Glued watertaps

peterfranks

36 minutes ago, carlyai said:

That's great to get that jib done.

When you say he sawed the tap out, do you mean with an angle grinder?

Unlikely, he almost certainly used a hacksaw blade to cut a relief slot in the cheap pot metal stub that was in the housing so releasing pressure in the threads, a method I know of but hadn’t remembered when writing before, it is also not very easy to do and if the broken section is quality SS almost impossible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Unlikely, he almost certainly used a hacksaw blade to cut a relief slot in the cheap pot metal stub that was in the housing so releasing pressure in the threads, a method I know of but hadn’t remembered when writing before, it is also not very easy to do and if the broken section is quality SS almost impossible.

Correct, he used a hacksaw blade, and cut piece by piece out of the metal stub, which he removed one by one with a screwdriver.

I had a similar problem with a shower fitting. It was screwed into a brass threaded blue plastic pipe. 

The metal of the broken fitting was thin and quite easy to brake so I applied a bit of panic + logic and figured that if the fitting could break so easily then so would the threaded bit still inside the pipe. 

With a bit of judicious poking and levering about with a sharp pointy scribe and a small screwdriver or two, the  bit inside the pipe became bits and literally fell out. The threaded pipe was fine and a new fitting was inserted with no problem.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2022 at 3:31 PM, EricTh said:

I find that Thai technicians really have poor workmanship. They just want do it quick and get the money.

I have had many problems from poor Thai workmanship.

And this observation helps the OP how exactly?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

I had a similar problem with a shower fitting. It was screwed into a brass threaded blue plastic pipe. 

The metal of the broken fitting was thin and quite easy to brake so I applied a bit of panic + logic and figured that if the fitting could break so easily then so would the threaded bit still inside the pipe. 

With a bit of judicious poking and levering about with a sharp pointy scribe and a small screwdriver or two, the  bit inside the pipe became bits and literally fell out. The threaded pipe was fine and a new fitting was inserted with no problem.

Sorry. I forgot to mention the junior hacksaw blade which I used to weaken the thread in one place.