Hospital, Insurance, and Immigration problem.

I can just speculate, but when the insurance company denies the payout the hospital will try to get the money from your friend.
If they report him to immigration and immigration deports and blacklists him, the hospital will never see the money.

So they might decide to not report him. Of course they will want the money from him.

14 hours ago, afm171 said:

and it will also show that he was already in Thailand when the insurance policy was purchased in his home country, which is against the terms of that policy.

Seeing that he was already an over stayer---why did he bother to pay for an insurance  in another country that would be invalid. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

So that he can get treatment first.

Are you saying that he took the insurance out after he had the accident Kopitiam ?--- because that doesn't feasible.

I take it he took out travel insurance, that can be more expensive then normal insurance--but  If he just needed accident insurance, then you can get that from nearly any Thailand Bank for about 5,000 a year--under a 100 baht a week.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I drove hapless moron to the hospital a few hours ago and... nothing happened. Just in and out without any issue. I guess that means the foreign insurance company paid out, because no one in the hospital bothered him about payment, nor about his passport at all.  

So the original question about hospital procedure for deadbeat farangs remains unanswered. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, afm171 said:

So the original question about hospital procedure for deadbeat farangs remains unanswered

Don't believe one word of your thread. 

BTW you post.....

"I drove hapless moron to the hospital a few hours ago and... nothing happened"

Why did you bother going to hospital?

They don't have his pp.

Edited by DrJack54

On 7/9/2022 at 8:02 PM, Kenny202 said:

As far as him asking for money being a problem. Its only a problem if you give it to him. Just have a story ready your funds frozen etc. Job done. If hes that sketchy with his passport / visa no way you'll see that money again

....Or just say "No"!

The hospital asked for his passport but he didn’t have it.  But the hospital already had it on file from a previous operation.  
If the story is true. Just another quality tourist or expat. What ever the person is now.  Taking advantage of the system. 
Hopefully the authorities catch up to him and take the necessary action.

On 7/9/2022 at 7:34 PM, afm171 said:

no idea, but if things go poorly I'm pretty sure he'll ask to borrow the money from me

Good way to lose your money. 

Your friend sounds like a Dodgy character, no visa, overstay ????

Find a new friend, try soi 6, I've got lots of girlfriends, the girls in the bars are always asking me for money but I'm treated like a king.

Over the years I've seen your friends type come and go, once he's deported you won't hear from him again. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Something not quite right about this story. Hospitals always check ID/passports before giving treatment as do insurance companies before granting cover and paying out and Police follow up overstayers???

Plot for a soap episode???

Travel insurance companies don't check passports before buying, also sometimes don't check when claiming, probably do for larger claims though

Edited by scubascuba3

On 7/10/2022 at 8:19 PM, DrJack54 said:

Don't believe one word of your thread. 

BTW you post.....

"I drove hapless moron to the hospital a few hours ago and... nothing happened"

Why did you bother going to hospital?

They don't have his pp.

I've been registered with the Police General Hospital be for the last 20 years and have had many visits during the last 12 months. On EVERY VISIT my wife has to show my passport. Not interested in pink ID card, just passport.

"he was already in Thailand when the insurance policy was purchased in his home country, which is against the terms of that policy."

This is why the hospital has asked for copy of the passport, despite having the face page already on file  - because the insurance company is requiring it to release payment (and will not release payment when they see that he had already entered Thailand when the policy was purchased).

Normally hospitals have no interest in visas and entry stamps, they ask to see passport only for identification. This is all due to the insurance co requirement.

Since in any case the insurance is not going to pay the hospital, obviously he should not show his passport to the hospital; instead he should just pay the bill, which is all the hospital really cares about.

And then he should immediately leave the country, paying 20k fine on the way out. He will be banned for a time for re-entry into Thailand. This is all still better than the alternative which is, sooner or later, being apprehended and jailed and then ultimately deported.

Do nto lend him money unless you are prepared for it to be a gift i.e. do nto expect repayment.

• Like 2

Your friend will not accept the good advice that several have made: he should leave Thailand immediately (20,.000 baht fine and, probably three year ban from returning to Thailand). Since he is too stupid to take the proffered advice, sooner or later, he is going to end up in the Immigration Detention Centre (IDC). He will remain there until he can pay for his deportation. For many people, this can mean years in detention under unpleasant circumstances. Since he is American, he is lucky. Most likely the US authorities will advance the money to get him out of the IDC and back to the US. Once they do, his passport is history, and any ban from returning to Thailand is moot.