that but where do I tell Westpac to send it to ?

I dont have an account number for my new Wise AUD account ?

On 7/5/2022 at 9:38 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Imagine you're a tourist and when you arrive you discover that to use an ATM you need a Thai ID card. Of course, that would never occur to Thais as they never think of the consequences of what they do. So, eventually, expect a typically Thai U-turn.

"Imagine ... to use an ATM you need a Thai ID card..."

That situation does not exist and, obviously, will never exist while there are still ATMs in the world.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 7/5/2022 at 9:56 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Deutsche Bank has no more cash at most of their branches. I was somewhat puzzled to read this.

Completely false.  The bank's head of domestic retail services said last month that is what he wants in the future, that's all.  There is no timeline for his "proposal" to be implemented.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 7/5/2022 at 11:18 AM, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

This of course assumes that I have no experience with using Bangkok Bank cards in other bank ATMs, and that that experience didn't leave me without a card.

How fun would it be to lose my only Thailand card at the tail end of 40 hours of travel and with only 120 baht in my pocket?

Can't imagine anyone travelling internationally with less than £3/$3.3 cash on them...why would you do that while only carrying  a Thai ATM?

24 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

People in parts of China cannot withdraw their money now. 

That is true only for two or three specific rural banks that have accepted deposits from customers outside an area in which those deposits are permitted, it is not "a run" on Chinese banks as you seem to be suggesting.

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2022 at 7:10 AM, kiteman9 said:

The bank teller told my wife that the reason is that most Thais do their banking on their phone now.

Sure. That makes sense.

For cash withdrawals  I  have a cash printer attachment for my phone. Saves a lot of trouble in getting cash. I highly recommend them.

For cash deposits I attach cash with rubber bands to my phone and throw it towards the bank as I drive by.

So there is really no need to bother with those pesky ATM machines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

People won't be happy when the banks go under and take all the money in their bank accounts with them.

People in parts of China cannot withdraw their money now. 

That is what governments all over yhe world wishing for....a total control over your money ....especially your cash ......trying to make that non existing in future 

1 push on a button and you can not acces no more your money ....

Remeber CASH IS KING ...( and Gold Emperor..????...as "they" can't print Gold...????)

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, JustThisOnePostOnly said:
23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Can't imagine anyone travelling internationally with less than £3/$3.3 cash on them...why would you do that while only carrying  a Thai ATM?

120 baht, read again.  Another pointless post from you.

Read my comment again, this is the part you ignored...

"...travelling internationally with less than £3/$3.3 cash on them...".

Why the flame/personal attack, don't you know the rules?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 7/10/2022 at 1:41 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

@Jumbo1968,

Just wanted to say thanks for your help. 

Have successfully set up  Wise AUD and THB accounts, topped up the AUD account from my Oz bank.....which was almost instantaneous.....then transferred the money to my Thai BB account which they (Wise) converted at exactly the same exchange rate as quoted on XE..

The money was in my BB in minutes !

I'm just kicking myself that I hadn't done this years ago and not wasted all those fees from Oz bank, local ATM fee and lousy exchange rate. 

Really excellent !

(My only one small hassle was doing a clear selfie showing face and passport page....but after about 8 tries it was accepted and ID verification done)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

@Jumbo1968,

Just wanted to say thanks for your help. 

Have successfully set up  Wise AUD and THB accounts, topped up the AUD account from my Oz bank.....which was almost instantaneous.....then transferred the money to my Thai BB account which they (Wise) converted at exactly the same exchange rate as quoted on XE..

The money was in my BB in minutes !

I'm just kicking myself that I hadn't done this years ago and not wasted all those fees from Oz bank, local ATM fee and lousy exchange rate. 

Really excellent !

(My only one small hassle was doing a clear selfie showing face and passport page....but after about 8 tries it was accepted and ID verification done)

No problem, yes the selfie is the biggest problem, I set my account a few years ago and security was a bit more lax.

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2022 at 1:27 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

There is no need to add funds to your Wise account.

When you create a transaction fill in the required details when you Select confirm you will be given several options for settlement

PayId ,direct bank transfer and others.

On your first transaction Westpac will check the Wise account for veracity so may take a day or to to complete the transaction 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2022 at 9:38 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Imagine you're a tourist and when you arrive you discover that to use an ATM you need a Thai ID card. Of course, that would never occur to Thais as they never think of the consequences of what they do. So, eventually, expect a typically Thai U-turn.

I noticed several months back that Kasikorn ATM's are the first to have a Thai ID card reader slot. This is for certain transactions that only a Thai person can do on their account, either the bank or with another Thai person account. No foreigners will be discomfited by this security infrastructure upgrade.

Nothing to see here, move along now.

• Confused 1