LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

58 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:
1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

Wealthy Global Citizen * Qualifications and Criteria 

• 1$ Mil USD assets
  • income 80k USD per year last two years
  • 500k USD investment in Thailand

Does the applicant need meet all three criteria or just one of the three?

I'm not in a mood to invest $500k USD in Thailand at this time.

Yes all three criteria

Edited by aublumberg
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Misty said:

Yes, the BoI staff said that the medical certificate was required for issuing the digital work permit.  Since there was no section designated to upload it to, I uploaded it to the "Other" category. 

The BoI staff said I could also have attached it to the WP46 pdf and uploaded it there.

how can you fill in WP46? That form looks like you have already had some employer in Thailand to hire you.  

12 minutes ago, JJJJJJJJ said:

how can you fill in WP46? That form looks like you have already had some employer in Thailand to hire you.  

Yes, that's correct. I'm employed by my Thai company - I cancelled my old work, paper work permit to apply for the digital work permit.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, K2938 said:

FYI

image.png.90810fac3471f1050f635c7d4b021255.png

I wonder if the genesis of this disclaimer is caused by visa agents, lawyers, scammers, etc., beginning to advertise they can hand-walk a person thru the LTR application for a fee?  

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Pib said:

I wonder if the genesis of this disclaimer is caused by visa agents, lawyers, scammers, etc., beginning to advertise they can hand-walk a person thru the LTR application for a fee? 

I am sure that is the reason.  Also maybe not only "hand-walk", but also more "advanced" services...  And since the target group is more wealthy it can be charged more so this probably can be quite a profitable business for whoever is doing it.

Edited by K2938

And I wonder if Boi is considering outsourcing "part or all" of the LTR application process to include LTR website management.   I could easily see where part of the process could be outsourced like website management and doing the "initial" processing/review of applications.  And then at the tail-end of the application process BoI would then take the baton to do a final review, provide final coordination with other govt agencies like Immigration/Dept of Employment, and final approval.  Kinda like a 10 lap track race....maybe the first 9 laps would be run by a contracted third party who has a contract with BoI and then BoI takes the baton to run the final/10th lap.

I think the probability of BoI outsourcing the entire process is very remote but "partially" outsourcing some of the process like the initial review of applications and website management should be quite doable, but I'm also sure there are a lot of laws/regulations/policies/rice bowls which might not make such a move easy.   

It sure would be nice if the BoI could improve the application efficiency to where they could routinely meet their 20 working days goal of reaching a final decision (approved or disapproved).  Right now that 20 working day goal seems to be the exception vs the norm.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Misty said:

On returning, there was again a short discussion among the IOs.  Then a passport stamp that says "Admitted until 25/12/2027".  So it seems I'm being admitted on a rolling 5 year basis.  Not sure this is the way it is supposed to work ...

Am curious if others who have re-entered with an LTR visa are getting rolling 5 year stamps like this?

Definitely not they way is supposed to work ???? but who am I to argue. Mine is fixed date every time, 5 years from first entry. It may be due to the fact that you traveled via DMK and not BKK so maybe less LTR expertise.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Saraburi121 said:

Applied November 21 for the Wealthy Pensioner and was approved December 23rd.  BOI appointment in early January.  Used US Military retirement pay, VA disability pay and local insurance.  No issues with the process.  No more trying to hit a moving goal with my provincial immigration!  

Congratulations and enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Saraburi121 said:

Applied November 21 for the Wealthy Pensioner and was approved December 23rd.

Record short time, but amazing how uneven processing times are.  There are people who do not hear anything for several months and there are others where everything gets done in record time.  So the "pensioner visa get processed very slowly, Work-from-Thailand professionals have it better" theory also does not seem to be valid any longer.  Just seems to be pretty unpredictable.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, K2938 said:

Record short time, but amazing how uneven processing times are.  There are people who do not hear anything for several months and there are others where everything gets done in record time.  So the "pensioner visa get processed very slowly, Work-from-Thailand professionals have it better" theory also does not seem to be valid any longer.  Just seems to be pretty unpredictable.

@Saraburi121Used a local insurance.

• Thumbs Up 1

I received my work-from-Thailand professional visa a couple of weeks ago (applied sep 1st, inked it in on dec 14th) , when I received my visa  at BOI in Bangkok I asked about getting a work permit for a “second” job in my Thai company and was told that it would be possible. 

Yesterday I sent an email to LTR asking for some more information about this and received a reply today stating that

Work-from-Thailand Professionals category cannot request for digital work permit because the main intention for this category is to work for company outside Thailand, not for company inside Thailand.”

So I wonder who is correct, the agent at BOI that I met with or the person who replied to my email. 

this also raises some questions:

1st: potential pathway to permanent residency or citizenship, because from what I’ve read there is a requirement to hold a work permit to be eligible.

https://www.belaws.com/thailand/thailand-ltr-visa/

“Can you achieve Thai citizenship with the LTR visa?

The LTR visa is a resident visa, therefore it is possible to apply for permanent residency or citizenship. Applicants are subject to the same application requirements as other visa types.“

2nd: where can I find the law that says that I can legally work for my foreign employer on my computer holding a LTR visa when I’m in Thailand because I’m pretty sure I’ve read that you can do that with LTR, whereas previously it was said that you can not work online in Thailand without a work permit, ie. making remote work illegal?

Also some other things you need a work permit for, 5 year driving license for example, so that will also not be available for those of us who have the WFTP category. 

If one reads under the “WHAT PRIVILEGES WILL BE OFFERED TO LTR VISA HOLDERS” on the LTR webpage it doesn’t say that WFTP are excluded from exemption of 4 Thai to 1 foreigner or permission to work in Thailand (digital work permit)

Edited by User3847385
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, User3847385 said:

I received my work-from-Thailand professional visa a couple of weeks ago (applied sep 1st, inked it in on dec 14th) , when I received my visa  at BOI in Bangkok I asked about getting a work permit for a “second” job in my Thai company and was told that it would be possible. 

Yesterday I sent an email to LTR asking for some more information about this and received a reply today stating that

Work-from-Thailand Professionals category cannot request for digital work permit because the main intention for this category is to work for company outside Thailand, not for company inside Thailand.”

So I wonder who is correct, the agent at BOI that I met with or the person who replied to my email. 

1st: potential pathway to permanent residency or citizenship, because from what I’ve read there is a requirement to hold a work permit to be eligible.

The LTR visa is a resident visa, therefore it is possible to apply for permanent residency or citizenship. Applicants are subject to the same application requirements as other visa types.“

2nd: where can I find the law that says that I can legally work for my foreign employer on my computer holding a LTR visa when I’m in Thailand because I’m pretty sure I’ve read that you can do that with LTR, whereas previously it was said that you can not work online in Thailand without a work permit, ie. making remote work illegal?

WFT P category holders are not eligible for work permits and logically do not require them. 

As the email reply, stated work permits are only for employees of Thai based companies.

Interestingly dependants of  LTR WFTP holders can apply for digital work permits and work for a Thai employer. But the WFTP holder cannot as logically their  whole visa status is based on being employed by a foreign employer.

As for your second question- that's the entire point of the WFTP category with all the associated directions and laws on the LTR site.

This category is in fact, the only truly legal and fully legitimate way of working online for a foreign employer from Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, User3847385 said:

Also some other things you need a work permit for, 5 year driving license for example, so that will also not be available for those of us who have the WFTP category. 

If one reads under the “WHAT PRIVILEGES WILL BE OFFERED TO LTR VISA HOLDERS” on the LTR webpage it doesn’t say that WFTP are excluded from exemption of 4 Thai to 1 foreigner or permission to work in Thailand (digital work permit)

Some great questions - some of the answers may be found in the legal documents downloadable at this link:  https://ltr.boi.go.th/page/laws-regulations.html

Would be good if there was also an English language FAQ including answers to your questions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, User3847385 said:

Sounds like you need to bounce the question off BoI again since one BoI rep said yes but another BoI said no.  You need to politely point out the conflicting answers.   Note: before I applied for my LTR Pensioner I asked BoI via email a medical insurance question and their reply weeks later ended up being completely wrong.  Kinda like they initially answered with a firm "Yes" but when applying it turned out to be a "No."   If I was you I would call BoI to ask your question again and see if you can talk to someone who is just not the "all purpose customer support rep" which might answer as such reps may not be inexperienced on some questions/issues. 

I don't see anything on the LTR website that says a LTR Work from Thailand Professional could not be issued a digit work permit....in fact the Work from Thailand Professional application has a Work Permit area for completion "if" you plan to or are currently working in Thailand.

Link to application

https://ltr.boi.go.th/documents/Work-From-Thailand-Professional.pdf

Partial snapshot from the application regarding work permitimage.png.af64d72afb1c785a2483bbde92cbaec3.png

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, User3847385 said:

I received my work-from-Thailand professional visa a couple of weeks ago (applied sep 1st, inked it in on dec 14th)...

When was your LTR "approved?"  You said you got it "inked into your passport" on 14 Dec which means the Approval would have been sometime earlier.   Since having the LTR actually put in/inked into your passport depends on when a person makes an appointment at BoI or applies at an embassy which could be up to 60 days after approval, knowing the "approval" date gives folks a better picture of how long your application took from submission to approval.  Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2022 at 10:26 AM, ThailandRyan said:

my passport was stamped again with my original end date (Admitted until) of 7 Oct 2027, so it appears that immigration is doing things differently than they should.

If I recall correctly, you got a reentry permit stamp when you went to BoI to get your LTR visa. And Imm is programmed to look for a reentry stamp, then use its "until" date as the same "until" date on your new permission of stay stamp. Misty has no reentry stamp (or any stamps), having gone the out-of-country route. Thus, Imm reaches for the stamp commensurate with type of visa: Non Imm O, 90 days; Tourist, 60 days; Non Imm OA, one year. Thus, as long as visa hasn't expired, Imm has a rote procedure. Now added to this procedure is a five-year stamp for a non expired LTR visa.

Now, there might be some head scratching when the IO sees both a non expired visa AND a related reentry stamp. I guess in Ryan's case, the reentry stamp took precedence. But I could see where the other way might prevail....

Anyway, more a curiosity than a problem, as I'm sure whatever permission of stay stamp is in your passport at the 5 year point, you'll still need to show up somewhere to validate your bonafides. Hopefully by then they'll have satellite offices scattered around Thailand, particularly in Chiang Mai, in my case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Pib said:

I asked BoI via email a medical insurance question and their reply weeks later ended up being completely wrong.  Kinda like they initially answered with a firm "Yes" but when applying it turned out to be a "No." 

Pib, maybe I missed it in this long thread, but did they completely shut down the option to use Tricare? If so, what was their reason(s)?

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

If I recall correctly, you got a reentry permit stamp when you went to BoI to get your LTR visa. And Imm is programmed to look for a reentry stamp, then use its "until" date as the same "until" date on your new permission of stay stamp. Misty has no reentry stamp (or any stamps), having gone the out-of-country route. Thus, Imm reaches for the stamp commensurate with type of visa: Non Imm O, 90 days; Tourist, 60 days; Non Imm OA, one year. Thus, as long as visa hasn't expired, Imm has a rote procedure. Now added to this procedure is a five-year stamp for a non expired LTR visa.

Now, there might be some head scratching when the IO sees both a non expired visa AND a related reentry stamp. I guess in Ryan's case, the reentry stamp took precedence. But I could see where the other way might prevail....

Anyway, more a curiosity than a problem, as I'm sure whatever permission of stay stamp is in your passport at the 5 year point, you'll still need to show up somewhere to validate your bonafides. Hopefully by then they'll have satellite offices scattered around Thailand, particularly in Chiang Mai, in my case.

This, makes complete sense now when I actually sit back and think about it, and does create an anomaly and inconsistency for LTR Visa Holders from inside the country who were actually stamped in their PP and did not receive an e-visa

As you wrote:

"Misty has no reentry stamp (or any stamps), having gone the out-of-country route. Thus, Imm reaches for the stamp commensurate with type of visa: Non Imm O, 90 days; Tourist, 60 days; Non Imm OA, one year. Thus, as long as visa hasn't expired, Imm has a rote procedure. Now added to this procedure is a five-year stamp for a non expired LTR visa."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

This, makes complete sense now when I actually sit back and think about it, and does create an anomaly and inconsistency for LTR Visa Holders from inside the country who were actually stamped in their PP and did not receive an e-visa

As you wrote:

"Misty has no reentry stamp (or any stamps), having gone the out-of-country route. Thus, Imm reaches for the stamp commensurate with type of visa: Non Imm O, 90 days; Tourist, 60 days; Non Imm OA, one year. Thus, as long as visa hasn't expired, Imm has a rote procedure. Now added to this procedure is a five-year stamp for a non expired LTR visa."

But regarding when will a person be required to apply for the 2nd 5 years of the 10 year visa although a person might end up with rolling, conflicting permitted to stay until stamps in their passport from traveling in & out of the country, I fully expect a person's renewal window to get the 2nd 5 years will be based on when the LTR visa was actually "issued" at BoI or an embassy.   I'm fully expect the clock will start ticking based on the LTR issued date (not the approval date but the issued dat) and we'll see more guidance regarding that on the LTR website.  

Right now the BoI is probably still developing the exact procedure/process for that 2nd 5 years which will not come due until Sep 2027 since the first LTR visa issued only just occurred staring a few months ago in Sep 2022.  Plus I expect BoI knows there could be LTR policy changes (for the better or worst) between now and Sep 2027 which could alter the 2nd 5 years procedure/policy.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

To me BoI was indirectly saying my military Tricare coverage did not meet the requirements probably because it did not have an "end-date" as most civilian policies have both a specific start date for the current annual coverage and also a specific end date 12 months down the road.  I had also seen posts in other forums talking LTR applications where applicants with "open-ended, group" type policies which typically do not have an end date reflected on the policy also not being accepted by BoI.   Opened ended, group type policies many times do "not" have a policy end date as long as you are still kicking and paying the premiums (if any premiums are needed). Typically these are government-provided/sponsored policies. Although these open-ended, group type medical coverage policies provide outstanding worldwide coverage (like Tricare), unfortunately, the lack of the policy showing an end-date at least 10 months down the road is probably why it failed to satisfy BoI. 

@PibTwo questions I would like to ask you if I may:

1) Did you try to explain this to the BOI supporting your statements about the open-endedness of the policy with appropriate documentation and this was futile or you did not really bother to further go down this route since you had the bank deposit alternative?

2) I think you called the BOI several times.  So I take it you never actually managed to talk to the person doing your case, but just generic people who really do not know much more than what is shown on their process status screen?

Edited by K2938
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, User3847385 said:

Regarding the Thai citizenship question it would indeed provide a pathway to Thai citizenship simply because it a way of staying in Thailand for at least 3 years and working on a work permit for at least 3 years which would meet the core requirements of applying for Permanent Residence (PR) if you are a single person.  Now if you are married to a Thai then the pathway to Thai citizenship is a little different but even that pathway requires some type of visa to stay in Thailand long enough to meet citizenship requirements.  

I think below website provides good info on "obtaining Thai citizenship" as each person's particular situation will affect the pathway to citizenship.

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1